Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:04 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Pro-lifers are one of the reasons I stopped going to church.

And I find it ironic how Republicans push for small government, yet they think the government should tell people what to do regarding abortion.

Abortion is not just about women either. It's also about men that don't want a baby.

I'm a man and I'm one of the most pro-choice/pro-abortion people. This is because the thought of having a baby is so undesirable to me.
I feel the same way. I can't imagine the horror of being forced to have a baby I do not want, let alone carrying it around for nine months and giving birth to it against my will. {{{shiver}}}

Old 03-15-2011, 02:05 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
That would really depend on the situation. If an evil tyrant is killing people and it's for the greater good to remove him from power, I would say go to war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I prefer to think that we should protect the innocent...no matter what our involvement is.
But then, you would have to evacuate all the innocent
people from the country you are going to war with,
before you go to war - to be morally correct

Let's take Iraq for example: As of October 2010, the Iraq Body Count Project has recorded over 100,000 civilian deaths and their estimates by others are considered low.
IBC counts only Iraq civilian deaths that are reported in newspapers or on television. Others like "Unknown News"
has the civilian body count in Iraq at 864,531.

War, in essence IS immoral, whether decidedly deemed just or not. There is no way in getting around it.

An abortion pales in comparison to war, regardless of your moral compass on that issue.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:58 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
When I ask this question, people never give me a clear answer.

Don't get the wrong idea and misinterpret what I'm saying/asking.

I'm not saying I'm moral because I support abortion. I'm saying I'm moral in other ways, and it just so happens I support abortion.

As far as I'm concerned, you can support abortion but still be moral if you're moral in other ways.

There are more factors than just abortion to determine your morality.
Do you support all abortions, any abortion, for any reason, at any time during the pregnancy or birth?

How long after the birth do you consider the killing of the baby still qualifies as an abortion?

If the umbilical cord is still attached, with the crying baby out of the womb, is it still an abortion in your view, if it is killed?

Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I feel the same way. I can't imagine the horror of being forced to have a baby I do not want, let alone carrying it around for nine months and giving birth to it against my will. {{{shiver}}}
Is this a new trend? - not wanting kids. Did we do something wrong or is it just the wonderful world we live in

Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I know I am late to the party here but I have some observations.

you are asking a question about a subject that is at best a moving target.

Morality is not a subject that is universal in understanding.

Some here will tell you that ending a life is immoral. Period.
Others will state that forcing a woman to have a baby that will cause her untold hardship is immoral.

We have competing moral codes.

Beyond that we have reached a place where morality is no longer a corporate affair. Those days went up in the smoky haze of the 1960. Morality is now an individual matter and we do what seems right to ourselves. Personally I see this as societal decay but others will tell you it is a good thing.

There was a time when morality mattered and we shared some common standards. Now what matters is our own feelings and what best serves the individual and we call this morality.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Nothing sarcastic about my question.

My question just asked people to look beyond the hysterical hype to find the facts. Scratch the suface and look a little deeper than all of those catchy little pro-life phrases that try to hide the truth.
Quote:
So what do you want? Do you want to ban all late term abortions?

Do you want women to die because they are not allowed to abort in the third trimenter?
I detected a clear sarcastic tone to the way you worded your question; thus the snarky answer.

But to set the record straight again, I am 100% pro-choice, for any reason, during the first trimester. At some stage along the way, the developing fetus becomes a real baby and deserves the protection that society can bestow upon it. After about 4 months or thereabouts, I think it is reasonable for society to start setting some limits on who should be able to get them and I cited clear medical reasons as the benchmark. During the very early third trimester I favor the abortion option only when the life of the mother is clearly at stake and I have misgivings about that. If a mother's life is at stake in carrying a baby to late term and needs an early delivery, no reasonable person has a problem with an induced early delivery. Just the thought of an almost full-term baby being delivered feet first and then having its brains sucked out is disturbing to me. That is the deliberate killing of a near full term infant and it horrifies me.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 03-15-2011 at 05:11 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 04:40 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
A conservative argument I've heard is this:

The conservatives don't care about the baby once it's born because that's the parents responsibility.

But what if the parents are unfit to be parents? What if they used birth control but the birth control failed? What if that's the whole reason they want to get an abortion?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:15 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
A conservative argument I've heard is this:

The conservatives don't care about the baby once it's born because that's the parents responsibility.

But what if the parents are unfit to be parents? What if they used birth control but the birth control failed? What if that's the whole reason they want to get an abortion?
That's a liberal argument not a conservative one.

All I can say about the scenario you present above is that it's a good thing I'm not in charge of deciding who gets to have a baby and who doesn't, because I've met countless people in my lifetime that I would not have allowed to have children.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Is this a new trend? - not wanting kids. Did we do something wrong or is it just the wonderful world we live in
NO! it is NOT a new trend...there have been people for hundreds of years who have not wanted children.

There is NOTHING wrong with that.

It is a CHOICE NOT a destiny.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:25 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Do you support all abortions, any abortion, for any reason, at any time during the pregnancy or birth?

How long after the birth do you consider the killing of the baby still qualifies as an abortion?

If the umbilical cord is still attached, with the crying baby out of the womb, is it still an abortion in your view, if it is killed?

the first question you pose is the only legitimate question of the three.

the second two questions have nothing to do with "abortion" women don't abort babies after they are born, nor do we abort babies born with the umbilical cord still attached
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies