Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
You really are obsessed aren't you. Most, some, a little bit. You have an agenda. Man up and spit it out!

I admit I believe in God but I could not tell you when the last time was I went to a church. Decades for sure.

Nope, not obsessed at all. I have no agenda here other than trying to understand what folks are saying. In most cases, that's pretty easy to do.

I was going to take issue with your assertion that most, i.e. the majority, people of faith believe that Japan is being punished by "god". However, I think you have already admitted that's not what you meant? I don't doubt that some fundamentalist-types might believe that "god" is punishing Japan for something, but no way do I believe the majority of folks think that to be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:23 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nope, not obsessed at all. I have no agenda here other than trying to understand what folks are saying. In most cases, that's pretty easy to do.

I was going to take issue with your assertion that most, i.e. the majority, people of faith believe that Japan is being punished by "god". However, I think you have already admitted that's not what you meant? I don't doubt that some fundamentalist-types might believe that "god" is punishing Japan for something, but no way do I believe the majority of folks think that to be true.
But do the majority of people who listen to Beck believe it to be true?

They don't seem very bright so certainly they'd believe everything that idiot says????

Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Well, to be completely fair, I believe Beck said "...this might be a sign from God..." or something similar?

More to your point, I would not be surprised if a disproportionately large percentage of Beck viewers believe it actually was "God" punishing Japan for something, when compared to everyone else. I have zero data to back that up, however.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Is Beck selling Radiation pills yet?

Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""Jesus loves Christians. Japan isn't Christian, so they're getting what they deserve."

No! Seriously?? Was that really the "message"?

Jesus is a god? There's no christians in Japan?

Beck's against abortion but prefers mass killings of born humans???

Is he insane?
Beck is far from insane. He's a very successful huckster with an audience of willfully ignorant followers. He feeds their need for fear and hatred by erecting a never-ending pantheon of "enemies" for them to direct their bitterness on. They doggedly defend his every word. Because those words are echos of their innermost thoughts.

Not insane

Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM

37,966 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
Glenn Beck: Japan Earthquake Might Be A 'Message' From God (AUDIO)

Ironically the one who knows the least about the Lord's work claims to know how he works.
Since I seldom, if ever, watch any part of his cable show, or listen to him on the radio, what he says is not a concern for me.

What I cannot understand, is why so many on the left seem so obsessed with responding to what he says, or post in threads like this, or Palin for that matter.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:21 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Since I seldom, if ever, watch any part of his cable show, or listen to him on the radio, what he says is not a concern for me.

What I cannot understand, is why so many on the left seem so obsessed with responding to what he says, or post in threads like this, or Palin for that matter.
So you think discussing anything is being "obsessed"?

Or is it ONLY if Libs/Democrats/lefties do it.

BECAUSE righties start plenty of threads on the "Palins" of the right.

Hopefully by discussing these idiots, repugs may learn to think for themselves and see what total numbskulls they are following....(miracles do happen )

Maybe YOU could tell me what "god's " message was??????

PS: If you want to see obsession look at the idiotic threads started because "Obama played golf! Obama spent 15 minutes predicting basketball winners! OH ! He so BAAAADDD!!!!"""

THAT is obsession....and a whole lotta other diseases....

Old 03-16-2011, 08:29 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,722,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

Where is this left you speak of? Again. I consider myself moderate. I do not vote along party lines and in fact have great disdain for the partisan BS that I believe is so prevalent in our political arena. In that same arena, to say moderate seems to be, in the opinion of many conservatives, an admission of being a liberal. So in not absolutely toeing the partisan line of the right, I become an America hating, elitist liberal. Quite a jump.

Therein lies my aversion. People vote for a candidate largely because of his or her party even if that politician's stance on issues is mixed. We have become a paranoid and reactionary bunch and in tougher times, that reactionary nature is magnified. In the post 911 world, to question authority is met with accusations of not being a patriot even though it is the essence of being American (freedom of speech).

Maybe it's because of some kind of attention deficit, but we have put ourselves into concise polarized groups. Left and right. Liberal and conservative. Red and blue. It seems like gang mentality as if the whole country is in either the Bloods or the Crips. We even use the colors of those gangs...blue and red...As if there is no in between. I believe there is a continuum from ultra conservative to ultra liberal with people all along the spectrum. This may be done largely by the media for the sake of convenience or to simplify things but, IMO, this is nonproductive and inaccurate. Like some kind of convention to distract us while a relative few pillage away.

So I try not to fall into that category. I don't watch GB, or any of the Fox / MSNBC talking heads much but I do occasionally so I can feel like I have something to back my opinions. I did turn on GB's show last night and listened to him talk of his opinion of the nuclear situation in Japan using M and Ms as a prop. He spoke of choices we can make etc. I can safely say that I took a few things away from the show as I do when I take the time to watch any of these people.

So in this era of political simplification, GB is on the Fox Network. That along with certain opinions of his place him neatly as a conservative. I guess then it's natural for those who don't mind playing the colors game, who see themselves on the other side, to oppose him largely because he is to the right. And naturally those people are going to be the most vocal against him and perhaps "seem so obsessed with responding to what he says" as the poster I quoted pondered. This seems like a natural consequence of playing this partisan game and I do not see the left doing it more than the right. Both sides seem to do it and do it plenty. Just go to any Obama related thread and see the conservative venom flow or to a Palin thread for the left's attack.

Call me naive but I don't hate GB or Hannity or Maddow. People. We are all Americans. Times are hard. I say drop the partisan crap and unite. In these trying times, it may be the only thing that saves us. And as far as faith goes, embrace each other and respect the other's beliefs even if different from your own. Show some compassion for the Japanese. They could sure use it and one day it may be us so why the heck not?

OK. I better stop now before I start asking us all to hold hands and start singing Kumbayah.

Peace and love.

Last edited by Mr Floyd; 03-16-2011 at 09:03 AM..

Old 03-16-2011, 08:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Beck is far from insane. He's a very successful huckster with an audience of willfully ignorant followers. He feeds their need for fear and hatred by erecting a never-ending pantheon of "enemies" for them to direct their bitterness on. They doggedly defend his every word. Because those words are echos of their innermost thoughts.
Not insane .
That's exactly it. He's making a good buck on this.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Japan is located in an area where it is impossible to avoid earthquakes. It's not rocket science....
Some would have you believe the movement of tectonic plates is VooDoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies