Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,073,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The new health "care" law is going to reduce costs.
Maybe. It didn't go far enough to tackle the biggest issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest
Only way to do that is to deny care.
Not even close to true.

The first way to control costs is to eliminate private insurers. They consume about 30 cents of every health care dollar spent in the US today... and add no value for at least half of it. That's $345 billion in savings just by moving to a single payer system.

Comprehensive tort reform would save another $230 billion by eliminating wasteful "defensive" medicine.

Right there... you have a half trillion in cost reduction without denying any care whatsoever. But of course, we do not have these savings... because blinkered right wingers like you refuse to even consider genuine health care reform.

Quote:
The government is now in charge of health "care" more than they have ever been before. They will start making these type decisions within the next few years.
This is a pure, unadulterated lie. The health care reform law does not put a single health care decision in the hands of a single government official or bureaucrat.

Sadly... it doesn't put them in the hands of doctors either. We have you guys to thank for that.

Quote:
What are you gonna do? Sue the feds for denying care? LOLs. Good luch with that.
Since the Feds will not be involved in any denial of care decisions, no. We won't be doing that.

Quote:
Unless you know of some other way they will lower costs?
Asked and answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
This is a pure, unadulterated lie. The health care reform law does not put a single health care decision in the hands of a single government official or bureaucrat.
There seems to be some dispute in regards to your statement above:

In a few moments of candor on Monday, Democratic Rep. John Conyers (MI) admitted Obamacare is just a “platform,” or a step, toward an eventual government takeover of health care:

Last edited by Greatday; 03-16-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,974,480 times
Quote:
"Costs too much money. Let the patient die. SPoken like a true government official.

Sounds like you should be the new "Death Panel" czar. Seriously. You should.

Now all we need to do is get about 40% of the population to agree with you and the politicians can say stuff like you just did openly. And people can start dying.
Spoken like an adult. Reasonable patient rationing policies are accepted the World over in the most advanced countries. Countries that treat their kids, elderly, and sick, far better than they do here.

Your absurd, religious whacko demands to spend probably well over a Million Dollars on one terminally ill baby would rightly be laughed at and ridiculed.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Maybe. It didn't go far enough to tackle the biggest issues.

Not even close to true.

The first way to control costs is to eliminate private insurers. They consume about 30 cents of every health care dollar spent in the US today... and add no value for at least half of it. That's $345 billion in savings just by moving to a single payer system.

Comprehensive tort reform would save another $230 billion by eliminating wasteful "defensive" medicine.

Right there... you have a half trillion in cost reduction without denying any care whatsoever. But of course, we do not have these savings... because blinkered right wingers like you refuse to even consider genuine health care reform.

Sadly... it doesn't put them in the hands of doctors either. We have you guys to thank for that.

Since the Feds will not be involved in any denial of care decisions, no. We won't be doing that.

Asked and answered.
I'm not a right-winger.

Obamacare does nothing to reduce costs. Nothing. Ever heard of the $600 government hammer. Get ready for the $800 Bed Pan.

All a single-payer would do is take the place of insurance companies. Wouldn't make it any cheaper. Just reallocating resources.

Government has been making health care decisions for decades. They decide how many kids go to med school each year. They tell insurance companies what they must cover and where they can operate. They tell employers they must cover employees. They approve procedures, equipment and drugs. They lisence doctors, nurses etc..We have had a government run system for years sprinkled in with a little capitalism.

It's really quite simple. Medical costs will explode under Obamacare. The feds will have to do something to reduce costs. That means death panels. Though it won't be called that. It doesn't mean that was Obama's intent. It means that will be the result.

It's pathetic that you blame republicans. Democrats passed Obamacare without any republican support. None. They could have put anything in there that they wanted to. Anything. And republicans couldn't stop it. But you try and blame republicans for democrats failures. LOLs. Pathetic. Pathetic indeed. Anyway the debate wasn't really over health care as it stands today. It was a debate on how much more power the government was going to have. The Rs wanted a little less power than the Ds. That all it was about.

If right-wingers are as evil as people on the left say then why give them all this power? I mean one day Republicans will be in charge of the White House again. Aren't you afraid they will use Obamacare to deny rights to minorities and poor people and academics and union members etc.....

Old 03-16-2011, 05:29 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Spoken like an adult. Reasonable patient rationing policies are accepted the World over in the most advanced countries. Countries that treat their kids, elderly, and sick, far better than they do here.

Your absurd, religious whacko demands to spend probably well over a Million Dollars on one terminally ill baby would rightly be laughed at and ridiculed.
But under government run systems there is no rationing. That what dems have been screaming for years. It is only evil insurance companies that deny care.

By the way, I'm not what you would call religious. Nor do I have any demands about this kid. It's not my kid. It's not my money. It's not my business.

You have proved my point though. Can't spend too much money on one patient. Let him die.

That will be the result of Obamcare. Book it.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
But under government run systems there is no rationing. That what dems have been screaming for year. It is only evil insurance companies that deny care.

By the way, I'm not what you would call religious. Nor do I have any demands about this kid. It's not my kid. It's not my money. It's not my business.

You have proved my point though. Can't spend too much money on one patient. Let him die.

That will be the result of Obamcare. Book it.
Nope. That's just in your head. No Dem told you that.

Now we did tell you there is no new patient rationing here with the new bill but the new bill is not government run health care.

See your ignorance of the health care bill leads you to think all sorts absurd things about it.

And once again, drama queen, this baby has no chance at recovery. If he did, then spending over a Million would be justified.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:27 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The kid is 13 months old. He hasn't lived nearly long enough. If he were my kid, I'd keep him hooked up to life support for decades, hoping they develop a cure for his condition. Euthanasia is evil. Any kind of life is better than death. There is nothing worse than dying . . . nothing. I'd be willing to go to heroic lengths to save a life, especially a child. No one should have to experience the horrors of death, especially not a small child.
This child deserves not to suffer unnecessarily, to enjoy what little of life he got.

We're all going to die, no matter how much you fear it. It's not possible to put the kid in a cryogenic freeze waiting for medical technology to advance (particular since the age of medical advancement is long over, now.) The world doesn't have anything to do with what "should" be--it is the way it is. As humans, we must deal with reality and make the choices that minimize suffering and maximize quality of life, even if that means parting with a loved one before nature would make that choice.

There is plenty of pain worse than death, and only the promise that it will end soon makes it worth enduring. But consider if you were burning alive: wouldn't you put a gun to your head and end the agony, instead of suffering pain beyond bearing for 10 minutes or more, which would last about 10 eternities? Many cancers cause similar pain, and under-treatment of pain continues to be endemic as our power-mad government pursues the unwinnable "War on Drugs."

"there are approximately 76 million people struggling with Chronic Pain....If patriotic soldiers who have sacrificed themselves for the defense of their country do not receive adequate pain treatment for combat related injuries, what chance does the rest of the population have of getting pain relieving treatment...The societal enforcer of opioid-phobia is the DEA...Much of the problem lies with the powerful committees and sub-committees in Washington, D.C., playing to the cameras for their own selfish gain." Chronic Pain Nightmare: Undertreatment of Pain: A National Disgrace

With the coming retirement of the Baby Boom and problems associated with aging, the costs of under-treated and untreated chronic pain in the US will continue to explode from the current estimate of at least $174 billion, to unknown levels. http://acscan.org/pdf/healthcare/rep...whitepaper.pdf

Despite putting my father under hospice care to ensure adequate pain treatment when he had terminal cancer, he suffered needlessly on many occasions thanks to nurses and other nursing home staff stealing his pain medication--which is directly caused by the "War on Drugs" making pain medication both virtually impossible to get, and insanely expensive on the Black Market.

Just because organized religion makes all its mandates to increase the number of people giving it money, as well as the time they are alive to giving it money, doesn't mean thinking people have to abandon sense and obey like mindless robots. No benevolent God would require pointless suffering, though organized religion has no problem doing so.

Strange how some people have much more love and mercy for beloved pets, which they will have euthanized when they have no hope of a decent, pain-free life anymore. It's a painful decision but the right one, and few would argue that a pet in terminal pain should be kept alive because his master is too weak-willed to take responsibility for the pet's passing.

Since parents should love their children more than their dogs, it is truly sad that these parents choose to prolong the suffering of their child because they never emotionally matured themselves.

Most people who face a terminal illness, or even impending old age, will chose to file Living Wills and Health Care Advance Directives that attempt to stop weak-willed family members from condemning them to prolonged, useless torture. It is up to everyone to protect the patient's wishes and not supercede them when push comes to shove, since health care professionals will ignore advance directives if the family members insist.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:32 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
'Baby Joseph' to Undergo Surgery for Portable Breathing Tube at U.S. Hospital - FoxNews.com

Old 03-16-2011, 06:34 PM

"Baby Joseph" ........another "Terry Schiavo" wingers can get all hysterical about and pretend how kind they are.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,366,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I honestly wish Obama's healthcare plan would provide us the same quality that Canada's have.
If this is an example I think I'll pass.

One thing that seems to be lacking for these parents is freedom of choice. Where is it? Perhaps many of us would not choose the tracheotomy if it was our child, but because we wouldn't they shouldn't be allowed to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies