Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Again, try reading.

I read quite well, thank you for your "concern."

Quote:
There is a whole outrage about how Obama decided to NOT DO HIS JOB to defend the law people passed.
This is part of his job, prioritizing DOJ work.

Quote:
He really isn't there to pick and choose what he will and will not defend according to his politics.
In this context, he can. It's perfectly legal and not unusual at all.

Quote:
He left himself open for IMPEACHMENT.
No, he didn't. He's still enforcing the law.

Quote:
Congress seeing Obama dropped the ball due to political reasons did in fact decide to sent someone themselves to defend the law in court.
Due to legal reasons also. The law is clearly unconstitutional. It's only a matter of time that it is overturned.

If Congress wants to waste time and money chasing this windmill, then they can. But Obama has done nothing wrong, illegal or inappropriate in not allocating resources to this fool's errand.

Notwithstanding what Newt says, which is just plain silly.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:24 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
There is no such thing as "gay marriage" because marriage was defined for centuries as being between a man and a woman. I don't care what you people do in private but I will not let you pervert and demean the meaning of the word "marriage."
Well, that's the gist of it, but they NEED to usurp marriage in order to convince people gay marriage is "normal" and acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
No, it's not his duty to pay to defend it if he believes it is unconstitutional.

No, he doesn't. He doesn't get to decide what laws are unconstitutional - that is nowhere near his role as the executive.

You have already been proven wrong on this issue on multiple threads.

Wrong again, still. Where? You can keep on wishing it true..doesn't make it true.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
And are you going to lead that backlash? Seems to me you're priming yourself for the lead role in the wave of hate you want to see arrive at our shores. I'll bet you already discriminate against gays now so you're threat to do so in the future is kind of weak. I think you've overestimated the numbers on your side, too. There will be no backlash because the majority of people in this country support the right of two gay people to marry. There is no logical or measurable reason to oppose something that doesn't impact you one bit.
Um...you want to back this up with some proof, because you know, in EVERY state where gay marriage has been on the ballot, it has been voted down by the public. Every state. It takes liberal judicial activism enacted laws (which is NOT their purview) to get it passed.

So far, the radical gays are 0-31 when gay marriage is put up to a VOTE.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Well, that's the gist of it, but they NEED to usurp marriage in order to convince people gay marriage is "normal" and acceptable.
I don't think they care about convincing the likes of you.

They do care about being treated equally under the law, a core American value.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-16-2011 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

No, he doesn't. He doesn't get to decide what laws are unconstitutional - that is nowhere near his role as the executive.
And he hasn't. That's the province of the courts. But it is his prerogative to prioritize work in the DOJ, which is all he is really doing.

Quote:
Wrong again, still. Where? You can keep on wishing it true..doesn't make it true.

I am not responsible for your inability to understand basic American civics.

DOJ is executive branch.,

End of debate.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Um...you want to back this up with some proof, because you know, in EVERY state where gay marriage has been on the ballot, it has been voted down by the public. Every state. It takes liberal judicial activism enacted laws (which is NOT their purview) to get it passed.

So far, the radical gays are 0-31 when gay marriage is put up to a VOTE.
Civil rights are not the subject of majority opinion under our system of government.

The one you seem to have so very little understanding of.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:00 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Again, try reading. There is a whole outrage about how Obama decided to NOT DO HIS JOB to defend the law people passed.
He really isn't there to pick and choose what he will and will not defend according to his politics. He left himself open for IMPEACHMENT.
"Left himself open to impeachment" ... what does that mean???

Do you think President Obama is going to be impeached over this, yes or no?!

I do not not think any attempt is going to be made to impeach Pres. Obama over DOMA.

Would anyone out there take me up on a friendly wager? I have a few thousand I can risk for a friendly wager.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:13 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
There is no such thing as "gay marriage" because marriage was defined for centuries as being between a man and a woman. I don't care what you people do in private but I will not let you pervert and demean the meaning of the word "marriage."

ROFL ..... I never knew you ruled the world>>>>>

Same-sex marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civil union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hundreds of millions of people in scores of countries would call you out on your post.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
I've noticed that most Republican posters have skirted away from the thread's intent. Apparently it is OK to use taxpayer monies to push a Right wing social agenda upon the nation.....while we are trying to close a budget deficit. I just wanted to clear that up.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
In a country that celebrates freedom and liberty for all, the official position should be this: If you don't like same-sex marriage, then don't marry someone of the same sex.

Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies