Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times

Advertisements

Whoever left this msg on the rep comments: "so right on economics so wrong on civil liberties"

An interesting point that I would love to explore in detail. If you don't want to discuss it in the open, then just pm me.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 03:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The "average person" gets more bang for their buck in Texas

Your move from Hartford, CT to Dallas, TX....
Groceries will cost: 20% less
Housing will cost 49% less
Utilities will cost:13% less
Transportation will cost:7% less
Healthcare will cost:8% less

And the annual average salary in Hartford Conn.
$39,954.00 and in Dallas TX it's $39,281.00
You know all this internal outsourcing is really amusing. Each state acts like a third world country, wooing this company or that with bigger and better tax incentives, promises of an anti-union environment when all folks are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Company B flees Michigan because Texas or Mississippi promises bit tax breaks and lower wages, great for Texas but does absolutely nothing for the aggregate economy. Soon Nevada will offer the former Michigan company now in Texas even bigger tax breaks and even lower wages now Michigan and Texas are out of tax revenue and the company moves to Nevada and the cycle just repeats itself.

Sort of funny actually.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:05 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well basically you are asking to destroy unions then, because it's real real easy for a company to discriminate against union employees versus non-union at their company. It destroys the power of the union to back up their bargaining with the threat of an effective strike. Companies do not bargain in good faith when that occurs.

States can allow right to work laws, but like all hypocritical conservatives....you don't value States rights in this case....you want States that don't agree with your right wing radicalism to have it imposed on them from on high by the Federal government.

So typical of "small government" conservatives with these double standards.
I guess you are a union member.

The problem public union is they elect their own boss. And them these bosses they elect put mandatory law in place.

Sure, you as a public employee does not have to join a union, but most pay due. You don't have to write check to them. They doing you a favor and taking it directly out of your paycheck.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What if I DON'T want a union active and working on my behalf. What if i want my employment and it's parameters to be between myself and the employer?
Then you can go to a different company. Your choice.

Quote:
Like I said, I have a darned good non union job, paying more to me than people in unions performing the same type of work.

In fact, I have health care, 401K with company match, pension benefits, work benefits, excellent working environment, and great co workers.. I am GLAD we don't have a union, and would hate to be forced into joining one, just to work.
Then you have nothing to complain about.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:49 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
GOP Senators Introduce National 'Right-to-Work' Bill to Restrict Unions - FoxNews.com

I am all for this.. There should NEVER be a closed shop, requiring people to join a union for the right to work somewhere. In fact I believe it's ANTI-American, because to force someone to Join a UNION and PAY dues to it, just for the privilege of working, is so wrong it makes me ill.
Don't care for the right to work concept, as it is commonly understood, being codified into law. The existence of such a law lends imprimatur to breach of contract. I find that wholly unacceptable, as one must have an obligation under such circumstances to live up to their prior agreements.

If one does not wish to be locked into such an avenue by contract constraints such that it may limit their possibilities of choosing future employees (i.e. independent, non-union employees), then one must be cautious (as one always should) when entering into contracts that have either unfavorable or future-limiting terms. The issue at hand is a very foreseeable one a priori, and so there really can't even be a pretense that the breach should be allowable for utilitarian reasons due to unforeseen circumstances of this type. Those who enter into such an agreement with a union that they know will lock out independent employees, do so willingly, and must abide by that contract for its duration.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-09-2011 at 05:06 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You know all this internal outsourcing is really amusing. Each state acts like a third world country, wooing this company or that with bigger and better tax incentives, promises of an anti-union environment when all folks are doing is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Company B flees Michigan because Texas or Mississippi promises bit tax breaks and lower wages, great for Texas but does absolutely nothing for the aggregate economy. Soon Nevada will offer the former Michigan company now in Texas even bigger tax breaks and even lower wages now Michigan and Texas are out of tax revenue and the company moves to Nevada and the cycle just repeats itself.

Sort of funny actually.
Well, I'd say the third world country scenario is a stretch and just as laughable to say, that's what right to work States will become, when not under mandatory unionized control.

They do have unions in right to work states - it's just
not mandatory that you join one.

As far as the analogy of the Titanic - it certainly applies
here

Steven Greenhut: Public Employee Unions Are Sinking California - WSJ.com

Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well basically you are asking to destroy unions then, because it's real real easy for a company to discriminate against union employees versus non-union at their company. It destroys the power of the union to back up their bargaining with the threat of an effective strike. Companies do not bargain in good faith when that occurs.

States can allow right to work laws, but like all hypocritical conservatives....you don't value States rights in this case....you want States that don't agree with your right wing radicalism to have it imposed on them from on high by the Federal government.

So typical of "small government" conservatives with these double standards.

X2

brushrunner

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I guess you are a union member.

The problem public union is they elect their own boss. And them these bosses they elect put mandatory law in place.

Sure, you as a public employee does not have to join a union, but most pay due. You don't have to write check to them. They doing you a favor and taking it directly out of your paycheck.
Yea I paid Dues but I'm drawing a Living Pension with Health Benifits.And made the best Pay in the area when I was working.

brushrunner

Old 03-09-2011, 06:35 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
What is with the wackos on this thread? If unions are so wonderful they will not be impacted by the right to work. Everyone will be dying to pay dues to enrich the union fat cats!

God knows the other 90% of us are slaves.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Corporations run the government and the economy. They get the biggest tax breaks which all of us workers have to pay in some form or another. Unions are the only thing representing the workers. I will never give up the only thing I might have going for me even if I have to pay something to retain that defense. In my state, a "right to work" really means I can be fired for no stated reason. In other words, I really have NO right to work. Do we really want a society without any job security? Do we really want the corporatocracy to determine everything? This is a country of people, not corporations, not pieces of paper. It is not an economy, it is a country created by actual living human beings. Their work should be rewarded, not diminished to fulfill some business' bottom line.
Great point, mhouse. I have worked for a Telco, a union shop in a right to work state. I was a supervisor of both union workers and non-union. The benefit to me for being in a union shop is that my pay was REQUIRED to be a certain percentage higher than the highest paid union worker. Really, this just blew my pay right past the national average pay.

I fully support your right to belong to a union. But I don't believe it should be an obligation of a company or the state to withdraw your Union fees from your check to then distribute to the Union. Should an employee choose to belong to a Union then that employee should fork over the cash directly to the Union, just like you give money to the guy assembling your poboy at lunch. If for no purpose other than witnessing your cold hard cash leaving your hands as you hand it to the Union fat cat.

Make sure you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies