Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,140 times

Advertisements

I'm a little behind on this issue, but is Walker beholden to one Koch or both Kochs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,975,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The Democrats consider the tax cuts "symbolic".. While you are now telling us its responsible for $140M in loss income.. which is it?

p.s. its symbolic as I said earlier on numerous posting because if you cut the corporate tax cut, this means you gain payroll tax revenues, or profit tax..
This is going over your head. Some Dems say the tax cuts are "mostly symbolic" ...that would imply they admit some degree of the tax cuts are "real".

140 Mil in real tax cuts according to the financial experts in Wisconsin.

If you'll just slow down maybe this will not be confusing to you?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yeah.. I read the title, but you are using THAT as a source to claim the deficits arent as bad as they are? Even Democrats acknowledged the huge deficits, and here we are with you. telling us they are all wrong.. and ONLY poltifacts is correct..
They're desperately clinging to manipulative propaganda. Doesn't matter that it's blatantly incorrect.

Me? I'll take Democrat Governor Doyle at his word
Quote:
Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle's administration on Friday told Republican Governor-elect Scott Walker that he would have to cope with a $2.2 billion deficit in the state's upcoming two-year budget, but this brighter-than-expected forecast contained more than $1 billion in hidden pain.
To arrive at the favorable estimate, the Doyle administration's estimate assumed that Walker and lawmakers would make spending cuts that have yet to actually happen - two more years of state employee furloughs, no pay raises, a virtual hiring freeze and belt tightening in state health programs. Without that $1.1 billion in savings, the state's projected shortfall rises to $3.3 billion - a significant increase over previous estimates that put the gap at between $2.7 billion and $3.1 billion.
Report on Wisconsin

The actual deficit is a little higher than Doyle's estimate at $3.6 billion.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
It means exactly what it says.
Which is what? What do you think "more symbolic than substantive" means?

Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Unions can get anything on the ballot because they have all our tax dollars paying for all their self interest politics at the cost of hundreds of millions.

This is part of the problem.

The Wis politicians are not touchable for a year, and by that time they may gain sainthood with the voters.
Interesting point you raise....so I did some quick research on it. According to my quick searching ( Union Members Summary )

roughly half (7.6 million were government employees, 7.1 million were employed privately) of the total number of union workers in the US worked for one level of government or another (local, state or federal etc...).

What does this mean ? Well to me it proves your point RCCCB. Roughly 52% of union workers are paid with tax dollars. What this means is that the US tax payer is paying 100% of the wages of these public employee union members, who are in turn paying 100% of the income the union itself has in the form of union dues, which the unions are using to lobby and shake down the government for more pay which of course comes from our tax dollars.

So....our tax dollars are being used to shake us down for more tax dollars. Talk about our dollars being used against us !

Old 03-14-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Interesting point you raise....so I did some quick research on it. According to my quick searching ( Union Members Summary )

roughly half (7.6 million were government employees, 7.1 million were employed privately) of the total number of union workers in the US worked for one level of government or another (local, state or federal etc...).

What does this mean ? Well to me it proves your point RCCCB. Roughly 52% of union workers are paid with tax dollars. What this means is that the US tax payer is paying 100% of the wages of these public employee union members, who are in turn paying 100% of the income the union itself has in the form of union dues, which the unions are using to lobby and shake down the government for more pay which of course comes from our tax dollars.

So....our tax dollars are being used to shake us down for more tax dollars. Talk about our dollars being used against us !
Let me clue you in on something. When any worker union or non-union obtains more pay/benefits those increased labor costs are passed on to you the consumer. Heaven forbid! I know you would love everyone in the USA to make minimum wage so you can purchase your 99 cent cheeseburger at Walmart but most Americans feel you should be able to earn a decent wage and take care of your family if you are willing to work. Stop trying to drag this country into the gutter.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Let me clue you in on something. When any worker union or non-union obtains more pay/benefits those increased labor costs are passed on to you the consumer. Heaven forbid! I know you would love everyone in the USA to make minimum wage so you can purchase your 99 cent cheeseburger at Walmart but most Americans feel you should be able to earn a decent wage and take care of your family if you are willing to work.
Your analogy doesn't work for public employees. We already pay way more for public education than other countries, and get worse results.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
That just gets it on the ballot and only in a few cases. Its prety easy to get names really.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Your analogy doesn't work for public employees. We already pay way more for public education than other countries, and get worse results.
And the most atrocious SAT scores and scholastic results come from Red States who pay their teachers like crap.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:09 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
This is going over your head. Some Dems say the tax cuts are "mostly symbolic" ...that would imply they admit some degree of the tax cuts are "real".

140 Mil in real tax cuts according to the financial experts in Wisconsin.

If you'll just slow down maybe this will not be confusing to you?
It seems you are confused.. Here, lets follow the timeline
1) You claim the deficits were minor
2) To validate this claim you linked us to a Rachel Maddow "dispute" by politico to dispute Maddows claims of "surpluses"..
3) You ignored all other reports which indicate the deficits were in the billions and ONLY considered "Politico" as correct..
Tell me again what makes Politico correct, and all other sources, including Democrats in Wisconsin wrong?
4) Its mostly symbolic because your financial expert calculated the "corporate" tax cuts and it becomes symbolic because if tax cuts are cut on the corporations, these profits are passed onto employees or investors which then become taxed.. Yes.. its symbolic if its not a real cut in revenue, but it is a cut on the rate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Which is what? What do you think "more symbolic than substantive" means?
I'm wondering the same.. On second padcrasher is telling us the deficits are minor, and the tax cuts are HUGE, and his definition of minor is a few hundred million, and he claims those HUGE tax cuts are a "symbolic" $140M... How can $140M be huge, and $200-$300M be nothing.. I'll wait for Padcrasher to explain it to us stupid folks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies