Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,236,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ummm.. It will be paid for because the hand held devices will substitute for traditional textbooks.

Reports are by people who do actual education research (versus the people here, who have opinions without the benefit of knowledge or research), these devices show a lot of promise for a more engaging, personalized learning experience for students. These devices are not for social networking but geared towards learning.

Do a little research and learn a little before trotting out predictable reactionary conservative opinions.
My research group investigates and develops intelligent tutoring systems, including ones that utilize machine learning methods backed by corpora of actual pilot studies. It's also at the core of my dissertation research, and my research is NSF funded. I can tell you straight up that mobile devices in of themselves will deprecate learning experiences, as their usage will not be adequately supervised and students will resort to surfing, sexting, and other trivial non-educational tasks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ummm.. It will be paid for because the hand held devices will substitute for traditional textbooks.

Reports are by people who do actual education research (versus the people here, who have opinions without the benefit of knowledge or research), these devices show a lot of promise for a more engaging, personalized learning experience for students. These devices are not for social networking but geared towards learning.

Do a little research and learn a little before trotting out predictable reactionary conservative opinions.
Give a 12 year old a handheld and you think he's going to sit there for hours doing history and math ?

Producing an e-book for textbooks will still cost money. An online textbook is not FREE. And to access that e-book takes a paid for subscription by the schools.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:31 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,907,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My research group investigates intelligent tutoring systems. It's also at the core of my dissertation research. I can tell you straight up that mobile devices in of themselves will deprecate learning experiences, as their usage will not be adequately supervised and students will resort to surfing, sexting, and other trivial non-educational tasks.
We're basically becoming a bunch of lazy f#*ks. Instead of looking for the next "crutch" to assist in the learning process, how about the schools AND parents get back to the damn basics and simply teach.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:33 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,236,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
We're basically becoming a bunch of lazy f#*ks. Instead of looking for the next "crutch" to assist in the learning process, how about the schools AND parents get back to the damn basics and simply teach.
There is a benefit to the systems we develop, but the ROI isn't there yet. Most of our systems are designed to customize narrative in gameplay while learning science material. No lie, the students asked for our autographs after a 3-day corpus gathering experiment and asked if they could play the game we developed at home.

http://www.intellimedia.ncsu.edu/ci8.html

Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,576,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Producing an e-book for textbooks will still cost money. An online textbook is not FREE. And to access that e-book takes a paid for subscription by the schools.
yup, that's what i was getting at. the ongoing costs. kids in east asia and singapore have been succeeding for many years without mobile devices. here in the good old usa, it's the kids' attitudes toward education and life in general that need changing. oh yeah, american (idol) culture too. the answer is not to give mobile devices. (facepalm is not for you happy texan)

Old 03-11-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
That's too easy to go back to what has been proven to work.
For some reason the cry is for more money to apply more bandaids to a broken system.

Somewhere in the 70's-90's education changed and the US started dropping in worldwide rankings.

Today we are #36 in Math..on par with Latvia. And we spend more per student than most other countries. And the think tanks think if we spend more money on more gadgets the kids will get smarter ?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:40 AM

13,234 posts, read 9,849,560 times
Quote:
How is it more "lazy" to read a textbook from a mobile device than to read it from an actual book? Is it because you don't have to physically turn the page? You still have to read and absorb the info, it's not going to be shot into your frontal lobe telepathically from your ipad.

I for one will be happy that when my kid is school aged she won't have to lug around 500 lbs of dead weight on her back, to and from school.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,576,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's too easy to go back to what has been proven to work.
For some reason the cry is for more money to apply more bandaids to a broken system.
The band-aid makers and the think-tanks stand to gain when "the problems" never get solved

It's a business in of itself - the "business" of "I've got the solution! Now fund me!"

Old 03-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
How is it more "lazy" to read a textbook from a mobile device than to read it from an actual book? Is it because you don't have to physically turn the page? You still have to read and absorb the info, it's not going to be shot into your frontal lobe telepathically from your ipad.

I for one will be happy that when my kid is school aged she won't have to lug around 500 lbs of dead weight on her back, to and from school.
Because the kids are not reading. These gadgets produce audio.
When was the last time you were in a classroom ?
The kids are not reading..the teachers play the audio books in class and the kids are supposed to "follow along".

Heck...they don't even try to get and read the "Cliff Notes".
Are you old enough to remember that ? If you didn't read your summer reading list books by August there was a mad rush for the "Cliff Notes" of that book ?

And BTW...summer reading lists have bit the dust except for AP English students.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,094,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
My research group investigates and develops intelligent tutoring systems, including ones that utilize machine learning methods backed by corpora of actual pilot studies. It's also at the core of my dissertation research, and my research is NSF funded. I can tell you straight up that mobile devices in of themselves will deprecate learning experiences, as their usage will not be adequately supervised and students will resort to surfing, sexting, and other trivial non-educational tasks.
Interesting.

I actually am a corporate technical trainer and I advocate traditional ILT over the eLearning model.

Where can I obtain some of your research?

It's important to note, that one of my areas is mobile device application development. It is becoming more possible to control these devices through an enterprise administration and lock students out of distracting activities such as texting, sexting, etc., and only put learning applications and texts on the device.

Many schools are now doing this with school computers, but have not been, in my opinion very effective at it.

I train adult software developers, so if they want to text instead of listening to me, that's their business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies