Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,959,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
Tonight HLN had a program about WBC. What is your stance on their rhetoric? If I wrap myself on the American Flag, would I be able to go to Times Square and insult everyone under the First Amendment, and not get arrested? Just wondering.......

Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They appall me, but the first amendment is just that: freedom. I think it has been interpretted (spelling) wrong, I doubt our forefathers expected things to get out of hand, but they do have their rights. This doesn't mean they are not a gourp or should we say family of nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,627,273 times
My stance is that they're a non-Christian cult that is pretty much made up of one in-bred family led by their patriarch, Fred Phelps. I don't consider their theology to be in line with traditional, orthodox teachings, and they are about as 'Baptist' as the pope is Lutheran.

Having said that, freedom of speech is just that, and they do have the right to do so, no matter how unappealing they might be.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,602,149 times
Default What is your stance on the westboro baptist church?

Just another bunch of "religious right" loons.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:11 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,867,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Just another bunch of "religious right" loons...
who support Democrats and run as Democrats for local political office positions.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,819,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
My stance is that they're a non-Christian cult that is pretty much made up of one in-bred family led by their patriarch, Fred Phelps. I don't consider their theology to be in line with traditional, orthodox teachings, and they are about as 'Baptist' as the pope is Lutheran.

Having said that, freedom of speech is just that, and they do have the right to do so, no matter how unappealing they might be.

Exactly, but at some point "free speech" becomes assault.
Their primary objective is attention seeking, but their
secondary objective is to inflict further pain on the grieving.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:02 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,602,149 times
Talking Sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
who support Democrats and run as Democrats for local political office positions.
Not in recent years.

During the 1992 presidential campaign, Phelps protested Hillary Rodham Clinton during a campaign speech in support of the Clinton-Gore ticket at the University of Kansas on October 14, 1992. In Bill Clinton's second presidential campaign, Phelps and the Westboro church also opposed Clinton and Gore because of the administration's support for gay rights. The entire Westboro congregation picketed a 1997 inaugural ball,[40] denouncing Gore as a "famous *** pimp."[41] In 1998, Westboro picketed the funeral of Gore's father, screaming vulgarities at Gore and telling him, "your dad's in Hell."

Fred Phelps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM

910 posts, read 1,679,442 times
They are idiots, but they still have full free speech rights like everyone else

Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,627,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Exactly, but at some point "free speech" becomes assault.
Their primary objective is attention seeking, but their
secondary objective is to inflict further pain on the grieving.
Honestly? I'm not really sure those are their objectives. I think yes, they want attention. I think they also realize there is money to be made from suing over their rights being denied.

But I honestly don't know they want to just cause pain--unless it causes their rights to be denied, thus enabling them to collect more by suing.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,819,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Honestly? I'm not really sure those are their objectives. I think yes, they want attention. I think they also realize there is money to be made from suing over their rights being denied.

But I honestly don't know they want to just cause pain--unless it causes their rights to be denied, thus enabling them to collect more by suing.

Yeah, that could be it.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:38 PM

72 posts, read 193,649 times
They are the anti christ in my opinon. People talk about free speech, but what they do is pure harassment, and they are protesting at funerals that are usually a private matter. I believe they need to be stopped. Recently, the were cheering the deaths of 7 children killed in a fire in PA. They said the parents of these children were godless. It devastated the parents, and they were already in hell having to bury their kids. I don't hate much, but I do hate on this CULT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies