Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Juan Williams, while someone with whom I disagree on many things, is his own man. When he's on Fox News I never get the feeling he's advancing anyone's agenda save his own. That just won't do for National Patronizing Radio.
I agree. I hardly ever agree with much he says. At least he backs up his beliefs with something though.

Not "all republicans are racist". or "Democrats are unpatriotic". The usual stuff from the press.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 04:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Just defund it. Doesn't matter. NPR won't miss it except in the tiniest markets. I'm tired of the right using it as a whipping boy for everything from Cancer to terrorism.

Should be simple enough.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:17 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
I think Mr Williams orchestrated his own exit from NPR. He got out of one contract and into another in a flash........

Funny how those who seem to support "Right to Work" laws, suddenly have a issue with someone being fired.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,274,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I think Mr Williams orchestrated his own exit from NPR. He got out of one contract and into another in a flash........

Funny how those who seem to support "Right to Work" laws, suddenly have a issue with someone being fired.
He got into another contract "in a flash" because the man is GOOD and FOX is open to FREE SPEECH!

And, yes. Hurrah for no union involvement. The publicly funded employer unfairly fires an employee. The public voices their objection and withdraws funds. The unjustly fired, excellent employee gets quickly hired by another, better employer. Alls well that ends well.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM

78,414 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I love NPR.
I do too. I just don't want my tax dollars funding a news source with a clear bias. I've LONG thought that NPR shouldn't get govt $$$.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:33 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,137,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I do too. I just don't want my tax dollars funding a news source with a clear bias. I've LONG thought that NPR shouldn't get govt $$$.
Again, please link to some stories on the NPR web site that are an example of biased reporting.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
He got into another contract "in a flash" because the man is GOOD and FOX is open to FREE SPEECH!

And, yes. Hurrah for no union involvement. The publicly funded employer unfairly fires an employee. The public voices their objection and withdraws funds. The unjustly fired, excellent employee gets quickly hired by another, better employer. Alls well that ends well.
If "right to work" is "right to fire", nothing unfair or unjust. No reason needed.

Last edited by plannine; 03-14-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
If "right to work" is "right to fire", nothing unfair or unjust. No reason needed.
Yes....and opinions can and were formed...and funding can and will be withdrawn. No reason needed. Works great!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
As usual, Juan Williams presents intelligent, thoughtful, insight in this critique of the network where he used to work and was so unfairly and rudely fired. His criticism is mainly of the Washington Elites of NPR, who have corrupted it.

JUAN WILLIAMS: It's Time to Defund NPR - FoxNews.com

"NPR's leadership under the likes of Weiss and the two Schillers...
created an anti-intellectual environment that took delight and pride in censoring journalists like me for honestly admitting that people dressed in Muslim garb make me nervous at airports. They had lost slight of promoting debates and providing information that is essential for people who want to be well-informed as citizens of a thriving democracy."

Read more: JUAN WILLIAMS: It's Time to Defund NPR - FoxNews.com

Reading this piece by Williams makes it clear that this man is way too professional, ethical and intelligent for what NPR has become. They really lost a gem when they foolishly let this guy go.
Seems like nobody gets to his final statements, which is not condemning the content of NPR but the management team.

My hope is that the great journalists who are at NPR will carry on and that the NPR audience will support them, especially at the level of local member stations where in many places NPR is a community treasure. Those stations often provide coverage that is hard to find as local newspaper and TV coverage declines due to economic pressures.
So, I'm still an NPR fan, but I'm no fan of the self-serving, self-righteous thinking that is at the top level of NPR in Washington and that has corrupted a once great brand

Old 03-14-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Seems like nobody gets to his final statements, which is not condemning the content of NPR but the management team.

My hope is that the great journalists who are at NPR will carry on and that the NPR audience will support them, especially at the level of local member stations where in many places NPR is a community treasure. Those stations often provide coverage that is hard to find as local newspaper and TV coverage declines due to economic pressures.
So, I'm still an NPR fan, but I'm no fan of the self-serving, self-righteous thinking that is at the top level of NPR in Washington and that has corrupted a once great brand

The original post clearly presented the fact that Mr. Williams complaint lies with the Washington elite and not the journalists or local stations.

He is a very gracious man and certainly if the audience of NPR wishes to donate to support NPR and they stay afloat that way, then bravo for them. But, it is clear that government funding should no longer be provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies