Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 01:20 PM

81 posts, read 197,311 times

Advertisements

Where is the pride? If just a portion of these were willing to do manual labor there would be no jobs available here thus no immigrants.. But lets blame those who come here to pick our food, and mow our lawns, and clean our hotel rooms while we give a free pass for the lazy trash that live amongst us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
Where is the pride? If just a portion of these were willing to do manual labor there would be no jobs available here thus no immigrants.. But lets blame those who come here to pick our food, and mow our lawns, and clean our hotel rooms while we give a free pass for the lazy trash that live amongst us.
Fact: You can be employed full time and still qualify for food stamps.

Try a little research before you rant. Maybe your local community college can help.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,771 times
I don't blame those who come wanting a better life for themselves and their families, I blame those unscrupulous employers who are willing to hire them at sub-minimum wage, paid under the table with and enjoy none of the benefits and security that citizens are entitled to.

It's not that those on food stamps are necessarily unwilling to perform manual labor, they're just not able to do it on the terms that many of the employers of manual laborers demand. If we stiffly penalized those who knowingly or recklessly hire undocumented immigrants, that would change in a hurry.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Fact: You can be employed full time and still qualify for food stamps.

Try a little research before you rant. Maybe your local community college can help.

And how many people do you know that work FULL TIME and collect food stamps loud mouth?

Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
And how many people do you know that work FULL TIME and collect food stamps loud mouth?

U.S. > Image >

I hope that you are truly seeking information, just not to reinforce your beliefs regardless of facts.

Almost half of food stamp recipients are working. That's double what it was in 1989. So MORE working people are on food stamps. Seems like more evidence that the working poor are losing ground.

I apologize for the tone of my first response.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-26-2011 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: copyright

Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Here's some food for thought

Do you know how many of them are children.

One in Four.

One in 50 Americans live on nothing but food stamps.

The numbers have nearly tripled in Nevada over the past two years, doubled in Florida and New York, and grown nearly 90 percent in Minnesota and Utah. In Wayne County, Mich., which includes Detroit, one of every 25 residents reports an income of only food stamps. In Yakima County, Wash., the figure is about one of every 17.

It's really a sad day in America, when one thinks food
stamps are what is breaking the back in America.

Get rid of our excessive military spending and militarism
in this country.

And donate to a Food Bank in the town you live in

Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Here's some food for thought

Do you know how many of them are children.

One in Four.

One in 50 Americans live on nothing but food stamps.

The numbers have nearly tripled in Nevada over the past two years, doubled in Florida and New York, and grown nearly 90 percent in Minnesota and Utah. In Wayne County, Mich., which includes Detroit, one of every 25 residents reports an income of only food stamps. In Yakima County, Wash., the figure is about one of every 17.

It's really a sad day in America, when one thinks food
stamps are what is breaking the back in America.

Get rid of our excessive military spending and militarism
in this country.

And donate to a Food Bank in the town you live in
Clearly children should be ashamed of themselves! How dare the ten year old not have a full time job!

Only 3% of all illegal migrants are employed in agriculture. Employers should be embarrassed at not paying a living wage. No one should work full time and need to get extra funds to put food on the table.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:07 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times
Quote:
Well since you asked!

Selected Characteristic of Food Stamp Households 1990 to 2008

This link has the lastest data on how gets Food Stamps. See Table 571. About 65.6% of the people getting Food Stamps for under the category of "Unearned Income". So roughly 34% of the people getting food stamps get some kind of income. Keep in mind the number of people getting food stamps now has gone up by another 2 million individuals.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Well since you asked!

Selected Characteristic of Food Stamp Households 1990 to 2008

This link has the lastest data on how gets Food Stamps. See Table 571. About 65.6% of the people getting Food Stamps for under the category of "Unearned Income". So roughly 34% of the people getting food stamps get some kind of income.

And the question was how many of these people do you know personally? Because the media would never exaggerate! Excuse me for being biased, but living here in Chicago it is quite common to see ghetto kids wearing 90 dollar sneakers, while I proudly strut around in my 30 dollar Sears specials! And Ive worked and paid taxes since I was 12! I also did a 2 year stint in the Peace Corps. Ive seen poverty in other nations where families ration a few beans and eggs a day, live on dirt floors! In this nation if somebody is able bodied and poor I dont feel sorry for them. My sympathy goes to those in nations where opportunity isnt available.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
Quote:
And the question was how many of these people do you know personally? Because the media would never exaggerate! Excuse me for being biased, but living here in Chicago it is quite common to see ghetto kids wearing 90 dollar sneakers, while I proudly strut around in my 30 dollar Sears specials! And Ive worked and paid taxes since I was 12! I also did a 2 year stint in the Peace Corps. Ive seen poverty in other nations where families ration a few beans and eggs a day, live on dirt floors! In this nation if somebody is able bodied and poor I dont feel sorry for them. My sympathy goes to those in nations where opportunity isnt available.
Which they stoled.

I think the poverty in this nation could get a lot worse. I don't think most people know what the reality of 3rd world poverty is. They should limit the usage of food stamps to bare necessities and bulk produce only (flour, eggs, milk powder, oil, beans, etc.) - no TV dinners or prepackaged stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies