Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,239,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Some snippets:

Jobs returning — but good ones not so much - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110309/ts_yblog_thelookout/jobs-returning-but-good-ones-not-so-much - broken link)

An interesting look at the current state of job growth in the US, we cannot sustain ourselves on minimum wage jobs indefinitely.
Free market for you.
Without unions to protect workers and provide livable wages, what do you expect?
You (generic) can't gut protections for the middle class and then whine about the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
All you have to do is compare union towns, like Detroit and Camden, NJ, to non-union towns any anyone with a brain can tell union is the way to go for prosperity.
Yea, because Memphis and Little Rock are burgeoning, cutting edge cities.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:25 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,181,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
We are all blessed not to be born in a country where there is truly nothing, no jobs, no food, no safety, no clean water, not even hope. Be glad you weren't born in the 3rd world. I think too many Americans lack perspective right now. Two thirds of the world would kill to live with our 1st world problems.
If we didn't have those things readily available and affordable, I wonder if people would be more thankful for those with the knowledge to grow our food, clean our water, handle our food safely, etc.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:04 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,989,568 times
North Carolina is a right to work state and the Raleigh Durham areas have seen a 18 to 19 % growth rate.We went to Ocean Isle N.C. in 2008 and took I-40 and saw new roads,all types of construction and several of the finest universities in the country from Winston-Salem down to Wilmington.Someone stated that the I-40 corridor is the wild west of capitalism and i would agree. Detroit is a decreipit cesspool of corruption and decay like all the other cities of the Rust Belt brought on by government regulations and unions.

The good news where i live is NS railroad has hired 150 people the past month due to the Heartland Corridor and they are re-opening the car shops,investing in new equipment to handle the deep well container cars.Portsmouth Yard is the midway point from Norfolk VA to Chicago ILL and heard big things are on the horizon only if we had a functioning city government.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,023,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
Food preparation a low quality job? My family gives thanks every night to the person who prepared our food, that would be me. We also give thanks to the people who grew it and the people who handled it.
Our economy will not sustain itself on minimum wage jobs, there is no room for growth at that level.

Posters here tout job creation figures without looking at the underlying problem - i.e. most gains in low wage positions - and relish in stock market gains even though it is enriching shareholders instead of helping our economy recover.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,011,624 times
Actually where I live the quality is way up.recession drove out all the fly by nites and illegal mexicans and us honest carpenters who actually live here and have a stake in our commuinty instead of how can we leech off it are doing better. havent seen a hack house flipper in 2 years either although the damage remains. wanna buy a 80000$ house for 250000$ move here

Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,296,203 times
A lot of companies are seeking skilled workers but after sifting through all the resumes they hired less than they had hoped for. People are just not skilled enough for the advanced technological needs of today.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:33 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,011,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Free market for you.
Without unions to protect workers and provide livable wages, what do you expect?
You (generic) can't gut protections for the middle class and then whine about the results.
Dont need no stinken union to protect us here. Quality work means more jobs for me. hiring someone to force another to pay me no matter what my performance or wage and benefit demands seems like a crime to me. My brother is a union carp back east and I make more than he does, and I can hustle my own work not pay dues and kiss a$$ and hope they pick me over their brother in laws cousin for the next opening

Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,037,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
A lot of companies are seeking skilled workers but after sifting through all the resumes they hired less than they had hoped for. People are just not skilled enough for the advanced technological needs of today.

Haha yeah tell that to all the out of work computer programmers and engineers in the US. The problem is American companies dont want to hire some US college educated person for $20-$40 per hour when they can hire some Indian that will work for half that. Or worse. 1/3 of that in their own home country.

Old 03-10-2011, 06:39 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,580,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Free market for you.
fairness is dwindling too //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...cans-wear.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies