Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 07:26 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Let me ask you a question. If we charge them for help, and the third largest economy in the world starts banning American imports (something the Japanese love BTW), how far in debt and how badly do you think our economy will get?
Look, the Japanese buy so little from us anyway, it would make the slightest bit of difference. How do you think they got to be the third largest economy---by playing fair in a balanced exchange of imports?

Quote:
But if we help now, when they are rebuilding they will thank us by buying things from us to help rebuild their country. Which will help our economy.
My friend, you are soooo naive in matters of world trade that I hardly know where to begin to address your simplistic idealism.

Private efforts are fine. And it's right for the Federal government to help a Haiti out for humanitarian reasons. But I wouldn't give a millionaire my month's pay to tow his Lamborghini to the shop just because I felt sorry for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 07:27 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
use paragraphs, it helps to sift through the crap.

I find the bolded offensive. You clearly have no idea what is really happening there.
That's for sure. The inability to feel empathy for the sufferings of others is among the least attractive of human characteristics.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Look, the Japanese buy so little from us anyway, it would make the slightest bit of difference. How do you think they got to be the third largest economy---by playing fair in a balanced exchange of imports?

My friend, you are soooo naive in matters of world trade that I hardly know where to begin to address your simplistic idealism.

Private efforts are fine. And it's right for the Federal government to help a Haiti out for humanitarian reasons. But I wouldn't give a millionaire my month's pay to tow his Lamborghini to the shop just because I felt sorry for him.
America’s exports to Japan amounted to
$65.1 billion or 5.1% of overall US exports.

1. Civilian aircraft … $5.2 billion
2. Corn … $3.9 billion
3. Medicinal equipment … $2.8 billion
4. Other industrial machines … $2.4 billion
5. Meat and poultry … $2.1 billion
6. Pharmaceutical preparations … $1.9 billion
7. Telecommunications … $1.8 billion
8. Organic chemicals … $1.74 billion
9. Other household items … $1.69 billion
10. Semiconductors … $1.63 billion

And just how many jobs have the Japanese created in car factories throughout the United States?

You are proving ignorance in the workings of global economics.

My God, think of something else. Japan probably isn't going to be big on nuclear plants. Unless they can somehow lead the way in green energy, which isn't likely, they'll probably use coal.

Who is the Saudi Arabia of coal? The United States.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
use paragraphs, it helps to sift through the crap.

I find the bolded offensive. You clearly have no idea what is really happening there.
Go down to skid row in Los Angeles sometime and see real day-today suffering and then tell me that. I've been down there and I've seen what real suffering looks like. You should give yourself an education and then hop a plane to Japan if you're so anxious to be altruistic. But just be careful not to kick your own countrymen, women and children as you step over them on the way to the ticket agency.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's for sure. The inability to feel empathy for the sufferings of others is among the least attractive of human characteristics.
There will always be some.

There are also many who are quite distressed and willing to offer any assistance they can. I think we should concentrate on that, rather then the minority who are just so caught up in their own tiny world.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Go down to skid row in Los Angeles sometime and see real day-today suffering and then tell me that. I've been down there and I've seen what real suffering looks like. You should give yourself an education and then hop a plane to Japan if you're so anxious to be altruistic. But just be careful not to kick your own countrymen, women and children as you step over them on the way to the ticket agency.
Oh please.

I'm not the one equating ones suffering as worse or better than another person's.

Real suffering? Confirmed - you don't have one iota of a clue of what has and is happening.

10,000 people are likely to have perished.

Kick my own countrymen? You see, I've been able to assist my own countrymen in time of need. Plus New Zealanders, PLUS Japanese

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
America’s exports to Japan amounted to
$65.1 billion or 5.1% of overall US exports.

1. Civilian aircraft … $5.2 billion
2. Corn … $3.9 billion
3. Medicinal equipment … $2.8 billion
4. Other industrial machines … $2.4 billion
5. Meat and poultry … $2.1 billion
6. Pharmaceutical preparations … $1.9 billion
7. Telecommunications … $1.8 billion
8. Organic chemicals … $1.74 billion
9. Other household items … $1.69 billion
10. Semiconductors … $1.63 billion

And just how many jobs have the Japanese created in car factories throughout the United States?

You are proving ignorance in the workings of global economics.

My God, think of something else. Japan probably isn't going to be big on nuclear plants. Unless they can somehow lead the way in green energy, which isn't likely, they'll probably use coal.

Who is the Saudi Arabia of coal? The United States.
Here ya go:

Quote:
U.S. goods and services trade with Japan totaled $270 billion in 2008 (latest data available for Goods and Services trade). Exports totaled $106 billion; Imports totaled $164 billion. The U.S. goods and services trade deficit with Japan was $58 billion in 2008.
So much for balanced trade.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:43 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
I might not be very smart, but I help anyone in need no matter where i find them, and did while i was homeless 3 years. One just never knows when a helping hand may lead to something else.

The Japanese aren't asking for help, but just the same we should offer aid and hospital assistance.

On CNN I saw lines of folks with nothing to eat and all they got was 1 apple. Each one knodded appreciation if i read body language right.

There was none of that stuff I witnessed during katrina where waters and foods weren't good enough. I know exactly what it's like to be hurt bad, and not know where a next meal is coming from or any safe place to sleep is.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
The United States owes Japan 644 Billion dollars should we subtract the cost from what we owe for the help we are giving them now.
Heh. Bad attempt at trolling.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I might not be very smart, but I help anyone in need no matter where i find them, and did while i was homeless 3 years. One just never knows when a helping hand may lead to something else.

The Japanese aren't asking for help, but just the same we should offer aid and hospital assistance.

On CNN I saw lines of folks with nothing to eat and all they got was 1 apple. Each one knodded appreciation if i read body language right.

There was none of that stuff I witnessed during katrina where waters and foods weren't good enough. I know exactly what it's like to be hurt bad, and not know where a next meal is coming from or any safe place to sleep is.
I never advocated not helping Japan. I said very clearly that if private individuals and organizations want to help, be my guest. But not on the Federal government's dime when millions of our own people are going begging. Charity begins at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies