Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:32 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And just think, obamacare will give us the same healthcare system as the Canadians have..

Can't 'ya just wait?

I wonder then who will take the Americans that the doctors want to pull the plug on?

Mexico?

Russia?

China?

Iran?
What do you think insurance companies do now?
They do their best to NOT help the patient. They hire attorneys and have clerks making decisions about care.

Are you really that blind or is this all willful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 01:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
If the toddler is indeed terminally ill with zero chance of surviving without the aid of constant machinery... it'd be the worst decision a parent could make, but the right one would be to let the child die in peace instead of dragging out the pain, agony, and suffering of the child, the parents, family, friends, and even the hospital staff who have take care of the child in such a state.

The reasoning the parents gave is twofold:

1. Removing the tube would result in suffocation, therefore causing the child to suffer

2. They want to keep him alive for a longer period of time.

I would remove the tube, rather than extend his life. The hospital could administer morphine to ease his suffering.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:36 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
Hmmm. That's sad. I realize the parents don't want to have to see the kid die through suffocation, but I still don't think they are doing him any favor by dragging out his life a few months. This is an example of a case where euthanasia should be an option to prevent suffering.
The kid is 13 months old. He hasn't lived nearly long enough. If he were my kid, I'd keep him hooked up to life support for decades, hoping they develop a cure for his condition.

Euthanasia is evil. Any kind of life is better than death. There is nothing worse than dying . . . nothing. I'd be willing to go to heroic lengths to save a life, especially a child. No one should have to experience the horrors of death, especially not a small child.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
The reasoning the parents gave is twofold:

1. Removing the tube would result in suffocation, therefore causing the child to suffer

2. They want to keep him alive for a longer period of time.

I would remove the tube, rather than extend his life. The hospital could administer morphine to ease his suffering.
Honestly, if they're going to end the life by removing the tube, they could do so by administering some sort of medication that would kill him soundlessly and quickly.

Of course, this can't happen, because we can't have assisted suicides in this country, even if the person's going to die anyways.

"Moral legislation" at its best, it seems.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The kid is 13 months old. He hasn't lived nearly long enough. If he was my kid, I'd keep him hooked up to life support for decades, hoping they develop a cure for his condition.

Euthanasia is evil. Any kind of life is better than death. There is nothing worse than dying . . . nothing. I'd be willing to go to heroic lengths to save a life, even a child. No one should have to experience the horrors of death, especially not a small child.

And he is terminally ill and deteriorating.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:39 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
The kid is 13 months old. He hasn't lived nearly long enough. If he was my kid, I'd keep him hooked up to life support for decades, hoping they develop a cure for his condition.

Euthanasia is evil. Any kind of life is better than death. There is nothing worse than dying . . . nothing. I'd be willing to go to heroic lengths to save a life, even a child. No one should have to experience the horrors of death, especially not a small child.
And who would pay this bill???

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
And he is terminally ill and deteriorating.
I don't care. Keep him hooked up. I believe in God, and He can perform miracles.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:40 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,043,339 times
Quote:

Euthanasia is evil. Any kind of life is better than death. There is nothing worse than dying . . . nothing. I'd be willing to go to heroic lengths to save a life, especially a child. No one should have to experience the horrors of death, especially not a small child.
See, here's the thing.

The only thing keeping him alive is a tube.

There is nothing else.

There IS no hope for the kid.

It's painful, but the kid's dying, and the parents need to let go. I'd like to say I'd do the same if my child was dying with no hope of recovery.

Euthanasia is NOT evil, it's MERCIFUL. If I was dying, I'd rather go my own way.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And who would pay this bill???
I can't believe money is even a consideration. One human life is far more important than all the cash in the world.

Personally, I think the taxpayer should pay the bill.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
I asked what would you do? Not what Obamacare would do. If you had read the article, the parents moved the child here because a court in Canada said the doctors could remove a breathing tube. The child is terminally ill, and the parents want to have a trach tube inserted.

Now, to answer the OP question, what would you do?
Pull the plug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies