Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
They will be fine. We will rebuild their entire nation. We did it once, why not do it again. Our crumbling infrastructure...no matter. Other nations are more important.

As for private donations...go for it. Sign over your entire savings. And it's not just Japan. I wouldn't donate if it was Canada, Mexico, or even Sri Lanka.
You donate to other countries? Which ones pass your test for "countries I can donate to?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:57 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
You donate to other countries? Which ones pass your test for "countries I can donate to?"
Read where I said "go for it".

Old 03-13-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Read where I said "go for it".
I understand that you gave me permission to support whichever countries I want, but I was actually asking which countries YOU would donate to if they suffered an apocalyptic disaster.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I understand that you gave me permission to support whichever countries I want, but I was actually asking which countries YOU would donate to if they suffered an apocalyptic disaster.
Nil

Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Nil
That's what I thought.

I see no reason to continue posting in this thread.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
That's what I thought.

I see no reason to continue posting in this thread.
You have every right to give money to whomever...just like I have ever right not to.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,468 times
George Bush doesn't care about Japanese people.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 PM

334 posts, read 188,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Not at all. I recall that figure from news reports at the time, and Japanese Wikipedia has a somewhat better list of Japan-based corporate and private donors:

Hurricane Katrina - Donors (Japanese)

Among the donors were Toyota, with $5 million, Japan's professional baseball league with around $6.1 million, and a singer named Mika Nakashima who did a charity single.

In a way, though, that's kind of beside the point. As noted before, this tsunami was a much larger and deadlier catastrophe than Hurricane Katrina. And the main issue with Katrina had to do with waterborne search-and-rescue. Japan's international relief teams are mainly trained for earthquake rescue, which is why some of them were in New Zealand when the quake hit Japan.

I guess the corollary situation would be more like Japan having a naval base on the gulf coast, with ships at the ready. Would Japan have used them to provide aid? I'd sure hope so! Otherwise, it's not much of an alliance, strategic or otherwise.

I doubt that the US commanders at those bases were hesitant at all to provide the aid that could be provided, which is how things ought to be.
Ahh, I get it. You're confused.

You somehow can't tell the difference between the Japanese government and the businesses and private persons who happen to be located in Japan.

...again, "we", as in the United States government, should send nothing to Japan. If GM, WalMart, and Warren Buffet want to send something, that's their business.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:06 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
I say we give Japan 10 times the amount they gave us to help with Katrina.

Although I suspect the postage stamp to mail the check will be worth more than the check. YES, Japan is one of the richest nations. Let'em pay their own bills.

However, I see no reason why we can't have our naval hospitals sitting off shore, helping the injured. In exchange for something else that helps our military of course, like some sort of deal for space to build a naval base.

As far as you and me sending donations? Hell no.
Again, since it's been shown differently on several occasions, please provide links to the fact that Japan is one of the richest nations.

Your post makes it clear why the US has slipped in it's world standing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
You seem to be lying and/or exaggerating, and got caught.

Read that link I posted. Countries I've never even heard of gave more money to the Red Cross than Japan. Bitter? No. I'm just not doling out money to a country that 1, can afford to take care of themselves, and 2, wouldn't give us much more than a token gesture if the shoe was on the other foot.
It was my link, I believe I posted it first.

From my link, Japan officially gave $500k; it said nothing about individual donations.
Did you also read that the US let most of it go without using it?

Funny how you are dishonest about links, how silly.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-13-2011 at 11:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 11:36 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
W. O. W.

I don't think I've ever been so disgusted with a thread in my life as I am with this one. Here we have a country with its northern coast wiped off the map, possible 10,000+ dead, volcanoes erupting in the south, and on the verge on nuclear catastrophe, and the response is "Oh you'll be fine. Walk it off. Sony has lots of money. They'll save you."? Oh yes, our nation's money would be much better spent fixing potholes than feeding and sheltering victims. Considering how much this country pisses away in defense spending, pointless wars, and tax breaks for the wealthy, I think the United States will be just fine sending our strongest allies in the east a little get well soon money. How long ago was it when you sold away your sense of compassion?

Some people in this thread are going to hell. (hey I'm just saying what most of the people reading this thread are thinking)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies