Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:04 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The "average person" gets more bang for their buck in Texas

Your move from Hartford, CT to Dallas, TX....
Groceries will cost: 20% less
Housing will cost 49% less
Utilities will cost:13% less
Transportation will cost:7% less
Healthcare will cost:8% less

And the annual average salary in Hartford Conn.
$39,954.00 and in Dallas TX it's $39,281.00
Way to abuse statistics.

You picked Connecticut's poorest city, which is not at all representative of the state.

Median family income in Connecticut: $64,877
Median family income in Texas: $48,259

Connecticut also buries Texas in percentage of college graduates, quality of public secondary education and a number of other QOL statistics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:08 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Then you can go to a different company. Your choice.

Then you have nothing to complain about.
Oh, I get it. A qualified candidate is unable to apply for certain jobs because he is forced to become a union member and then he is forced to contribute to the democrat party.

So only union members get the cushy government jobs.

Look what happened in Indiana after Daniels rescinded CB for PS employees - 90% opted out of joining the union.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:49 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I absolutely want a country without job security.
One of the strangest things I have ever read.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Unions are the only thing representing the workers.
If that were true, why do non-union employers dare exist?
They must be abusing their workers, day and night, without any regard for them.

Subjectively speaking, I grew up in an area that was dominated by unions, and all I noticed was the nepotism, graft and corruption. But what do I know? I didn't even join the Musicians Union - another bastion of "workers' rights". (Sarcasm flag off)

Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
The only thing unions are good at doing is collecting dues. My wages are the same as other non union businesses. Actually less when you consider the dues that are taken out of each weekly paycheck.

Oh, I do get some pretty nifty plastic ink pens once in a while. I guess they're worth something.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Well basically you are asking to destroy unions then, because it's real real easy for a company to discriminate against union employees versus non-union at their company.
I thought the common argument was unions protected workers, what you're saying here is the union worker is the one with less protection. Why is that?

Quote:
It destroys the power of the union to back up their bargaining with the threat of an effective strike.
I would imagine a substantial amount of people would first have to reject union membership for this to happen. If that's the case they probabaly don;t need a union in the first place.

Quote:
Companies do not bargain in good faith when that occurs.
....or in other words the union can no longer hold the company hostage.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Way to abuse statistics.

You picked Connecticut's poorest city, which is not at all representative of the state.

Connecticut also buries Texas in percentage of college graduates, quality of public secondary education and a number of other QOL statistics...
I think you get the point - it's just less expensive in
Texas for the "average person". I don't think folks
are planning to move to Conn.metro for jobs like they are
in places like Texas. And TX is a right to work state.

But it's really not fair to even compare TX to Conn.
One has 4 big major cities and Conn. is tiny.

I really liked Mystic, Conn. - very cute. The best baked Crab Meat Au Gratin I ever ate Very pretty area.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:48 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraaaw View Post
hey darkatt, if it was not for unions people would be working 10 12 14 hour days at mimmal pay un safe working conditions and far as paying dues, to keep a safe work place and a decent wage i am all for it
Prove it. Prove ANY of it.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,848,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Way to abuse statistics.

There are more people in the greater Houston or Dallas areas individually than all of Connecticut, there are also a couple million more illegal aliens in TX and Connecticut. There's also the little fact that TX has seen an 18% increase in population while Connecticut has seen a 3% increase and it's pretty clear to see why our education numbers along with pretty much everything else is in the dirt when you look at where our population increases come from. Far be it from me to point out facts or anything.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And correlation does not imply causality. Unions had a purpose - when companies were forcing employees to work 16 hour days without breaks or they would take the employee's house. That isn't the case anymore. Unions drive wages up way beyond an equilibrium level, and drag the economy down. I have never been part of a union and I never will.

And please respond to what I actually said. The only real job security anyone should have is the fact that they are good enough at their job to not get fired.

Do you agree or disagree with that?
Before unions companies would fire you if you broke your leg at work and could not work.........want that again?
Or like a friend of mine at his non-union job.He had been dating a supervisors daughter.........hardest working guy there.. but when he broke up with her.. he was fired.
If you want absolutely no rights in the workplace...... get rid of unions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies