Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:53 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You're attributing many things to me I never said. What I've been saying all along is it's pure BS when people make lame attempts to blame the offshoring of jobs to unions. Like I've said, when a company can get a Chinese worker for $2200/year it's complete BS to blame unions, you're just not going to find Americans willing to work for that, union or not. The unions are just a convenient scapegoat for companies reaping the fruits of cheap labor and lax regulations.
you won't get ameicans to work for that today, but that will change. you might not see it in the nominal amount you're paid, but the money you receive will only buy what $2000 gets you today.
i'm not blaming the unions per se, i'm just saying that by and large we are paid way too much for what we produce. the chinese might be paid to little, but at some point we will reach equilibrium where everyone is earning the right amount for what they produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 07:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Ronnie Reagan said it best.

Moment of Zen - Ronald Reagan Supports Unions - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 03/10/11 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 03-11-2011, 08:00 AM

who's forbidding free unions? if you are forced to join a union then it isn't a free union. i'm all for collective bargaining, but if the company can replace its striking workforce it should also be allowed to do so.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:02 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Government jobs shouldn't be unionized since the tax payer's money is at stake.

We have no money.

I don't see how we don't cut the heck out of services, welfare, government employees and even social security/Medicaid.

How do we pay out all these entitlements we don't have money for?
Downsize. No agency, no money needed to prop it up.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
If that is really your concern, be at peace, airline profits ar back and better than ever! Don't believe me? Google it. The numbers don't lie. Unions schmunions, the workers are getting stewed and the owners and shareholders are raking it in. Personally, I don't think it is right. Clearly that is debatable. What isn't up for argument is the imagining that it can continue this way for much longer. They are going to elementary schools to try to recruit pilots because there aren't nearly as many takers as once ago. I wonder why.

H
i wouldn't invest in an airline if you gave me the money. way too risky imo. that however is something that most on the left never ever consider. they never consider the risk of a venture. the fact that 9 out of 10 businesses never make it is something which doesn't occur to them. for people to have jobs, someone has to risk their hard earned money to set the business up. the only reason they would do this is if they see a chance that they might 'rake it in'.
i have invested before, started a business and lost everything. i cannot explain to you what that did to my life. my employees just shook it off and found other jobs, no skin off their backs.
employees want to rake it in too without any risk yet nobody questions whether this is fair.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When you guys are just as vocal about ending the wars (and face it, you haven't been), then i'll listen to the stuff about ending entitlements and other things here.

But until i see it, i'll continue to believe that you guys are actually FOR these wars and war spending and if given a choice, you'd spend even more and have even more wars.
i've been more vocal on ending the wars than most on either side. in fact, now that your guy's in the wh, i have hardly heard a peep from your side! in addition,there are many on your side who think that we need to interfere in new places. the president himself is itching to get involved he's just a bit politically chicken. if his approvals were higher we'd have been in libya, tunisia, egypt and everywhere else by now.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
so what you are saying is that you are worth more than chinese people? somehow doubt i'll get an answer to this question

funny how nobody seems to want to answer this question

Last edited by 58robbo; 03-11-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-11-2011, 09:24 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
funny how nobady seems to want to answer this question
It's all relative. The purchasing power of the Yuan in china provides a very good middle class lifestye to the Chinese people on much less money than here in america.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
you won't get ameicans to work for that today, but that will change. you might not see it in the nominal amount you're paid, but the money you receive will only buy what $2000 gets you today.
i'm not blaming the unions per se, i'm just saying that by and large we are paid way too much for what we produce. the chinese might be paid to little, but at some point we will reach equilibrium where everyone is earning the right amount for what they produce.
You mean many of the Wall Streeters who produce nothing but empty promises at times will get their due and CEOs who run companies into the ground will no longer walk away with multi-million $$$ packages? That I'll believe when I see it

Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You mean many of the Wall Streeters who produce nothing but empty promises at times will get their due and CEOs who run companies into the ground will no longer walk away with multi-million $$$ packages? That I'll believe when I see it

that won't happen because people like you play right into their hands 100% of the time. they can always rely on you to regulate their smaller competitors out of business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies