Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:49 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post
This thread is why I sometimes hold Libertarians in a lower view than even Republicans...

With the "clique-ish" way people tend to act, mandatory integration is important... else integration would be very, very slow in happening, or would not happen at all.
You perhaps have this jaded and warped viewpoint because you fail to understand Libertarianism. Freedom to associate is a right that can't be taken away by the government, in fact, the government is charged with the very protection of freedom to associate in the US Constitution.

The government can't constitutionally force people to associate, and I find no where in the Constitution that mandates this forced association. Therefore, if you understood this concept in the Constitution, you might begin to understand Libertarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:56 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Nope, I stand by the justification that I said before. If the north had offered to buy the slaves, and end the practice in a responsible manner, war would have been averted.
Lincoln did come up with a plan to compensate slave owners. This appealed to smaller farmers but scared the sh-t out of the largest slaveholders who depended on cheap slave labor to remain competitive in the global cotton market.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:29 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Lincoln did come up with a plan to compensate slave owners. This appealed to smaller farmers but scared the sh-t out of the largest slaveholders who depended on cheap slave labor to remain competitive in the global cotton market.
Proof?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
That's not proof.

On July 19 the Associated Press and Reuter's reported an "amazing find" at a museum in Allentown, Pennsylvania: A copy of a letter dated March 16, 1861, and signed by Abraham Lincoln imploring the governor of Florida to rally political support for a constitutional amendment that would have legally enshrined slavery in the U.S. Constitution.
I see the problem. In fact, I see similar problems here, in people's understanding of a President that I do with President Obama. Abraham Lincoln had a priority, to save the union. He was willing to compromise and work with southerners who had chosen to secede (notice, before he took office). Perhaps we're so fine tuned into believing that a President must force through personal beliefs above everything else, that any deviation from the norm just doesn't register. Here is an example of Lincoln's personal take on the subject:

"I think slavery is wrong, morally, and politically. I desire that it should be no further spread in these United States, and I should not object if it should gradually terminate in the whole Union"
- Abraham Lincoln, Sep 17, 1859

The key to seeing his point of view and all that he tried until pushed into war with the southerners is in first sentence (his personal view) and towards the end, considering the realities that he will have to work with others to get that accomplished.

Such sentiments tell me a lot about a person.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Proof?
One such proof (http://www.sethkaller.net/images/blowups/12054-l.png - broken link).

Old 03-17-2011, 03:40 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,888,181 times
Quote:
I agree with you partly.

But ask yourself a question. Would the United States have been able to stand on its own two feet if we didn't have slavery to begin with? There were European countries that were still practicing slavery, so our economy wouldn't have stood a chance without it, at the time.

Not justifying slavery, but there was a method to the madness of the time. After we won our independence our founding fathers should have handled the issue. Instead, their lack of motivation to tackle the slavery issue lead to a crisis that eventually lead to civil war.

There were countless ways to not end up in that situation.

Slavery was a terrible thing, and its over in our country. I think we should focus more on how we move forward, instead of constantly looking back and using the laws and regulations of the past to justify the continuing of taking away freedoms from the individual. Westboro Baptist Cult has the right to stand and scream evil things while our soldiers are buried. I support their right to do that.

Its been said that to protect the freedoms that you love, you must stand to protect the freedoms that you don't love. I want the freedom to do what I want, when I want, and how I want, as long as it doesn't physically hurt anyone else. If I open a business, I don't want the federal government to tell me I have to serve someone if I don't want to serve them. Now personally I wouldn't turn anyone away from my business doors, your dollar is the same as his dollar. But I would like to have that right if I wanted it.
Good afternoon,

In our history, the Northern States (no slaves) have always had better economies than the Southern slave states. So yes, the nation could have survived without slavery.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Good afternoon,

In our history, the Northern States (no slaves) have always had better economies than the Southern slave states. So yes, the nation could have survived without slavery.
The north kept slaves when they were largely agrarian. Once they developed manufacturing they didnt need the man power

Old 03-17-2011, 05:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Or you don't understand Libertarian principles.
It has nothing to do with Libertarian principles. Anyone saying that whites WANTED to associate socially and financially with blacks any more than necessary during Jim Crow is nuts. That's an outright lie.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One such proof (http://www.sethkaller.net/images/blowups/12054-l.png - broken link).
Did you look at the date, 1862, and it was a "recommended compensated emancipation". Remember, the war started in 1861, the die was already cast. The war wasn't going well for the north, which is why he may have recommended that AFTER the war had started. But why didn't he recommend it before the war had started, and before the south seceded?

Old 03-17-2011, 06:29 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,412,065 times
While I do enjoy the fictions that Memphis1979 spins to villify the Abraham Lincoln and to justify why he should be compensated for the emancipation of his great-great-grand-daddy's slaves, isn't this really some serious thread drift?

You all remember the topic, don't you?

Libertarian principles solve the segregation issue (supposedly)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies