Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
That's a rather utilitarian kind of way to approach ethics. Which is fine, except that a lot of people really aren't utilitarians. The argument may resonate with some people, but its pretty much just going to mean nothing to other people, because they view it as largely irrelevant.

There are some people who think the world is overcrowded which itself might lead to a form of misery (Malthusian-type concerns continue to concern some people), and utilitarians sometimes have solutions for that too (which is usually along the lines either of eugenics, or another approach being imposing restrictions on who can have children, or how many can be had, etc...).... and again those solutions may sit quite well with many utilitarians, because they see it as a solution to a problem. But not everyone thinks those means are an acceptable way to achieve a particular end.
It doesn't matter. There is no moral justification for murder.

I agree with you on the population crisis--we need to stop having so many children. If you don't want kids, sterilize yourself or use protection. I'm avidly childfree (I don't want kids EVER!!!!!), but I would never support abortion.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,278 times
it depends on if you feel you're taking a life or not. If you think abortion is murder than you can't suport it and still be moral but if you feel tha abortion is not exactly taking a life than yes you can suport it and still be moral.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,558,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
So you would stop a beating heart? (insert your YIKES here)
It has nothing to do with me. It has to do with abortion remaining accessible if that is what a woman determines is the best course of action for herself. Or if adoption is the best course of action. Or if keeping the baby is the best course of action. Choice is not about abortion. Choice is about a woman deciding for herself what is the best course of action morally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially. I can't decide that for her, and neither can you.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
I do not think abortion is immoral

1. Parents who are not prepared to have children should not have children. Those children will often suffer by having poor parenting which can negatively impact society and the individual.

2. Abortion has much to do with one's personal and spiritual beliefs. Many faiths do not believe life starts at conception therefore these people do not see abortion as killing a child. So claims that it is "murder" is entirely dependent on one's religious and spiritual beliefs. Thus far, there is no medical evidence conclusively proving that a fetus is conscious and self aware.

3. I think it is more immoral to raise a child when one is not prepared to do so and subject them to a difficult life or even subject them to foster parenting throughout their life.

Not only do I think abortion is not immoral. I think having children when one is not ready is immoral.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,543,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
ah! but it is.

Its not your body. Not your life.

It is not my body? Precisely whose body is it?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Can you be moral if you support abortion?

Yes. Supporting choice or having an abortion is not immoral. Period.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I do not think abortion is immoral

1. Parents who are not prepared to have children should not have children. Those children will often suffer by having poor parenting which can negatively impact society and the individual.

2. Abortion has much to do with one's personal and spiritual beliefs. Many faiths do not believe life starts at conception therefore these people do not see abortion as killing a child. So claims that it is "murder" is entirely dependent on one's religious and spiritual beliefs. Thus far, there is no medical evidence conclusively proving that a fetus is conscious and self aware.

3. I think it is more immoral to raise a child when one is not prepared to do so and subject them to a difficult life or even subject them to foster parenting throughout their life.

Not only do I think abortion is not immoral. I think having children when one is not ready is immoral.
And that is what the posters making hysterical accusations will never understand.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
And that is what the posters making hysterical accusations will never understand.
Religious extremists are a real problem in the world. Evangelicals are just the Christian version of the Taliban. Like the Taliban, they want to impose their beliefs on the rest of society. To me, there is a difference between Christians and Evangelicals. They are not the same. I love Christians but Evangelicals like all religious extremists of any faith are a pain in the a$#

Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,000 times
The moral thing to do is NOT produce children you can't raise to be productive citizens, and pay for without taxpayer subsidy (at least in excess of the standard subsidies for education, health insurance subsidies for large families, etc.). It is incredibly immoral for women to have babies they can't afford, since our government steals from responsible working people to pay for them--thus encouraging the cycle.

If we didn't have Organized Religion preaching that a single fertilized cell is exactly the same as a full-fledged human woman (and adult women were nothing more than incubators, after achieving their maximum value as zygotes), nobody would come up with such a ridiculous idea. Men, of course, control most organized religion with an eye to wealth and power, and they are more than cognizant of the fact that their future cash flow is assured when worshipers indoctrinate their children.

Ending an unwanted pregnancy before the pregnancy is advanced really has nothing to do with morality. Nobody is killing "babies," a clump of cells is not a human being no matter how much organized religions wish to maximize their customer base. Not every "potential person" needs to develop into a real person--especially considering there are infinite numbers of them. Our nation is so incredibly overpopulated, and still growing, that we need to add at least 2 million jobs a year just to keep up with population growth. Instead, our economy continues to shed jobs, with 2.7 million jobs lost just so far under Obama. Anderson Cooper 360: Blog Archive - Jobs and Population: Keeping up with America's population growth « - CNN.com Blogs.

Imagine an America where poor people weren't paid by the government to produce more poor people. Imagine you as a worker didn't have to compete with 200 other overqualified people for every low-paying job, and where you as an employee could expect sane working hours, lots of vacation time, good benefits, and retirement before your health and energy is totally destroyed. Imagine decent housing affordable to everyone, and not just the rich who can afford increasingly-scarce land. Imagine nature and wildlife returning, instead of a landscape of high-density housing units packed together with no privacy, lots of crime, and endless traffic jams. That's what America would be, without the countless adverse effects from continuing overpopulation.

Let's keep in mind that "different sources claim that anywhere from 10 to 75% of conceptions end in miscarriage...the 75% number is speculated on the number of fertilized eggs that may pass through the woman's body without implanting." When Do Most Miscarriages Happen - Risks of Pregnancy Loss by Trimester Do adult women have a funeral every month simply because there is a possibility that an egg was fertilized and might have become a human being, if everything fell in place perfectly? Of course not. If it made sense that those "souls" were being cruelly destroyed, then many people would feel compelled to do so.

There is a choice to be made between QUALITY of life and QUANTITY of life, and it's time we stopped trying to maximize the latter at the expense of the former.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:53 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
So those who are severely developmentally disabled, say, should be killed as well? Because, you know, they are incapable of making a choice on their own.
And old senile people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies