Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 10:31 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No deflection, a reality check before getting onto the discussion. Unless being short sighted whiner is a prerequisite to participate in this thread. Let me know, and I will gladly get out of here, or retry.
what you have posted has not refuted my point at all, the president is misleading the people, and 19-freeking-70 has nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
what you have posted has not refuted my point at all, the president is misleading the people, and 19-freeking-70 has nothing to do with it.
Clearly, you didn't get my last post either. Yes, I haven't refuted your points (yet) because I'm looking for a baseline before getting to it. So now, if you want to discuss your points, answer my question.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:43 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
You are just a tad off in your numbers - there are over 3,800 active platforms in the Gulf.

File:Gulf Coast Platforms.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Again the oil drilling industry has nobody to blame but themselves. They make BILLIONS of dollars a year yet skimp on safety and amazingly HAD NO CONTINGENCY PLAN IN PLACE IN THE EVENT OF RIG ACCIDENT LIKE THE DEEP WATER HORIZON.

If the oil drilling industry was REALLY consciencious about oil drilling safety the industry would have come together as a group and put a plan in place for an underground blowout like we had in the Gulf of Mexcio last summer. Instead we had engineers literally pulling plans out of their *sses to cap the well.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yada, yada, yada...

Now whose telling fairy tales? Try, 134 billion that's more than a few zeros short of a trillion.

Ah... how do you discover large deposits? BY DRILLING!!! In other words the permitting process happens before the lease is let.

When you can't get your first two points even vaguely right...
Shale oil is in the hundreds of billions alone.

http://www.fossil.energy.gov/program.../40010-373.pdf

Read the summary portion.

It all depends on what techniques they develop to extract the oil.

About Oil Shale

While oil shale is found in many places worldwide, by far the largest deposits in the world are found in the United States in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.2 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable; however, even a moderate estimate of 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from oil shale in the Green River Formation is three times greater than the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia. Present U.S. demand for petroleum products is about 20 million barrels per day. If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, the estimated 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from the Green River Formation would last for more than 400 years

Old 03-15-2011, 10:44 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
"We can't escape the fact that we control only 2% of the world's oil."
We have a lot more than 2% of the world’s oil, but we are only extracting a mere fraction of all the oil we have. We have about one trillion barrels of oil, it's in places like Alaska, off shore, and locked up in the shale of Wyoming, Utah, and Colorado.
The US has about 2% of the world's proven oil reserves. Yes, you can add in unproven and as yet uneconomic reserves but then you also have to do that for all other countries - so the US portion remains at about 2%.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Again the oil drilling industry has nobody to blame but themselves. They make BILLIONS of dollars a year yet skimp on safety and amazingly HAD NO CONTINGENCY PLAN IN PLACE IN THE EVENT OF RIG ACCIDENT LIKE THE DEEP WATER HORIZON.

If the oil drilling industry was REALLY consciencious about oil drilling safety the industry would have come together as a group and put a plan in place for an underground blowout like we had in the Gulf of Mexcio last summer. Instead we had engineers literally pulling plans out of their *sses to cap the well.
You need federal regulators who actual do their jobs too, because businesses are not above gambling that a disaster won't strike them.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:47 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It all depends on what techniques they develop to extract the oil.
And that is the reality... we're still stuck on developing technology, while you're blaming the President for it. Shale extraction is not new news, just an expensive proposition on many levels.
Quote:
If oil shale could be used to meet a quarter of that demand, the estimated 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from the Green River Formation would last for more than 400 years
I highly recommend you to question that math. Don't believe everything you read.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The US has about 2% of the world's proven oil reserves. Yes, you can add in unproven and as yet uneconomic reserves but then you also have to do that for all other countries - so the US portion remains at about 2%.
He plays with words, "we control" only means the oil the gov't is allowing us to extract, not how much we actually have in the ground. We don't control vast amounts of off shore oil either, because 0bama and the dems refuse to allow us to control/drill for it.

Last edited by Wapasha; 03-15-2011 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 10:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
RIGZONE - Oil & Gas Directory - Magazines & Journals

Any oil question you have can be answered on this link.

This is more toward the current thread.

http://www.rigzone.com/data/advanced_search.asp

Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And that is the reality... we're still stuck on developing technology, while you're blaming the President for it. Shale extraction is not new news, just an expensive proposition on many levels.
[i]
I highly recommend you to question that math. Don't believe everything you read.
Stop inferring what I am saying, I am not "blaming the President for" not developing the technology, I blame him for misleading the people by excluding the massive amounts of shale oil we could extract. Shale oil should be a part of his WTF plan, at least as much as developing improved technologies in solar panels and battery storage.

I was not endorsing their conclusions to 400 years worth of oil, but even that government document I linked to in a previous post stated we need government and private sector cooperation to develop a way to properly extract it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies