Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 08:16 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of "experts" in this world that haven't experienced a lot of real life but think they know a lot when the reality is they know very little if anything.

When I was 15 I was raped by a counselor employed by the state. I became pregnant. I did not abort, tried to keep the child for 7 months, and ultimately put him up for adoption. I had no help from my parents and lived alone. It was horrifying.

No one came along and tried to assist, including anyone from the "right." People against abortion aren't willing to do much of anything except put your child up for adoption, something that they can ultimately benefit from. Call any of those "abortion alternative" phone numbers and that's what you get; not people willing to help give you a plan for carrying on your education and keeping a roof over your head.

I was a ward of the state at the time and taken care of by nuns. They encouraged me to have an abortion. I was too stubborn. I realized that the child I was carrying was half mine and that the baby did nothing to anyone. It was not his fault.

Having said all of this, if this were to happen to one of my children I would strongly advise my child to have an abortion. What I did was kind, forgiving and noble. It also ruined my life. Putting my child up for adoption made me somewhat "off-kilter" for the rest of my life. I strongly believe that I chased that child for the next couple of decades and I will never be whole.

There are a lot of nuances and complications in situations. We can debate all we want but living through something like I did is not as clear-cut as you would imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
There are a lot of "experts" in this world that haven't experienced a lot of real life but think they know a lot when the reality is they know very little if anything.

When I was 15 I was raped by a counselor employed by the state. I became pregnant. I did not abort, tried to keep the child for 7 months, and ultimately put him up for adoption. I had no help from my parents and lived alone. It was horrifying.

No one came along and tried to assist, including anyone from the "right." People against abortion aren't willing to do much of anything except put your child up for adoption, something that they can ultimately benefit from. Call any of those "abortion alternative" phone numbers and that's what you get; not people willing to help give you a plan for carrying on your education and keeping a roof over your head.

I was a ward of the state at the time and taken care of by nuns. They encouraged me to have an abortion. I was too stubborn. I realized that the child I was carrying was half mine and that the baby did nothing to anyone. It was not his fault.

Having said all of this, if this were to happen to one of my children I would strongly advise my child to have an abortion. What I did was kind, forgiving and noble. It also ruined my life. Putting my child up for adoption made me somewhat "off-kilter" for the rest of my life. I strongly believe that I chased that child for the next couple of decades and I will never be whole.

There are a lot of nuances and complications in situations. We can debate all we want but living through something like I did is not as clear-cut as you would imagine.
thanks you for posting your story. none of the choices with an unplanned pregnancy are an easy out. but all choice should be available for the individual to make. sending you hugs and aloha

Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I'm so sorry for what you went through. It's simply unimaginable to me that so many people would be willing to let so many women (and girls) go through that kind of lifetime heartbreak.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Not breathing. Not life.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
I agree with you. That poster needs to step into the real world, where women have rights.
nice to see misogyny is alive and well..hope he doesnt talk to a female at the workplace like that: in for a nice big lawsuit.
Wrong. You cannot sue someone succesfully in this country because they said something mean.

Maybe the employer will fire them for that, sure. And maybe if multiple employees on multiple occasions create a "hostile work environment" and nothing is done to resolve the issue then maybe you could try a lawsuit against the employer then.

But against an individual for the content of their words? Nope. A little thing called the 1st Amendment.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:28 PM

So we can argue all day long about if a mutated blob of cells is 'life' or not but we can't help a grown man who is homeless on the side of the street?

Poor Republicans. I hope Hell is a comfortable home for you.

Not breathing, not life.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Strel Why do you, and CAN you assume she is not making an informed choice?
Because we constantly see in the news and through many under-cover reports that abortion mills do NOT inform women of much of anything. I've talked about this with a couple of women who told me they had abortions and never realized at 5 weeks it was already a baby because they were never informed by the clinic who makes money for their big corporation by killing babies. They had regretted later killing their baby.

Since when does that education have to include an unnecessary and unwanted medical procedure?
You have to worry for the life and health of the mother even if you want to kill the baby. There have been regrets that have in instaces lead to suicides or mental problems down the line later. Better to inform in the beginning. It's really common sense.

This has 4th amendment violation all over it.
How about "THOU SHALL NOT KILL" innocent life.
A "couple of women" you once knew represent all then? Do you really think women going through this procedure DON"T KNOW? Don't consider the decision they're making very seriously and gravely? Sorry but...are you a man? Is this really about the poor, poor fetuses or control?

"Money for their big corporation killing babies"? Sorry but this reeks of emotional zealousness. Do you have any links to these corporations who profit off baby killing?

Do you want to tell women who have been raped that they must conceive? Do you think those who are unable to be taken care of should be brought forth into the world? Do you support a higher welfare state if abortion if abolished (this would be inevitable)? Do you only advocate life inside the womb?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:25 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
A "couple of women" you once knew represent all then? Do you really think women going through this procedure DON"T KNOW? Don't consider the decision they're making very seriously and gravely? Sorry but...are you a man? Is this really about the poor, poor fetuses or control?

"Money for their big corporation killing babies"? Sorry but this reeks of emotional zealousness. Do you have any links to these corporations who profit off baby killing?

Do you want to tell women who have been raped that they must conceive? Do you think those who are unable to be taken care of should be brought forth into the world? Do you support a higher welfare state if abortion if abolished (this would be inevitable)? Do you only advocate life inside the womb?
There that is again.

Look up an abortion opinion poll. The percentage of women opposed to abortion is usually equal to or greater than the percentage of men opposed to abortion.

So yes, it is about the life.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 AM

So lets defend the life that doesn't exist while the lives of millions of Americans are undoubtedly getting worse every day? What kind of backwards logic is that? Oh wait. Republicans. Nevermind!

Not breathing, not life.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defective14 View Post
So we can argue all day long about if a mutated blob of cells is 'life' or not but we can't help a grown man who is homeless on the side of the street?

Poor Republicans. I hope Hell is a comfortable home for you.

Not breathing, not life.
and when all the children are born to the poor, we dont see any repugs offering to help either. Some of the poorest nations, like the Phillipines, have a high percentage of strict Catholicism, no contraception even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies