Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:20 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,986,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Its good for individuals but bad for a country,

Just look at Canada, and Sweden.
Well, they're both doing better than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM

103 posts, read 157,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I have trouble understanding him. I don't speak toothless-gay-male-ese.
What does Frank's sexual orientation have to do with this? You are being prejudiced and homophobic.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times
I mean, I don't like the guy at all, but he's right. We really do need to up bilingualism in this country, doesn't have to be Spanish, but ANY language at all.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Yes EVERYONE should. Why doesn't this include people who voluntarily move to the United States where the dominant language?
You're the only one I've heard this from.

Quote:
Let's be brutally honest. When groups like La Raza (the race!) state that Americans should pick up a second language what they really mean is that Americans should study Spanish not with the intention of benefiting themselves. After all Spanish may be important in South America but it is hardly an important language internationally. What they really mean is that lazy and stupid Americans should spend their free time learning Spanish just to make life easier for Latino immigrants.

I think they have it completely backwards. A great percentage of the resentment towards the massive illegal migration from Latino countries would be reduced were far greater efforts made to educate would be migrants in English before they moved here.

Instead one gets an endless drumbeat of learn Spanish, learn Spanish, learn Spanish. It's the height of arrogance and some of us are truly sick of it.

Then refuse to study Spanish.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Huh?

What about those on welfare?
You are exactly right, my wife is a Permanent Resident from Mexico who was dragged to the USA as a child with her mother under the Reagan amnesty.

My wife says they all come here because being broke in Mexico is hell compared to being broke in the USA with all it's give aways.

Her mom has siblings taking $600 a month each for state support, 15k a year for education (all but my wife were flunking), $600 a month for each for state baby sitting, free medical, wic, food stamps and of course then it appears that community still tends to work in the gray market not paying taxes.

They also tend to file tax returns for thousands when they didn't even work (tax fraud). I talked to a tax lawyer friend and he said he also heard about all the 5k returns with no income. Money is so small to the IRS that they may not catch it for years, decades!

My wife is a keeper, she pays taxes, goes to college. She is probably 1-30.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
Did nobody take a foreign language in middle and high school?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,279,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Did nobody take a foreign language in middle and high school?
Like Spanish, French, Ebonics? What do your mean?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM

306 posts, read 355,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You are exactly right, my wife is a Permanent Resident from Mexico who was dragged to the USA with her mother under the Reagan amnesty.

My wife says they all come here because being broke in Mexico is hell compared to being broke in the USA with all it's give aways.

Her mom has siblings taking $600 a month each for state support, 15k a year for education (all but my wife were flunking), $600 a month for each for state baby sitting, free medical, wic, food stamps and of course then it appears that community still tends to work in the gray market not paying taxes.

They also tend to file tax returns for thousands when they didn't even work (tax fraud). I talked to a tax lawyer friend and he said he also heard about all the 5k returns with no income. Money is so small to the IRS that they may not catch it for years, decades!

My wife is a keeper, she pays taxes, goes to college. She is probably 1-30.
So, you've got some really classy in-laws. Thanksgiving must be a blast at your house!

And I suppose you'd never find any US born white citizens in, say, Alabama or Tennessee doing the same thing (and voting republican).....right?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baaadgoatjoke View Post
What does Frank's sexual orientation have to do with this? You are being prejudiced and homophobic.
You have OBVIOUSLY never chatted with him....he is GAY! He's right though. Barney Frank sounds like he has marbles in his mouth when he's speaking.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:36 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,263,710 times
i wish i had the language programs the swiss have. most are functional in 4 important languages and its due to location and being taught at a young age.

If I have kids, they will most certainly be sent to language school at an extremely young age to pick up other languages besides just english. It really is a door opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies