Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DST: Keep it or lose it?
Keep it! 57 35.19%
Lose it! 105 64.81%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That can be a real mess, especially for working parents. You can't leave a 6 year old alone in the house while you go off to work, and even a middle schooler might have trouble getting to school on time with no one around to kick his butt out the door. I really hate DST; I'd be OK with it starting May 1, when it starts staying light longer anyway. Today is the vernal equinox, an equal # of dark and light hours. I don't think it's real useful until the days (sunlight) lengthen.
A 6-year-old shouldn't be going to the school bus stop unsupervised to begin with. I thought the issue was with children going to the school bus stop unsupervised? If a child is young enough that they need to be supervised, the darkness shouldn't be an issue. If they are old enough to walk to the bus stop on their own, then they are old enough to get ready for school on their own. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bright_future View Post
you have to remember the real purpose of public schools- daycare for bad parents
Lol, well maybe parents should start being parents--but that's another issue for another thread!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:34 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I hate it, while it is nice to have more daylight after work, waking up in the dark is not appealing, and very difficult.
i think we should just have one time and keep it that same all years round. but that is man for ya, we have to make everything difficult for ourselves.

what energy are you saving anyway, you either use it in the morning or the night.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I don't know why, but I have the strangest feeling that abolishing something that's largely unnecessary--Daylight Savings Time and the Electoral College come to mind--isn't going to happen without a huge and very acrimonious battle.

When I was a kid, they used to tell us in school that Daylight Savings Time had something to do with farmers and bringing in their crops. Having been born and raised in a big city, this never made sense to me. (Why not just let the farmers mess around with their clocks twice a year, and leave the rest of us alone?) There also aren't anywhere near as many farmers now as there were in the 1930s. But, DST hangs on like a sponging relative.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
A 6-year-old shouldn't be going to the school bus stop unsupervised to begin with. I thought the issue was with children going to the school bus stop unsupervised? If a child is young enough that they need to be supervised, the darkness shouldn't be an issue. If they are old enough to walk to the bus stop on their own, then they are old enough to get ready for school on their own. JMO.
Well, if the bus stop is across the street, as ours was, a 6 year old can go there independently, if it's light outside. Do you think it's OK for a teen to walk to the bus stop in the dark?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:23 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,057,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Do you think it's OK for a teen to walk to the bus stop in the dark?
Depends on the area and how far the bus stop is.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Arizona does just fine without it.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:28 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Arizona does just fine without it.
When it's 110 degrees, ya can't wait for the sun to set.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate it, while it is nice to have more daylight after work, waking up in the dark is not appealing, and very difficult.
i think we should just have one time and keep it that same all years round. but that is man for ya, we have to make everything difficult for ourselves.

what energy are you saving anyway, you either use it in the morning or the night.
Well it saves energy because some people don't wake up early enough that they still are waking up to light even after the time change (7 AM or after). To those who say they hate daylight savings time, would they be happy with an early sunrise and sunset in the summer? Where I live, in June, if there was no daylight savings time, the sun would rise at about 4:15 and set at 7:30. Seems like a waste to me.

I understand that waking up in the dark is irritating but i don't think I'd mind it too much. Many when I wake up I'm not doing much that requires daylight; showering, getting ready, breakfast. Much rather have the daylight later in the day. And when I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere in the morning, I've enjoyed the feeling of waking up a bit before sunrise and seeing the day shift from twilight to morning. It's harder to do that when the sunrise is very early, like 5 something AM.

Anyhow, I hate coming home in the dark. The November time change sucks, especially for the times I want to bike back home. Even before the time change this March the sun was setting slightly before 6 PM, so I often still got home in almost darkness.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Lol, well maybe parents should start being parents--but that's another issue for another thread!
How many kids do you have again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies