Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Rand Paul wants to reign in the deficits and the national debt.

John Stewart wants a massive government to take care of us.

Campaign For Liberty — Rand Paul on The Daily Show
Who said it was a debate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think the Pauls have a morsel of truth in their views, but I also think Jon Stewart really beat out Paul. You could tell Paul had never really been confronted with the hypocrisy of his own views and had to fall back to his talking points.
You're just uninformed on his views. His views are not hypocritical. Where are you getting your info from, some extreme lefties blog? Can you name at least one of his hypocritical views?
I guess living beyond your means is a morsel of truth, huh? pfffft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqcLQzD-aA

Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I thought they had a nice exchange.

I agree with Rand - the government is too big. It needs
to be smaller.

And sure the government gave us clean water

Glad they were both in agreement to get rid of
stupid government.

I'm a little surprised Stewart didn't dive more into
military spending - he had an opening for it and I would
have liked to hear Rand talk about that more.
~5 minutes into his speech on my previous post.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:14 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Where did you get that canard?

Stewart doesn't try to "win" debates with his guests... but manages to focus in on key questions in order to clarify the guest's position. His interviews with guests are serious and different from the comedy portions of the show.
You didn't watch the clip.

Stewart himself said this interview is like "college bowl".

Stewart's loyal audience dutifully applauded loudly when Stewart had the senator cornered on key progressive points.

Stewart interviews guests like Michael Moore, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow.

He debates guests like Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, Donald Rumsfeld and, now, Rand Paul.

To his credit, he doesn't beat his "guests" over the head with his liberalism (like, for example, most MSNBC "hosts"); his is a more subtle, learned, intellectual "progressivism".

Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

Stewart's loyal audience dutifully applauded loudly when Stewart had the senator cornered on key progressive points.

Stewart interviews guests like Michael Moore, Keith Olbermann and Rachel Maddow.

He debates guests like Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich, Donald Rumsfeld and, now, Rand Paul.

To his credit, he doesn't beat his "guests" over the head with his liberalism (like, for example, most MSNBC "hosts"); his is a more subtle, learned, intellectual "progressivism".
I think he is very fair, even handed does a great job focusing on the questions that any viewer would ask. I saw nothing unfair with the Rumsfeld interview and he just asked the obvious questions.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Paul completely side stepped the question of corporations and the wealthy sharing in the burden along with the middle class.
They already do.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
There was no debate. Entertainment shows don't do debates. There are no ratings in debates.

It was a debase - what Jon Stewart is known for. And debasing does get ratings.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,811,333 times
I'd have to agree with Rand on a few things. The main issue that needs to be cut is military spending, as he mentioned even with cuts across the board would not balance the budget without massive cuts to defensive spending. Also stating Bush's admin was disastrous and going back to Clinton's wildly successful tax plan would balance the budget.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

I watched the clip. At what point do you THINK he was "cornered" because I didn't see it?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
At what point do you THINK he was "cornered" because I didn't see it
The crowd saw it. That is when they clapped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies