Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2011, 04:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your second paragraph is excellent.
While I do appreciate the compliment I wish you'd recognize the first paragraphs question remaining unanswered is the work adults (we the people) have willfully neglected. We need to confront it rationally. It's something of a free license we've issued to nefarious forces dictating our foreign policy because 'it's someone else's job'. It's all our job to mind the path of our nation even if we ourselves are not at the helm directly.

You may not care for much republicans or libertarians and it's unfortunate they've given you cause, but it's very hard to ignore the wisdom and observations coming from Ron Pauls mouth. He's correct about a good deal many things on this subject and we as a nation need to define the terms & conditions of war in our own minds before we elect officials to do as they see fit with a national resource that is precious. Namely, every one of my brothers and sisters in arms committed to our collective well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I did, and still do fault that trash. The US Constitution protects the people's right to PEACEFULLY protest. Not riot, destroy property, set off bombs, or libel and slander others, which is precisely what that scum did.

What Dr. King did during his marches all over the south is exactly what the framers of the First Amendment had in mind, a PEACEFUL protest. Contrast that with the violent actions of the anti-American left.
Your brush is so broad you've painted 80% of this nation as 'anti- American left' to justify defending totalitarian tumors in your own mind. Resorting to these tactics you're no different than nation of islam pushing their agenda every time you speak in a tone that declares war on American citizens.

As we speak the entire right side of the aisle is leaning on platforms 'against' something. It's identity is missing because it isn't 'for' anything at all. Get well soon. We need sensible shoes in DC. Not more 'war on' mongering LBJ treatment. Too many republicans are crowded onto the democrat ticket and they're losing their welcome for good reason when corporate tripe is installed in the R seats.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I was draft age at the time. I think your use of most is highly inaccurate. Some of the population had an animosity towards soldiers, whether fighting in Vietnam or riding a bus across town. I take those people to be the same as, or of the same mindset as... well, what today we call liberals, or democrats. They opposed the war then, they oppose the war today. Code Pink comes to mind. Harvard and the ROTC.

It wasn't most who opposed Vietnam. Just the more vocal. Or as I actually view them, obnoxious.
I've recently reviewed congressional testimony of 2002. Seated Republicans at the time Iraq/ Afghanistan question of war became heated up were getting mail from constituents heavily opposed to the war. They overrode the wishes of constituents in deference to party loyalty or for real reasons presented in closed door sessions? Have those real reasons every been divulged publicly? No, they have not, and that vow of silence should be broken if we are to all be on the same page as a nation.

I think it best people drop this dem/ repub labeling. I'm guilty of remaining silent out of 'loyalty' to a protocol system that I myself had to uphold during my tour of duty. I presumed those classified files they referenced actually had meat and potatoes content. Clearly it did not. IMO (judgment of myself) I fell into the same trap as Colin Powell. The difference being he had access to a bigger picture and I did not. I'm certain an even grander picture exists beyond the jurisdictional bounds of office to which most governance & our very military is rendered less than effectual. The open ended license of transnational corporations are a double edged sword that can and will be used against humanity.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:37 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1974 View Post
I wasnt born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I have been reading that most of the population back in the states had hatred for the soldiers over there fighting, just wondering why that was? Im assuming because the people were getting tired of hearing about the war and took it out on those that decided to serve in it? Well, if this is true, then we are approaching that same sentiment again, it wont be to long before people get tired of hearing about the two wars we are in now, and possibly getting ready to start another one? People will first take it out on the elected to office in washington, then after awhile, they begin to have hatred for the troops who decide to serve. It may not seem that way with all the support our troops signs we see all over, but I believe what happened in vietnam will happen again once people get sick of hearing about it.
This is an unpopular view, but one I totally agree with . . . there is a saying, "What if they gave a war and nobody came." Soldiers support war. Pacifists are not for war . . . it is congruent for pacifists not to support soldiers because soldiers support war.

The Viet Nam war was very unpopular with the public and people took to the street in protest. People actually had the courage of their convictions in those days - unlike now when lazy, spoiled college students who SHOULD be protesting are just partying and driving around in Daddy's car . . .

But I digress . . . it became unpopular, as in "Anti-American" not to support soldiers . . . this country is NOTHING like it was in the 60's when people actually cared about issues and made their voices heard.

The Viet Nam vets came home to nothing because people did not respect that they went to fight a war that the people did not want. And they were very bitter about that, as in the past (WWII), soldiers were well-thought of . . .because they were seen as defending the country and the interests of the country - but Viet Nam was a no-win situation, much like the current wars we are in.

I wish I knew why young people, specifically college kids are so apathetic. It is totally WRONG to allow our country to be such a meddling war-mongering, out-of-control bully of the world.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:32 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
This is an unpopular view, but one I totally agree with . . . there is a saying, "What if they gave a war and nobody came." Soldiers support war. Pacifists are not for war . . . it is congruent for pacifists not to support soldiers because soldiers support war.

The Viet Nam war was very unpopular with the public and people took to the street in protest. People actually had the courage of their convictions in those days - unlike now when lazy, spoiled college students who SHOULD be protesting are just partying and driving around in Daddy's car . . .

But I digress . . . it became unpopular, as in "Anti-American" not to support soldiers . . . this country is NOTHING like it was in the 60's when people actually cared about issues and made their voices heard.

The Viet Nam vets came home to nothing because people did not respect that they went to fight a war that the people did not want. And they were very bitter about that, as in the past (WWII), soldiers were well-thought of . . .because they were seen as defending the country and the interests of the country - but Viet Nam was a no-win situation, much like the current wars we are in.

I wish I knew why young people, specifically college kids are so apathetic. It is totally WRONG to allow our country to be such a meddling war-mongering, out-of-control bully of the world.
Hey this is America you should free to stand outside a US military installation with a sign encourageing the personal not to get on the plan.....Let us know how it works out for you.....

Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,867,543 times
Never forget Hanoi Jane.

Traitor Jane Fonda

Old 03-18-2011, 07:48 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Never forget Hanoi Jane.

Traitor Jane Fonda
She, like millions of others, then and now, did the right thing, but for the wrong reason.

A positive times a negative equals a negative.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
History is not limited to Vietnam or current involvement in Afghanistan.

I'd like to point out an alternative behavior pacifists took to indirectly support WW2. The 'victory garden' they planted made sure our national resources were going to the troops and less need for social programs. They did their best to attend to those social needs at home. Poverty levels on main street USA were their reality. Google some history about the rationing (butter stamps, fuel stamps, no pantyhose because those raw materials were needed for parachutes) to see my meaning. Common phrase of frugality was "Hey pal, don't you know there's a war on?". Ordinary folks scraped pennies together to buy war bonds, not just the wealthy. It was an all hands effort right down to Rosie the Riveter.

They did not protest WW2 because they came to see it's necessity clearly despite their personal/ religious distaste for armed conflict. This book does a excellent job capturing the why behind Americans being slow to realize the menace abroad. http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/n...holocaust.html
When the news prints photos of kristallnacht and stories of atrocities begin to accrue by escapees, there's only one logical tool left in the drawer to be using. You cannot enter agreements with madness. They're operating outside the constraints of civilization. Pacifists came to understand not to stand in the way of war in that instance. An Amish schoolhouse held hostage by a madman calls the police. Necessity clearly dictates reality for all regardless of personal ideology.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:18 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
What's your point?

Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
Never forget Hanoi Jane.

Traitor Jane Fonda
Never forget she RIGHTFULLY apologized publicly without reservation in the 1988 Barbara Walters interview.

Quote:
"I would like to say something, not just to Vietnam veterans in New England, but to men who were in Vietnam, who I hurt, or whose pain I caused to deepen because of things that I said or did. I was trying to help end the killing and the war, but there were times when I was thoughtless and careless about it and I'm very sorry that I hurt them. And I want to apologize to them and their families. [...] I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft gun, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless..." ~Jane Fonda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies