U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 08:09 AM

68,108 posts, read 63,467,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
I know there are some movements in America that are very anti-Muslim but generally in the US what do people think of them?
There is no "generally in the US" answer. It often varies by location.

In New York City, for example, where there are over half a million Muslims living and working next to non-Muslims, people get to know one another as people, and there is more of a tendency to regard people as individuals instead of encompassed as part of one group. Yet, there are still people in NYC who are anti-Muslim, just not as many as in other states where prejudices are freer. And in those other states where the anti-Muslim feeling is acceptable and popular, there are surely people amongst them who also believe in taking people as individuals and don't lump.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 14,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The U.S is anti-Christian. I work with an athiest who burns bibles whenever he stays at a hotel. Yet he is outraged at the idea of the Koran being burned.
U.S is by percantage of believers by country one of the top 5 most christian countres in the entire western world and by numbers of believers the biggest in the entire world followed by Brazil and Mexico. So no, I wouldn't say it's anti-christian.
Well it sounds like your co-worker has got some issues if he keeps burning the bible in hotel rooms for no reason (why the hell would you do that, I'm an atheist and I don't see the reason why I would wanna burn the bible at every hotel room, it's obviously not to provoke people, that would require that he'd do it in front of people or filming it every time) and then is outraged at the idea of the koran being burned, it sounds very contradictory and it doesn't sound like he is very sane.

Last edited by MickeB; 04-03-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM

6,743 posts, read 8,658,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
The U.S is anti-Christian. I work with an athiest who burns bibles whenever he stays at a hotel. Yet he is outraged at the idea of the Koran being burned.
Ya right...does he a bonfire in the bathtub at the Radisson? Come on man...

Old 04-03-2011, 08:35 AM

11,026 posts, read 25,005,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeB View Post
U.S is by percantage of believers one of the top 5 most christian countres in the entire western world and by numbers of believers the biggest in the entire world followed by Brazil and Mexico. So no, I wouldn't say it's anti-christian.
Well it sounds like your co-worker has got some issues if he keeps burning the bible in hotel rooms for no reason (why the hell would you do that, I'm an atheist and I don't see the reason why I would wanna burn the bible at every hotel room, it's obviously not to provoke people, that would require that he'd do it in front of people or filming it every time) and then is outraged at the idea of the koran being burned, it sounds very contradictory and it doesn't sound like he is very sane.
no doubt he sounds like one day he will burn down the hotel and then that is arson plus as a atheist myself I don't care what religous book is at the hotel in the drawer. too me as long as it has, WIFI and decent cable a decent bed and those free choclates they put on the pillow then its all good.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM

22,232 posts, read 16,286,809 times
Oh I don't know about that, yet we do have Peter King and Terry Jones, two peas in a pod of hate

Old 04-03-2011, 10:05 AM

643 posts, read 1,030,653 times
He burns bibles but is disgraced at the burning of the Koran.

Does he want to contradict himself any more?

Old 04-03-2011, 12:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 6,496,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
For the sake of "consistency". Would a person be a "mad man" if he burned the Bible??
Absolutely! Making a show of burning books considered holy by millions is insane!
Not only the burning of books (which is extreme), but even less offensive acts should be avoided. But that is only my humble and subjective opinion.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM

38 posts, read 45,784 times
People are bashing muslims, which is insane given that not all are the same. Like in any religion you have your average Joe and then there are the crazies... you just happen to be knowing more of the crazies (the media does not help it one bit).
Muslims are not always covered. I have many female friends that are not covered and are muslims. Also, I had a colleague at work who was anti - muslim and Islam.. when my friend came to work he started talking to her getting to know her. One day he says to me 'Hey do you think she would go for me'and I answered 'why do you care? You don't even like her race...or her religion 'and he looked at me and was shocked and responded 'she is such a nice person'. I looked at him and simply said 'Too bad you don't want to be seen in public going against your beliefs now do you?' I said this sarcastically. He got the message and everytime she comes to take me out for lunch he always makes a point to talk to her - FUNNY how people work- quick to judge but not quick to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies