Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 10:44 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times

Advertisements

Damm, I was hoping the Rand Paul toilet bruhaha would go 30 pages. Drat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 11:15 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Maybe he should use a litter box?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:20 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
More about toilets. Waterless urinals being installed. But in some cities the plumbers union complains. Solution is to run the water pipe but cap it.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,680 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Rand Paul: Toilets don't work, light bulb rules limit choices, Sen. Rand Paul says - latimes.com

Good to see Rand Paul and Michele Bachmann addressing issues that affect us all: toilet bowls and light bulbs. This is why we put Republicans in charge! God bless them!
What they are addressing is the fact that Dumbo's are passing laws telling people that they have to use a certain type of toilet or light bulb.. They are right it is stupid.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,053,772 times
Rand is so full of poop that toilets just can't handle the load...

Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
More about toilets. Waterless urinals being installed. But in some cities the plumbers union complains. Solution is to run the water pipe but cap it.

LOL... I remember reading an article, the UK i think, the guy was selling lights that had incandescent bulbs but he was marketing them as portable heaters to get around regulations

Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I have 3 new low flow toilets, I have to unplug at least one every 2-3 days. Sometimes it takes 3-4 flushes to work properly.

A good example of a good government idea that does not work in the real world.
Not quite. While I'm unaware of it being a government idea, it does work and save water. If it doesn't and you need to unplug frequently and go for 3-4 flushes, there might be other issues involved.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:52 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
What they are addressing is the fact that Dumbo's are passing laws telling people that they have to use a certain type of toilet or light bulb.. They are right it is stupid.
It comes down the idiocy of one size fits all regulations. For example I live in a colder climate, fluorescents simply do not work that well outside when it's cold. Usually if I'm flipping a light on outside at night by the time they warm up I'm turning it off.

In the climate bill passed by the house when the Democrats were in control they had some provisions for new housing codes, if for example you were going to replace windows they had to meet certain ratings. There is two similar problems with this because of the additional cost, if you're a homeowner in an area with certain conditions like hurricane winds window strength is going to be important. You could have a situation where you have to purchase weaker windows because the ones that are both efficient and strong are out of your price range. Homeowners could find themselves unable to afford new windows at all when they could be purchasing lower cost windows which would be better than the alternative of nothing.

These regulations cause prices to stagnate, when you set the bar high there is no incentive for the higher priced products to try and compete against lower cost ones.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-11-2011 at 12:07 PM..

Old 03-11-2011, 12:32 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Have one. Love it. Rand Paul is a tool.
You think someone is a tool because they don't want government to force people to do things "for their own good". Is it because you think people are tools and can't figure things out for themselves? I have a urinal in my house in one of the bathrooms. No one told me to get it.
Are you saying people are such tools that the free market, through higher water prices, wouldn't make people conserve? Things like catching rain runoff or using a system that recycles shower and washing machine water filters it for use in toilets wouldn't come about because of higher prices? You want government to be in charge? The same government that has brought us this economic ruin? You haven't been paying attention.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not quite. While I'm unaware of it being a government idea, it does work and save water. If it doesn't and you need to unplug frequently and go for 3-4 flushes, there might be other issues involved.
The government does not allow high flow toilets, sounds like a government idea to me. I use much more water here as compared to my old high flow (Al Bundy special) toilet in CA. The problems are called kids, they use more paper than needed etc. In other words the regulations did not take into account the real world.

Edit, I am sure the manufacturers and plumbers pushed for these regulations also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies