Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I disagree, my dad said people spit at them and yelled "baby killer" as they got off the bus at the Amory.

Answers.com - Did people really call Vietnam veterans baby killers
No, there was no proof whatsoever that spitting occured.

But it occured a few weeks ago..

when

REPUBLICAN Rep. Michelle Bachmann advocated freezing spending for the Veterans Affairs Department and cutting spending to VETERAN'S Disability Benefits....

There's more than one way to spit on soldiers...and Bachmann did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
There was no widespread hatred of the soldiers during Vietnam. That's a bunch of bull. There wasn't even a little bit of hatred towards the soldiers. The hatred was directed towards a war that even the soldiers hated.

I don't agree. I was a young teenager and growing anti-war activist when the Vietnam War ended. I was, however, old enough to realize the insanity of what had taken place. If not hatred, there was certainly a lot of disrespect directed at the soldiers. It came from both sides. Many anti-war protesters incorrectly blamed the soldiers for a war that was waged by politicians and corporate interests. The political right, saw these soldiers as failures due to the US essentially losing the Vietnam War.

It's important to remember that the average age of a Vietnam soldier was only nineteen, and that most of them were conscriptees. The soldiers were as much victims as anyone else in that whole immoral mess.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I don't agree. I was a young teenager and growing anti-war activist when the Vietnam War ended. I was, however, old enough to realize the insanity of what had taken place. If not hatred, there was certainly a lot of disrespect directed at the soldiers. It came from both sides. Many anti-war protesters incorrectly blamed the soldiers for a war that was waged by politicians and corporate interests. The political right, saw these soldiers as failures due to the US essentially losing the Vietnam War.

It's important to remember that the average age of a Vietnam soldier was only nineteen, and that most of them were conscriptees. The soldiers were as much victims as anyone else in that whole immoral mess.
Disrespected the soldiers, how?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Link debunking my links???
Some folks have a "god" complex, they think theirs is the only opinion that matters.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Some folks have a "god" complex, they think theirs is the only opinion that matters.
That is true or, should I say "true dat"????

Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk1974 View Post
I wasnt born yet when the vietnam war was going on, but I have been reading that most of the population back in the states had hatred for the soldiers over there fighting, just wondering why that was? Im assuming because the people were getting tired of hearing about the war and took it out on those that decided to serve in it? Well, if this is true, then we are approaching that same sentiment again, it wont be to long before people get tired of hearing about the two wars we are in now, and possibly getting ready to start another one? People will first take it out on the elected to office in washington, then after awhile, they begin to have hatred for the troops who decide to serve. It may not seem that way with all the support our troops signs we see all over, but I believe what happened in vietnam will happen again once people get sick of hearing about it.
Its a pretty simple answer.......Then and now.

Liberals could careless about the military and its soldiers....actually nothing has change it that respect.

Many people back then were and still are to stupid to understand they're being used by people who hate America.
During the Vietnam war...I believe it was Time Magazines head editor in Vietnam (who was Vietnamese) was actually a communist and working for the north.
He has said many times since the war that he was never going to let a "good"story out of Vietnam.
The magazine said it never knew........BS.

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Spy-In.../dp/0060888385

Old 03-15-2011, 10:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Unlike you?

Old 03-15-2011, 10:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The war in Vietnam was considered by many to be a senseless war.

Just like almost every other war we have been in including the civil war, WW I, Korean war, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:01 AM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Unlike you?
Guilty conscience?? I never named anyone specifically.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Guilty conscience?? I never named anyone specifically.
Guilty conscience? It will be pathetic of me to give you that much credibility. But going back to it, you don't have to name people, I asked if it applied to you. After all, I would be that you excluded self from it. No? Hence the question, to confirm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies