Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:26 AM

39,809 posts, read 26,403,608 times

Advertisements

The GOP there is starting to act as childishly as the Dems did when they ran away. Pick up the pieces, start acting like adults and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Default Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Care to inform us just how they are in contempt?

And before you try, no, the Republicans saying that they are in contempt doesn't make them in contempt
Until they answer to a Senate Roll Call, and I believe the next Senate Roll call is scheduled for April 5th.

Since they failed to answer the LAST Senate roll call, I believe that their own rules, based on a a vote that placed them in contempt was in fact legal, and as long as they are considered in contempt, they cannot perform any of their functions and/or duties as an elected official.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I guess the great private sector class doesn't use public services. The tea party will pay for this. You will see.
It is the private sector that PAYS for the public sector..
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
The tea party is about enslavement of the working class for the rich that think like the koch brothers. The 14 Dem's are trying to fight back for the workers against the tea party. Trying to stop them from enslaving the people.
Thats rich.. Thats almost worthy of commedy club material.. Let me ask you.. is your profession stand up commedian?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Default Absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Well, I hope Wisconsin stops collecting state taxes until this matter is settled.

No taxation without representation.

If the people will not be represented, they should pay no taxes.
As while they aren't being represented, I agree, they should pay no taxes, and they should not receive any of the benefits of a tax paying citizen.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,808,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are right.. just because Republicans say they are in contempt doesnt make it so.. But the ELECTED officials who voted on them being in contempt actually does.. The fact that no Democrats were present to vote against the contempt isnt the fault of the Republican members who were there..
That's true. But now that they are there, to not allow them to vote on legislative matters disenfranchises the people who elected the Democratic senators to represent them. Fitzgerald is overreaching his authority by excluding these senators and preventing them from doing what they were elected to do.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Tough noogies, too bad. They didn't want to be a part of the democratic process for weeks, now all of a sudden they feel like they should actually represent their constituents and earn the salaries they get paid?

Someone needs to inform these POS that there are consequences for their actions; if I lived in WI I would do everything I could to permanently ban them from office. They are garbage.
While that may be satisfying to you, the reality is that the Democratic senators aren't the ones being punished, their constituents are. And that's an injustice.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 AM

Default Takeover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You mean the residents have a huge problem with a political party engaged in hostile takeover? The constitution is toilet paper?
I guess you could say they have taken over.... Taken over the responsibilities of the dirtbags who ran away rather than perform their jobs as elected officials..

Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What part of the Constitution is being violated here? Can you stop with the nonsense and engage in a civil discussion using YOUR thoughts, not the left wing talking point nonsense?
I think the Constitution of Wisconsin is being violated here. I don't believe there is any provision in that Constitution that allows one political party to stop the elected representatives who are members of an opposing party from being part of the legislative process.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That's true. But now that they are there, to not allow them to vote on legislative matters disenfranchises the people who elected the Democratic senators to represent them.
They arent there until the next roll call... Unless of course you would rather they be arrested on a bech warrant which would probably be illegal and would deem anything voted on as null and void... Is that what you prefer?

The fact that the people elected the Democratic senators to represent them is meaningless to the topic.. You cant force people to represent you if they dont wish to.. For example.. if we all elect Mickey Mouse to represent us, does this mean Mickey Mouse can appear and actually represent us? We are a nation of laws, and laws need to be followed. In order to elect someone, that someone must actually want the job... We cant arrest people after we elect them for not doing the job they were elected to do.. Is that what you would prefer?
Quote:
Fitzgerald is overreaching his authority by excluding these senators and preventing them from doing what they were elected to do.
No one preferented them from doign the job they were elected to do but themself. All actions have consequences, and you just cant ignore the law because you wish to. Would you rather someone come along and sue to have all votes thrown out because rules werent followed?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I think the Constitution of Wisconsin is being violated here. I don't believe there is any provision in that Constitution that allows one political party to stop the elected representatives who are members of an opposing party from being part of the legislative process.
They are not being stopped from taking part in the legislative process.. Rules MUST be followed in order to make sure the votes that take place stand and can not be overruled in a court of law because the votes of the elected officials werent valid because they didnt take part in roll call..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies