Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeB View Post
No, that is what the tv-channels in america wants them to look like. But of course they are not in general as open-minded as western europe and usa to alot of things, but it's far from as bad as the tv-channels make them look like. I live in Sweden and I have lots of swedish friends that are dating and some of them are even married, and their families are ok with it, contradicting what many western people would think (since muslims can only marry/date other muslims from what is said). And I'm going to Las Vegas, partying with two muslim friends and two swedish friends to party (which wouldn't be allowed either). I've grown up with muslims around me so I know most of them aren't radical narrow minded morons.

Sweden is known to be the home of many muslims, and if you live amongst them you'll realize that they arent the radical nuts as american media shows them off
1) You are referring to Muslims who were influenced and changed by life in Sweden and other Western countries.
2) Have you ever lived in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, to name a few?
3) To the best of my knowledge, most American TV channels and media outlets (with the exception of Fox and some radio hosts) do not portray ALL Muslims as terrorists and radical nuts. I read the New York Times, watch TV and most stations are quite neutral. Of course, when a mad man burns the Quran, people outside the US get wrong impressions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 04:31 AM

20 posts, read 15,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
1) You are referring to Muslims who were influenced and changed by life in Sweden and other Western countries.
2) Have you ever lived in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, to name a few?
3) To the best of my knowledge, most American TV channels and media outlets (with the exception of Fox and some radio hosts) do not portray ALL Muslims as terrorists and radical nuts. I read the New York Times, watch TV and most stations are quite neutral. Of course, when a mad man burns the Quran, people outside the US get wrong impressions.
1) Yes, I was reffering to those muslims, but the videos I showed before showed that some americans are still anti to those muslims who are living in the USA and have lived there for a long time. This is a thread about the anti-muslim movement, weather it's against those muslims who are living in Afghanistan or in a western country, it's still anti-muslim. Some of those muslims I know, I first got to know in school when they just came from Iran or Iraq, and their families showed as much sign of being crazy radicals back then as they do now which is non, so I doubt they were crazy radicals back when they lived in their home countries. It's the radical sides we get to see in the media. (Of course it might be diffrent with the ones who are from Afghanistan or some more controlled countries where I don't know any people from as it's harder for them to flew the country.)

2) I have not been to any of those countries. I know Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia are amongst those who has been the most controlled by their countries leaders who has happend to be talibans. But fact still remains that all muslims are not talibans or radical nuts. Take Egypt for example, there are lots of people over there who are not following their religion into the smallest details, like they are forced to do in Saudi-Arabia for example, where wimen weren't even allowed to drive a car until a few years ago. There is a reason why all the revoloutions are getting started over there right now, people are tired of opression by their crazy radical leaders. If you have been to Egypt for example you will see that alot of muslim wimen that are sunbathing in bikinis at the beach for example which would get you killed in Afghanistan. Not all muslims are crazy radicals. People keep forgetting that most of the worlds muslims are living in Indonesia and India because it's so far away and they are not as controlled by their government as in Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan or Yemen (which are the most controlled countries in the muslim world).

3) Yes, but fact still remains that US (and UK aswell for that matter) are more controlled by their government with cencorship in news media than most other countries in the western world, which doesn't allow them to write or say whatever they want. Just look how crazy they got and how much they paniced over the Wiki-leaks site, that shows how much cencorship there is going on.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
For the sake of "consistency". Would a person be a "mad man" if he burned the Bible??

Old 04-03-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
For the sake of "consistency". Would a person be a "mad man" if he burned the Bible??
I would consider him a mad man, I'm an atheist but why the hell would you burn a Bible (or a Koran for that matter)? That's a pretty mad thing to do actually. The only way you would consider someone not mad for burning it, would be if you just wanted to get rid of it and couldn't throw it in the trash. Or if you need the fire for shelter or to cook food when you have nothing else to set on fire. Otherwise you're just provoking people in a way that's pretty mad or you're a pryomaniac who are enjoying the fire in which case you're still mad...

Last edited by MickeB; 04-03-2011 at 05:28 AM..

Old 04-03-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
I would consider him a mad man, I'm an atheist but why the hell would you burn a Bible (or a Koran for that matter)? That's a pretty mad thing to do actually. The only way you would consider someone not mad for burning it, would be if you just wanted to get rid of it and couldn't throw it in the trash. Or if you need the fire for shelter or to cook food when you have nothing else to set on fire. Otherwise you're just provoking people in a way that's pretty mad or you're a pryomaniac who are enjoying the fire in which case you're still mad...
At least you are consistent. I disagree with your "extreme" assessment of the pastor. "Mad" is just not the word for this. Beheading someone??? That's madness.....

I am not justifying the pastor. But I do think we are taking our eye off the ball by not placing blame squarely on the shoulders of the maniacs in Afghanistan!!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
At least you are consistent. I disagree with your "extreme" assessment of the pastor. "Mad" is just not the word for this. Beheading someone??? That's madness.....

I am not justifying the pastor. But I do think we are taking our eye off the ball by not placing blame squarely on the shoulders of the maniacs in Afghanistan!!
Look, I think it's a pretty mad thing to do to provoke people in the way he did. Of course it's not as mad as beheading people, that's a whole other level of madness. But it's still a pretty mad thing to do to burn the Koran, which is what he was saying, it's not as mad as beheading people, I think everybody here will agree on that. But it's each to it own how they will define madness. running nude in public is mad robbing somone is mad, killing someone is even more mad. But the defenition of the word mad is off-topic, it has nothing to do with the discussion.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Look, I think it's a pretty mad thing to do to provoke people in the way he did. Of course it's not as mad as beheading people, that's a whole other level of madness. But it's still a pretty mad thing to do to burn the Koran, which is what he was saying, it's not as mad as beheading people, I think everybody here will agree on that. But it's each to it own how they will define madness. running nude in public is mad robbing somone is mad, killing someone is even more mad. But the defenition of the word mad is off-topic, it has nothing to do with the discussion.

Stupid....ill-conceived,,,,bad judgement.....moronic.....

but not mad.

Those people are responsible for their own RESTRAINT!! And what youare doing is taking away their responsibility for their actions!!

Quote:
Oh...this just in!

Afghanistan Koran Burning Protests Rage On for Third Day - FoxNews.com

April 3: An Afghan protestor beats a burning effigy of U.S. President Barack Obama during a rally in Jalalabad, Afghanistan. Afghan protests against the burning of a Quran in Florida entered a third day with a demonstration in the major eastern city Sunday, while the Taliban called on people to rise up, blaming government forces for any violence.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Stupid....ill-conceived,,,,bad judgement.....moronic.....

but not mad.

Those people are responsible for their own RESTRAINT!! And what youare doing is taking away their responsibility for their actions!!
How am I taking away their responsobility for their actions by saying that I belive both parties are mad? Of course the ones beheading people are way worse. But in my opinion I still think the ones that are burning books are crazy (Definition of mad: crazy, insane, very foolish, out of control, harebrained ideas). killing people is of course much worse but the ones burning books are in my eyes still mad (because they are doing it only for provoking people and getting people upset) but not as mad as the ones killing. And I'm not taking away anyones responsibility, anyone knows that there isnt an excuse to kill people like that, but burning holy books to provoke and upset people is still a pretty mad move according to me. But this discussion of the definiton of madness has no place in this topic and by saying that I am not taking away anyones responsibility, this will be my last post regarding the definition of the word "mad" and how calling a pastor mad is taking away the responsibility for those who are killing people over it, because it's not.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I want the illegal muslims gone.

Legal citizens are okay and their rights should be protected.

It's not all muslims that are the problem, but it's always a muslim causing the problem.
Like that famous muslim, Timmy McVeigh.
/I could do this for hours.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:31 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
The U.S is anti-Christian. I work with an athiest who burns bibles whenever he stays at a hotel. Yet he is outraged at the idea of the Koran being burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies