Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 12:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I think San Francisco is coming up a lot because many troops returned home though there.

Both dead and alive.
San Francisco was far from the only west coast port call, and yet it seems that EVERY incident was there even though the whole west coast was crawling with libs.

Combine that with the fact that the right wing hates San Francisco and it's citizens anyway, and it all becomes pretty damn clear that there is an agenda at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL @ "little *******."

Okay...i'll be that. But i served too, and after i ETS'd, i didn't run around complaining about being spat on and treated badly. I just did my time, collected my paycheck and benefits, and left when my enlistment was up.

I'm not going to start inventing stories of bad treatment just so that i can make people feel sorry for me.

UC Berkeley Library Social Activism Sound Recording Project: Anti-Vietnam War Protests - San Francisco Bay Area

Here is a read on how the protests took place in the SF area.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
San Francisco was far from the only west coast port call, and yet it seems that EVERY incident was there even though the whole west coast was crawling with libs.

Combine that with the fact that the right wing hates San Francisco and it's citizens anyway, and it all becomes pretty damn clear that there is an agenda at work.
However, the only one with Berkeley near.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:25 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"little *******"?

here's a big one:

REPUBLICAN Rep. Michelle Bachmann advocated freezing spending for the Veterans Affairs Department and cutting spending to VETERAN'S Disability Benefits....
While I don't follow Bachmann very much at all or care about what she's doing I don't 100% disagree with what she proposed as long as it's done correctly. When I say that I support cutting 25% of our budget across the board I really do mean it, lots of people will be upset and people will suffer but we are BROKE and need to cut our spending drastically.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,851,320 times
Quote:
LOL @ "little *******."

Okay...i'll be that. But i served too, and after i ETS'd, i didn't run around complaining about being spat on and treated badly. I just did my time, collected my paycheck and benefits, and left when my enlistment was up.

I'm not going to start inventing stories of bad treatment just so that i can make people feel sorry for me.
Did you serve in Vietnam?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That's a good link, and i repped you for it. But still, it's too long and doesn't get to the heart of the matter.....did the protesters in S.F. single out soldiers for abuse, both verbal and physical (like spitting).

I submit that they most certainly didn't. Now of course a lot of soldiers took the protests the wrong way (as they often do today) and felt that the protesters were protesting them, which wasn't the case and i'm sure that some altercations took place because of that.

The student protesters in particular would've had much in common with soldiers since most students had draft cards and could be called on at anytime once their deferments were up. Why would they have hated the soldiers when many of their own friends were being led to slaughter in Vietnam? It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They choose to enlist in a time of war for corporate ends.
If they didn't join, they wouldn't be in harms way.

Holy moley, how many times does this have to be debunked?
Spitting on returning Vietnam vets - snopes.com
snopes.com: Spitting on Vietnam Veterans
While I do agree with this statement, I also think it's important to understand that for many, especially those from the working class, the military has been set-up by the government and the media as a legitimate career choice. Kate Bush wrote a poignant song called "Army Dreamers", in which she tells of a naive young man who enters the military, and of his mother who meets his dead body when it's returned in a box.

The military has been increasingly marketed towards the working poor. It is depicted as a way to get an education, attain job experience, and earn respect. In a truly moral society, people shouldn't have to mortgage their humanity in order to achieve basic personal success. Yet for many who are unaware of the psychological and physical horrors of war, this seems like a reasonable option.

The mainstream media has aslo sanitized the effects of war. When I was a child, I heard the daily count of deaths and injuries. I watched the news each day and saw caskets and body bags containing dead soldiers. Today we see nothing, and hear only abstract details...it's almost as if nothing is really happening.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Did you serve in Vietnam?
Oh lord no! I'm not old enough. Many of my platoon sergeants, first shirts, and battalion commanders did. My first squad leader did.

My father was drafted, but refused induction. He was later given conscientious objector status.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They choose to enlist in a time of war for corporate ends.
If they didn't join, they wouldn't be in harms way.
18 year old kids don't know that. They buy into the honor, courage and glory propaganda that's thrown at them and are essentially duped into joining for what they believe are the right reasons. Haven't you ever talked to an army salesman...I mean recruiter? I can't blame the rank-and-file who sign the dotted line.

Pro-military propaganda is everywhere in the youth market. Try playing "Call of Duty "or watch a movie like "Battle Los Angeles". It's blatant and obvious to those with a little bit more life experience, but to a kid it's a whole lot of dirty manipulation they rarely are able to see through.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I AM A BIT ANNOYED BY THE COMMENTS OF PEOPLE THAT WERE NOT THERE AND DID NOT EXPERIENCE THE WELCOME BACK!

When you have walked the walk, you can talk the talk. We were treated like lepers by some and dangerous animals by others. Fortunately I found somebody that could love me. More fortunately she is still with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies