Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM

694 posts, read 745,541 times

Advertisements

I try to be as appreciative as I can for what I have in life. Even with a low income (under $25k), I can pay the bills and support my family and have fun and am happy. The longer I live though, the more I notice people, most of whom make more than I, seem to be bothered by the better-off people of our society, saying things like "why are they making so much" or "they really have it made", etc. I have thought these things before but as a way of thinking how I could get there, not as an envious thought. Are people getting less appreciative or am I just finding myself more and more surronded my whinny, jealous people?

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM

561 posts, read 505,739 times
Default Where To Begin

Over the last 20 or so years in this country we seem to have adopted the belief that everyone should get a trophy - everyone deserves a trophy. We have moved away from the notion of equality of opportunity and embraced the notion of equality of outcome. These new beliefs manifest themselves as you describe.

If my neighbor has a high paying job, then I want a high paying job. I deserve a high paying job. It's not fair if we're not equal, right?

If his kid plays first string, then my kid should play first string. My kid deserves to play first string. It's not fair if it's not equal!

If his family can afford first-rate health insurance, then my family should have first-rate health insurance. We deserve deserve first-rate health insurance. If it's not equal it's not fair!

I don't know how to fix it, but I think this is part of the problem. My 2 cents.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Over the last 20 or so years in this country we seem to have adopted the belief that everyone should get a trophy - everyone deserves a trophy. We have moved away from the notion of equality of opportunity and embraced the notion of equality of outcome. These new beliefs manifest themselves as you describe.

If my neighbor has a high paying job, then I want a high paying job. I deserve a high paying job. It's not fair if we're not equal, right?

If his kid plays first string, then my kid should play first string. My kid deserves to play first string. It's not fair if it's not equal!

If his family can afford first-rate health insurance, then my family should have first-rate health insurance. We deserve deserve first-rate health insurance. If it's not equal it's not fair!

I don't know how to fix it, but I think this is part of the problem. My 2 cents.
Healthcare and baseball are two different things. We all DESRVE first rate healthcare.

If you aren't good at baseball, then you don't DESERVE to play first string. However, just because you're poor doesn't mean you should get substandard healthcare.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Healthcare and baseball are two different things. We all DESRVE first rate healthcare.
Equality of opportunity NOT equality of outcome. Did you miss that part?

Old 03-09-2011, 08:46 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Maybe because many of us work for them?

I work part-time for Company X. The head of Company X has given me a lousy 3% raise in five years. Meanwhile CEO Slimeball has lost contracts left and right and been sued for incompetence. He's also increased his own pay by a fifth to over a million a year.

Most Americans have seen their wages remain flat and even fall relative to inflation while prices for items like food, shelter and college tuition have increased hugely. In the meantime pay rates for the very top percentiles have soared.

Many of us are sick of it. I personally resent paying 33% on my income while the hedge fund manager pays a mere 15% on an income orders of magnitude greater.

Why is that so hard to understand? Treat people poorly and they will hate you.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I try to be as appreciative as I can for what I have in life. Even with a low income (under $25k), I can pay the bills and support my family and have fun and am happy. The longer I live though, the more I notice people, most of whom make more than I, seem to be bothered by the better-off people of our society, saying things like "why are they making so much" or "they really have it made", etc. I have thought these things before but as a way of thinking how I could get there, not as an envious thought. Are people getting less appreciative or am I just finding myself more and more surronded my whinny, jealous people?

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
I think they watch too much TV. Thinking they have
to have/be, everything they see on those million dollar
sets. But, now reality is sinking in - the Jones' next door,
- they have a foreclosure sign in their front yard.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
the reason some want the rich to pay for everything is jealousy pure and simple. a person works their way up the ladder, takes the big risks, and makes the big money, and those that dont take the nig risks feel shorted. this country was founded on equal opportunity for all, NOT equal outcomes for all, but it seems the jealous people among us want to make everyone equally poor.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:52 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I don't see this effect.

If anything, over the past 30 years, voters have chosen to elect politicians who have reduced the tax burden on the wealthiest Americans, and wealth has accumulated more quickly at the very top than anywhere else.

Those are hardly signs of a society where wealthy people are disliked.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
Equality of opportunity NOT equality of outcome. Did you miss that part?
You stated:

"If his family can afford first-rate health insurance, then my family should have first-rate health insurance. We deserve deserve first-rate health insurance. If it's not equal it's not fair!"

The implication being that people who can't afford good healthcare should not be able to obtain it.

Some things should not be contingent on achievement/outcome. Healthcare, education, and public safety are amongst those things.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:03 PM

Default Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I work part-time for Company X. The head of Company X has given me a lousy 3% raise in five years. Meanwhile CEO Slimeball has lost contracts left and right and been sued for incompetence. He's also increased his own pay by a fifth to over a million a year.
Sounds like CEO Slimeball might be on his way out. Apply for his job! Then you can have the million dollar salry. Are you qualified?

Quote:
Most Americans have seen their wages remain flat and even fall relative to inflation while prices for items like food, shelter and college tuition have increased hugely. In the meantime pay rates for the very top percentiles have soared.
Get into one of those top percentailes! Have you done the things necessary to put yourself in that position?

Quote:
I personally resent paying 33% on my income while the hedge fund manager pays a mere 15% on an income orders of magnitude greater.
If you're in the 33% federal tax bracket then you make at least $174,000 per year. Sounds to me like you're "well off."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies