Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I love the USA, but I cannot stand the goverment, and wish the goverment would go back to the ways of our founding fathers and be a limited goverment, and not a nanny/police state.
Yes, back to the ways of our founding fathers, when slavery was the law of the land, Natives were being slaughtered and their land taken, Asians were not allowed in at all (unless they were building railroads), and women had no vote whatsoever. Oh yes, those were the days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 10:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
No country is perfect, but only those who are naive, or ignorant of the rest of the world will denigrate America.

I've lived in several countries and know that the US for all its shortcomings, is still the best. We don't have to build walls to keep people in. That should tell you something.
You realize that words like 'best' are subjective, right?

The US might be 'best' for one person but not another.

Which countries have you been in that have walls to keep people in?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Which countries have you been in that have walls to keep people in?
Never heard of any?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:12 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractured_kidult View Post
Seriously? Hate is not speech. I only agree with free speech when it is well informed and has a point."""

Then you do NOT believe in free speech.

""" Bashing your homeland is not right. If you don't like something move away from it or dont do it.

I have nothing against people who want to express their free speech. However, certain things should not be allowed in a public forum. If you want to speak about something, instead of looking like an idiot on the street with a sign or bull horn, you bring it into an organized fashion with a conference or lecture?
You have no idea how this country was formed...it wasn't pretty, it wasn't organized, it wasn't polite....but it was effective.

""""If you don't like something move away from it or dont do it. """"

Sounds quite cowardly and I'm glad the Americans of the 18th century didn't feel as you do or we, and YOU, would have no country.

PS: It costs a lot of money to move to another country....send me a large check(6 figures) and I'll go.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- there is no other nation on this planet that has as many immigrants pouring into it as the USA. In fact people would rather come to the USA than fix their own countries up, bring down dictators, reform their own laws. They would rather live illegally in the USA than legally in their own countries. Millions and millions of immigrants can't be all wrong.

What's more, very few Americans leave the USA to live permanently somewhere else.
A. Other countries have immigrants pouring in.

B. Other countries have more stringent(sensible) immigration laws, less common boundaries, than the US. so they probably do have less.

C. Because immigrant's countries are bad, and they're desperate to get out, that doesn't automatically make the US good.

D. It's very costly to move to another country and that's why many Americans don't move.

E. Yes, millions of immigrants can be wrong...their lives don't automatically get better if they come here.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
I am tired of people bashing the country they live in, especially if born there. If you don't like your country... MOVE OUT! Stop abusing the system and leave. A person should have pride in their homeland. Whatever happened to that thing called national pride? A scene from Braveheart pops into mind. Honestly, why would you stay in a country you don't like?
Quote:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union,
Sorry but if you don't criticize something it will never get better. Thus it will never be a "More Perfect Union". There is nothing wrong about speaking out about the problems that exist in this country.

If you truly love America you should have no problem speaking out when you see things that are unfair, unjust and that deprive people of the life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:15 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, back to the ways of our founding fathers, when slavery was the law of the land, Natives were being slaughtered and their land taken, Asians were not allowed in at all (unless they were building railroads), and women had no vote whatsoever. Oh yes, those were the days!
Sounds like the Tea Party's game plan

Old 03-18-2011, 10:52 AM

1,780 posts, read 2,351,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
You have no idea how this country was formed...it wasn't pretty, it wasn't organized, it wasn't polite....but it was effective.

""""If you don't like something move away from it or dont do it. """"

Sounds quite cowardly and I'm glad the Americans of the 18th century didn't feel as you do or we, and YOU, would have no country.

PS: It costs a lot of money to move to another country....send me a large check(6 figures) and I'll go.
I guess my problem is that everyone is whining and doing NOTHING to fix it. If you don't like it, work your back off to change it, otherwise keep quiet or move out of the country.

You can complain about the government all you want. But, complaining about it won't get you anywhere but in the whiners club. Call be a whambulance...we got a whiner.

No body likes someone who just complains and does nothing about it. I love it when I see people who say they are liberal and all they do is complain about everything, yet they refuse to take action. My favorite is when someone says they are liberal and choose not to vote....ummmm...then keep your opinion to yourself. If you don't vote, you aren't doing anything to change the ways things are, therefor you have no voice.

Most people who complain about their country think that only politicians can make change. Yeah, and if our forefathers thought that we wouldnt be here. So, get off your lazy backsides, go outside, cast your vote, make change happen. This is the only way things will get better.

I love this country, by country I mean this land. I have pride in this land, this... is my land. I will defend it from those who seek to destroy it, foreign or domestic. I understand that a government does not make a country great, the people do. I will spill my own blood and the blood of those that wish to do my country and countrymen harm.

I will fight for this country physically and politically. To me this is patriotism.

I feel that the country you live in should be your biggest concern. If you want to make change, start in your own home, then take it to your neighborhood, from there the city, county, and state. Once your state has made change for the better, move outward. You can't change the world overnight, it takes time. Start small, make a difference where you live. Don't complain about it, fix it.

Last edited by fractured_kidult; 03-18-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-18-2011, 11:21 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:

I love this country, by country I mean this land. I have pride in this land, this... is my land. I will defend it from those who seek to destroy it, foreign or domestic. I understand that a government does not make a country great, the people do. I will spill my own blood and the blood of those that wish to do my country and countrymen harm.
What are you, some kinda Crow Indian?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:39 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,821,659 times
Quote:
I am tired of people bashing the country they live in, especially if born there. If you don't like your country... MOVE OUT! Stop abusing the system and leave. A person should have pride in their homeland. Whatever happened to that thing called national pride? A scene from Braveheart pops into mind. Honestly, why would you stay in a country you don't like?
You appear to be confused about what national pride actually means. It sounds like you think it means concealing any faults with your country and pretending they don't exist.

A country whose population refuses to acknowledge and fix problems does not have a bright future.

That would be like taking pride in your body by adding one bad habit after the other, never working our or trying to break any bad habit, and denying anything is wrong as you grow fatter and fatter.

It is actually the opposite of taking pride in your body.

The people who point out flaws with their system and work to fix them are patriots. Their country is better for having them. The people who try to conceal problems and prevent them from being addressed...that is the opposite of patriotism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies