Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:57 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,615,065 times

Advertisements

Tonight HLN had a program about WBC. What is your stance on their rhetoric? If I wrap myself on the American Flag, would I be able to go to Times Square and insult everyone under the First Amendment, and not get arrested? Just wondering.......

Westboro Baptist Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,308,142 times
My stance on Westboro Baptist Cult is that they are disgusting, retarded, immature, self absorbed, holier than thou, megalomaniacs.

There is nothing rational, God like, or inspiring about their message.

They do have the right to protest, and I will support that until the day I die. But I also have the right to say that I hope that they reap what they sow.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,983,224 times
I would like to see their church sucked into the earth with their full congregation inside.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:14 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,563,814 times
Personally like the protest in the 60's i don't approve and think them uncivil and disgusting but say they have a right to do it as long as they don't break the law.But then agin the only portest lately I have seen that aren't is the tea Party which I do not support fully.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,581,833 times
1. I think they are the lowest type of scum.
2. I have no reason to doubt their characterization of themselves as Christians. Maybe not the kind of Christian you like or are, but they're still Christians.
3. They absolutely have the right to do what their doing, and to spread their hateful message.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM

124 posts, read 165,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
My stance on Westboro Baptist Cult is that they are disgusting, retarded, immature, self absorbed, holier than thou, megalomaniacs.

There is nothing rational, God like, or inspiring about their message.

They do have the right to protest, and I will support that until the day I die. But I also have the right to say that I hope that they reap what they sow.
Yep. Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

I agree with the recent Supreme Court ruling in favor of the WBC, though I do hate it.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,531,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. I think they are the lowest type of scum.
2. I have no reason to doubt their characterization of themselves as Christians. Maybe not the kind of Christian you like or are, but they're still Christians.
3. They absolutely have the right to do what their doing, and to spread their hateful message.
Only God knows if they are Christians. I don't know it they are but I really doubt it. The bible tells us that we can recognize Christians by their "Fruit". This fruit does not include anything that these people are doing.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:54 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,515,680 times
My opinion is that I could never justify enjoining their speech on the grounds it is hurtful, alone.

If we enjoined actions on grounds that:

(a) physical obstruction took place [it probably never has in any incident so far as I am aware],

(b) the volume level is extremely obstructionist [a blurry standard which I generally eschew, but I'll entertain it - chances are I won't agree with you because most people set the standard way too low in cases where people get their panties in a bunch about speech they find offensive], or

(c) if it involves a trespass onto private property,

... then, I might entertain the claim. But I would not legally enjoin speech because it hurts peoples feelings.... not even if they said the "meanest thing in the whole wide world" (imitating a child-like argument that should never be uttered from the mouth of any adult who sticks their nose into matters of law) which then caused somebody so much mental anguish that they blew their brains out to escape the pain.

------------

If the intent of the question was along the lines of, what do I think of them as a "people".... the answer is, for the most part, I don't. Never met them, never saw them in my life, probably never going to... they are as foreign to me as is some stranger half way across the world.... just a blip on the news making very brief mention of their existence. They are alive, they live somewhere else, and that is almost the sum total I care to think about them. Dedicating more than ten seconds of my time on any given day is more than I would like to waste thinking about them.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 03-16-2011 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-16-2011, 10:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,540,684 times
In this crazy day and age with all of the insane crimes people do to each other, I find it really hard to believe somebody hasn't just "lost it" and burned their cult church to the ground.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,224,137 times
Their doesn't appear to be anything that the Phelps family likes. Wow and to think that people would teach that God is hatefull. Amazing. My God is a loving God. He realized that we would fall short of perfection and prepaired a plan that his only Begotton Son Jesus Christ would take upon him all of our sins and allow us to return to live with him. It is my beliefe that most of us are going to be in Heaven and few will go to hell. As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, commonly called the Mormons, we believe in differant levels of Heaven. We also believe in hell or what we would call outer darkness the place that Satan lives with his followers.

I say that because of how I grew up, with a beliefe in a loving Father in Heaven that would want all of his children to return to live with him someday. It is utterly a foreign concept to think otherwise. I can sympathise with Mr. Phelps children that have left the WBC organization, especially with one son that is now an athiest. Why would anyone want to believe in a God that would send most of his children to hell?

As far as the church and their beliefs, I have no use for them. One easy way to get rid of them is to stop giving them the stage that they desire to have. Pay not attention to them and help to make the WBC a footnote in society of historical terrorist Christian views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies