U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 11,082,066 times

Advertisements

Exercise in critical thinking....

Here's what I think is wrong with the Democrats, as a Democrat...

Top 3:

1) Vote more often out of political expedience instead of belief. Spineless at times.

2) We tend to run to the center instead of fighting for more Progressive programs that would benefit everyone.

3) Bad PR. Our ideas really are better in many areas, but we lose in the "arena" due to obsfucations and half-truths that are generated to derail Progressive programs.

I wonder if a Republican will start a thread like this... Too much critical thinking involved?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM

537 posts, read 760,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Top 3:

1) Vote more often out of political expedience instead of belief. Spineless at times.

2) We tend to run to the center instead of fighting for more Progressive programs that would benefit everyone.

3) Bad PR. Our ideas really are better in many areas, but we lose in the "arena" due to obsfucations and half-truths that are generated to derail Progressive programs.

I wonder if a Republican will start a thread like this... Too much critical thinking involved?
We're also spineless when it comes to debates. How often do we run away from Republicans because we're afraid that they'll *GASP* hurt our feelings?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:43 AM

10,029 posts, read 7,754,854 times
Quote:

Top 3:

4) Out of touch with reality. There's too much governing on hopes and dreams.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,868,234 times
Excellent. You listed what you consider problems. Do they need to be fixed? Can they be fixed?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:46 AM

31,765 posts, read 26,909,072 times
I am an independent but clearly lean democratic. And I disagree with the problems you mention. Instead, I feel, the democrats tend to be about as ideological as republicans. This is assuming, of course, that republicans haven't just hijacked the term "conservative" but represent the faction and democrats are automatically progressives. In my opinion, pragmatism ought to dictate progressives not anti-conservatism, which would technically be ideology based.

I do agree on the issue of PR but here is the problem. As a progressive, I feel that informed populace and logic based discussions are key. If the sole purpose of PR is to achieve an emotional response, then we would be mimicking what we hate about authoritarians. Yes, that makes the job tougher, but at least it would prevent us from selling our soul simply for scoring political points. Let the feeble minded do that.

On issue of being spineless, well, the problem would be that if something is grounded on pragmatism as opposed to maintaining an ideology that could fit under a rock and inspire those who crawl under, there will be factions and greater chance of less lock-stepping. Ideological grounds encourage lock-step marching that would put even Red Army to shame.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:51 AM

36,302 posts, read 36,987,748 times
Here's what's really wrong with the Democrats and I'm not one:

1. You like to spend other people's money.
2. You like to pat yourselves on the back and think you are smarter, better, more benevolent than everyone else.
3. You're a bunch of finger-wagging mommies and think everything is a teachable moment for us "dumb" serfs.
4. You hold thinkers in higher esteem than do-ers.
5. See 1, again.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 6,858,490 times
Liberal = 20% of voters, the smallest part ever.You can't win with liberal ideas.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,352,019 times
Quote:

Top 3:

Are you kidding me? You mean you havent heard the many republicans on this forum complain about the republicans doing all of the things the dems are doing...

If You Read One Thing [***] About How Out-of-Control Gov't Spending Is, How Similar Reps Are to Dems, & Why We Can't Wait to Fix Things, Read Rand Paul's Floor Speech from Yesterday! - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 11,082,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Here's what's really wrong with the Democrats and I'm not one:

1. You like to spend other people's money.
2. You like to pat yourselves on the back and think you are smarter, better, more benevolent than everyone else.
3. You're a bunch of finger-wagging mommies and think everything is a teachable moment for us "dumb" serfs.
4. You hold thinkers in higher esteem than do-ers.
5. See 1, again.
Even though you're not a Democrat, thanks for contributing to the thread.

Allow me to respond:

1. I find this to be a bit misleading. Republicans like to spend too... (There are plenty of Republican congresses/Presidents that increased the deficit and debt. See: Reagan). Republicans like to spend on the military. Democrats prefer social programs that benefit people.

2. That's pretty bogus. There is plenty of self-congratulations and mutual admiration societies on both sides. The Democrats certain put more value in college education, it seems, if you use the anti-university and anti-intellectualism comments I see on here from the right.

3. Seems like a personal impression. Sorry you feel that way.

4. Yes, I agree with this. I prefer planning and careful execution to an immediate action bias. I'm sure you'd agree there are ga-zillions of do-ers on both sides. I own a business, travel 150,000 miles a year on business, employe people, etc, yet am a Progressive Democrat. There are loads of us. (See: New York City)

Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM

23,837 posts, read 21,512,970 times
What bothers me most about Democrats is that they cannot reconcile the diffrence between good intent and good execution. INTENT is why we are a noble country. EXECUTION is why we are in financial dire straits. Democrats have the hardest time understanding that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies