Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,663,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Why bother to imagine such an absurd scenario?
That is what will happen if we don't make English the national language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
That is what will happen if we don't make English the national language
Given that it hasn't happened in 200+ years here, I don't see why you think it will happen in the future.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Given that it hasn't happened in 200+ years here, I don't see why you think it will happen in the future.
Trust me, when extreme right wingers take hold of governance in any country around the globe, these are the kind of things, social engineering, that become a necessity in a very short period of time. I also see this bill as an "insurance policy" against the influence of a growing Hispanic population in the USA.

In one of my recent readings, emphasis was on changes in Sri Lanka over about 3-4 decades that has involved a sense of fundamentalism preventing multi-linguism, but promotion of the national language (Sinhala?). The result is a society that, while having well qualified individuals, is not as inviting a place for international business as countries that thrive on multi-linguistic societies, in fact, just to the north of Sri Lanka.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
No, I think public employees should know how to communicate with the public, because it is their job.

Public employees are a cross section of the local population anyway, so in well-run governments, this issue takes care of itself.

In any case, y'all still haven't explained how this law would solve any of the practical problems that you bring up, about how to serve non-English speaking citizens.

Exactly what the bill is going to do, expect them to learn and speak English if they want services. In the mean time they can do what illegals usually do, find someone to interpret (usually a child or family member). We don't have that many refuges.

Maybe you should volunteer your time for them?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,921,458 times
florida is an english only state.

go down to south florida and tell me how strictly that law is being enforced.

dog and pony show to keep the base happy. nothing more, nothing less.

nothing will change if this is passed.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
florida is an english only state.

go down to south florida and tell me how strictly that law is being enforced.

dog and pony show to keep the base happy. nothing more, nothing less.

nothing will change if this is passed.
Indeed - Florida does have English as its official language.

But good luck trying to use that to force people to speak it.

That pesky First Amendment strikes again!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,640,874 times
Quote:
Sounds like the emergency responder is not properly trained.
And how many languages exactly would the responder have to know to be 'properly trained'?

English
Spanish
Mandarin
Hindi
Vietnamese
Russian
Tagalog
Japanese

Go on, add some more!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,445,049 times
Quote:
i get the impression that most immigrants who don't speak english, don't speak english because they don't know how to speak english, not because they obstinately refuse to do so.

anyways, i've always been glad that the United States had no official language. It's not clear to me why we suddenly need one now. Is there something wrong with having a portion of the country speak another language? If so, what?
There are people who have lived here for 30 years and still dont know how to speak english.

It's not because they haven't had the opportunity to take a class to learn.

It's because everything is made convenient for them TO NEVER have to learn english. They have their daily newspapers, and tv networks providing entertainment and news in their native languages. Meanwhile we cater to those people by providing interpreters in hospitals, government offices, etc that you subsidize with YOUR tax dollars.

It's unnecessary and expensive. Printing multiple government forms in foreign languages.

SAP in Spanish on English broadcast channels but the same courtesy is not REQUIRED on foreign language television stations to provide translation in ENGLISH.

It's not equal, it's not a balance, it's discrimination.

Why do we favor Spanish over French, Polish, Italian, Gaelic, German? Because those immigrants when they came here to the USA - LEARNED ENGLISH! They don't need packaging in 12 languages to buy a product!

Police officers, 911 operators, fire/paramedics - have to learn Spanish. There are jobs being offered in the USA right now that REQUIRE you know how to speak Spanish. This needs to stop. It's convenient for them to never have to learn English and set up a separate colony of Spanish speakers. Just like in Canada with French.

Spanish speakers need to learn ENGLISH. like everyone else did. They don't'want to because they DON'T WANT TO ASSIMILATE! THEY ARE HERE TO COLONIZE.

Two or more languages on food and household products. It's expensive, ridiculous and unnecessary.

When do we phase out the foreign languages on packaging? Give them 5 years to learn english then stop the presses!

Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Exactly what the bill is going to do, expect them to learn and speak English if they want services.
I call bull on that. Show me where the law says this.

Quote:
In the mean time they can do what illegals usually do, find someone to interpret (usually a child or family member). We don't have that many refuges.
who said anything about illegals? you think everyone who speaks a foreign language is an illegal immigrant?

Quote:
Maybe you should volunteer your time for them?
What are you babbling about?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,717,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are people who have lived here for 30 years and still dont know how to speak english.

It's not because they haven't had the opportunity to take a class to learn.
I'm fine with that.

Quote:
It's because everything is made convenient for them TO NEVER have to learn english. They have their daily newspapers, and tv networks providing entertainment and news in their native languages. Meanwhile we cater to those people by providing interpreters in hospitals, government offices, etc that you subsidize with YOUR tax dollars.
Are you saying that only english speaking people pay taxes?

Quote:
It's unnecessary and expensive. Printing multiple government forms in foreign languages.
It's absolutely necessary, if you want to communicate with Americans who don't speak English.

Quote:
SAP in Spanish on English broadcast channels but the same courtesy is not REQUIRED on foreign language television stations to provide translation in ENGLISH.

It's not equal, it's not a balance, it's discrimination.
Show me where SAP in Spanish is required on English speaking channels. I'm not familiar with that mandate.

Quote:
Why do we favor Spanish over French, Polish, Italian, Gaelic, German?
We don't. My ancestors spoke German and French in coastal South Carolina, from about 1720, up until right around 1780's - 1800. No one forced them to change, like you are suggesting we force people to do, today.

Quote:
Police officers, 911 operators, fire/paramedics - have to learn Spanish. There are jobs being offered in the USA right now that REQUIRE you know how to speak Spanish.
Not where I live.

In places where that's relevant .... good for them, for not discriminating against Spanish speakers.

Quote:
This needs to stop.
No, it doesn't.

Last edited by le roi; 03-15-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies