Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

43 posts, read 18,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, the problem is not about immigration (it has always been seen as a problem, throughout America and since before its founding). It is about political strategies utilizing xenophobia. And no "culture" is inherently evil although fundamentalists in any culture can be. I would highly recommend someone thinking otherwise to get get his/her head checked.

And while at it, let me point out that many governments, a few democracies included, have forced such social engineering by pushing for the majority language. And I can't see ANYTHING good coming out of it, but a society that keeps closing itself, and someday is destined to implode. It can also promote division of the populace (but politicians generally like the idea... divide and rule), as is true in Sri Lanka. Then one could consider "national pride" and "majority" being the excuses for discriminating against other (minority) language speakers as in Turkmenistan and the Taliban banning English. The politicians get away with such idiocy but it is the populace in the future generations that suffer. Despite an educated populace, it is harder (from lack of bilingual speakers) that foreign countries have hesitated to establish business in Sri Lanka. Even as a tourist, it was a place that seemed unwelcoming on linguistic grounds. Unlike a country to its north (India) that is thriving with international interest (not just English speaking, but French, German, Japanese, Spanish... you name it).
You claim the only reason that there should be some sort of immigration laws is because it is a big racist conspiracy? *sigh*

Why would you compare Sri Lanka with a country that has about a billion people? And somehow think that a place would actually choose India over Sri Lanka because of their language policy and not the fact that India has 50 times the population?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:01 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
I wonder if "alialejandro" means "straw man argument" in some other language...

Old 03-17-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I have to ask... is English not your native language?

Because "non-English speaking" means "does not speak English."

1. They cannot speak English for the same reason that you probably cannot speak Urdu. They have not learned it.

2. It is your responsibility to pay your taxes. It is the government's responsibility to use those taxes correctly.

3. In communities where there more than one dominant langauge, a bilingual infrastructure is always less expensive for the entire community.

4. I note in passing: The foreign language speakers pay taxes too.

They are "forcing you" to pay for everyone that access the government, regardless of what language they speak.

Sure:
Only if you ignore all context and other meanings of the phrase, sure.

Why would they choose to not learn English?

No, my responsibility is only what I agree to do through contract/consent.

We are speaking only of America. So no, that is not the case.

No, they don't. Some of them do,m some o them do not get paid under the table.

I agree I am forced through threat of aggression to have my labor taken from me.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I wonder if "alialejandro" means "straw man argument" in some other language...
I know your post was an attack against the man fallacy. Keep up the good work, turbo.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alialejandro View Post
I know your post was an attack against the man fallacy. Keep up the good work, turbo.
You have consistently misrepresented the positions of your opponents in your posts.

Bad form.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
You have consistently misrepresented the positions of your opponents in your posts.

Bad form.
Are you sure they are not explaining in a way that covers their bases? Maybe they simply never thought of my response when determining their opinions on the subject of forced through threat of aggression policies?

Old 03-17-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Are you sure they are not explaining in a way that covers their bases? Maybe they simply never thought of my response when determining their opinions on the subject of forced through threat of aggression policies?
I am sure you have misinterpreted what at least two of them have said.

Directly.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I am sure you have misinterpreted what at least two of them have said.

Directly.
For example? And thanks for ignoring the last post, turbo.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
You claim the only reason that there should be some sort of immigration laws is because it is a big racist conspiracy? *sigh*
I'm not discussing immigration laws here. Are you?

Quote:
Why would you compare Sri Lanka with a country that has about a billion people? And somehow think that a place would actually choose India over Sri Lanka because of their language policy and not the fact that India has 50 times the population?
What has population got to do with a country choosing to close the door, live behind it, assuming all is right when there is all the evidence to the contrary? Sure, the "home language" is thriving, but at what cost? But don't bother, you're unlikely to get it.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:58 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Only if you ignore all context and other meanings of the phrase, sure.
No. Even then, that is what it means. One does not depend on context to rescue an inappropriately used word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alialejandro
Why would they choose to not learn English?
Why would you presume it was a choice?

Quote:
No, my responsibility is only what I agree to do through contract/consent.
I can think of no single argument that has a more perfect record of failure in the American courts than that one.

Quote:
We are speaking only of America. So no, that is not the case.
Well, ignoring that I'm sure you really meant "We are speaking only of the United States," if what you said was true we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Quote:
No, they don't. Some of them do,m some o them do not get paid under the table.
This is true for English speakers as well.

Quote:
I agree I am forced through threat of aggression to have my labor taken from me.
Don't like it? Then move to Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies