Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,664,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Do you realize how much that would cost?

With that comment, it becomes difficult to believe you have ever traveled abroad. In my experience, only the French resist an American who speaks English... and then only up to the point where you try to speak French. But they become so horrified at your bastardization of their language that they revert to English purely out of pride.

A lot less than printing in all languages.

We would save some trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why is it mean spirited?

Not mean spirited, just getting in touch with what other "progressive" countries have done

Old 03-15-2011, 05:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Should BE is not a suggestion in a Govt job, it is a REQUIREMENT.

No, it isn't. Should is not the same thing as must.

First you were an angry taxpayer. Now you're an angry taxpayer who is just toying around with language.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:26 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, it isn't. Should is not the same thing as must.

First you were an angry taxpayer. Now you're an angry taxpayer who is just toying around with language.
Say what you mean, mean what you say.

You think public employees should just go learn other languages, use them on the job, yet not be compensated for them. Because...... you think they "should".

Ok

Old 03-15-2011, 08:31 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You think public employees should just go learn other languages, use them on the job, yet not be compensated for them. Because...... you think they "should".
No, I think public employees should know how to communicate with the public, because it is their job.

Public employees are a cross section of the local population anyway, so in well-run governments, this issue takes care of itself.

In any case, y'all still haven't explained how this law would solve any of the practical problems that you bring up, about how to serve non-English speaking citizens.

Last edited by le roi; 03-15-2011 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
I live in Switzerland, which has 3 official languages, French, German and Italian. What is spoken depends on the region you live in.

I speak none of those languages. Yet, I have no trouble communicating and living my life using English. Why? Because the Swiss see the economic and cultural benefit of being able to work with and accommodate speakers of English. In the same way that many Americans (myself included) see the benefit of being able to communicate in Spanish when in the USA.

Far from being threatened by bilingual culture, I embrace it as a richer experience, and reject any attempts to go backwards by insisting on a single language in what is historically a bicultural nation.

Can you imagine Canada trying to weed out all things Francophone?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Why is it mean spirited?
It's not.

Just imagine the legal mischief lawyers have with interpretation of the law, when our laws and government documents are written in 50 different languages.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I live in Switzerland, which has 3 official languages, French, German and Italian. What is spoken depends on the region you live in.

I speak none of those languages. Yet, I have no trouble communicating and living my life using English. Why? Because the Swiss see the economic and cultural benefit of being able to work with and accommodate speakers of English. In the same way that many Americans (myself included) see the benefit of being able to communicate in Spanish when in the USA.

Far from being threatened by bilingual culture, I embrace it as a richer experience, and reject any attempts to go backwards by insisting on a single language in what is historically a bicultural nation.

Can you imagine Canada trying to weed out all things Francophone?
If only it was bilingual. There are 104 different languages spoken in Alaska. This is a map of where some of those languages are spoken:

Alaska Native Languages

Alaska attempted to make English the official language in 1998 by initiative, but even though the vast majority voted in favor of making English the official language, the Alaska Supreme Court shot it down.

Canada, by the way has two official languages - English and French. They also have over 100 different languages spoken (primarily by natives) that they do not officially recognize.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It's not.

Just imagine the legal mischief lawyers have with interpretation of the law, when our laws and government documents are written in 50 different languages.
Why bother to imagine such an absurd scenario?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
what about the needs of a country?
What would Taliban do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies