Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
By your logic, the government should increase corporate income tax. by increasing corporate income tax, it will decrease the working class tax?

you should write to your representation and suggest that, by raising corporate income tax, say to 40% it will solve all problem. It will reduce the working class tax to 0%. Why? Because no one will have a job, unless it is a government job. Why would any want to take 100% risk so the government can take 80% (40% fed + 40% state)?

Beside, government doesn't need production, so they do not care about making profit. So all they can do is spending money. Why would you want to give more money to the government?

Tax is a confiscation of wealth.
Thats not entirely correct.. What would happen with a high corporate tax rate is the corporate CEO's would pay themself more because they can move their pays into lower taxed rates than the corporations. Of course liberals would be bemoaning this as well..

You cant please a liberal, nor can you try to explain to them that all actions by the federal government have a reaction by the private sector. What they want to do is beyond stupidity because they only listen to the action, (which to them sounds good), and they cant comprehend the reaction that will take place if their failed policies were put into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
EVERYONE should pay, not just those you want to punish for their success.

PS, the ones you mock are also called EMPLOYERS, now I don't know if you found some homeless person who can cut you a paycheck or if you are on the dole, but your view of Employers is what makes them not want to be in business or leave the states.

You should get a cliche award for your rant on Corporations IMO.
Blah, blah, blah. Personal attacks and rote talking points.

And speaking of not punishing people for their success, no doubt you were on the front lines with the union workers in Wisconsin, yes?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:50 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,519,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yeah, they're serious about fiscal austerity as long as the poor and middle-class pay for it.

"While progressive governors have proposed raising revenue from those who can afford it, alongside painful cuts to programs, Republican governors have unveiled budgets that cut taxes for corporations and raise them on the middle-class and working poor."

Wonk Room » REPORT: In 12 States, GOP Plans To Slash Corporate Taxes While Increasing Burden on Working Families

Of course, I'm not surprised in the least, but, then, I would have known better than to vote for any of these toadies.
The working class deserves it for voting so stupid. I hope they finish what they started against the working class. Even then foolish poor conservatives will vote for their royal masters.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 4,131,011 times
Quote:
I don't know that the government should increase corporate taxes, but I do think, at the very least, the government should collect what it is owed.

The largest corporations in many cases paid little or no taxes at all last year or the year before, despite enormous profits. Then on top of having no tax burden, they get tax cuts, ostensibly to create jobs, but, the jobs ain't coming are they? And, not only are the jobs not coming, but, this very policy of rewarding corporations for the remote possibility that they will create jobs is costing people actual jobs each and every day.

Here is an rather elegant visual showing the shifting tax burden over the last century. This pertains to individuals, rather than to corporations, however, since many of those at the top of pyramid, so to speak, have benefited directly from corporate profits, I think it relevant to our discussion:

Shifting Burdens – U.S. Taxes By Income Level Over The Years
NOBODY owe the government anything. It is the government that OWE us. They have only been taking from us. They keep telling us, by taxing less is like giving us more. Corporation or individuals earn it. If corporation or individual cease to product, they will cease to exist and die. Government is taking it from us through force. If they didn't put a gun in our hand, let see who will pay tax.

The corporations or companies are not hiring is not because they are cheapo. It is because the government created a business hostile environment. Why would anyone want to send job overseas and have to deal with 2 or more government policies?

Old 03-17-2011, 04:05 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,108,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
NOBODY owe the government anything. It is the government that OWE us.
I'll keep that in mind when I compute my tax bill.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,434,647 times
Quote:
Blah, blah, blah. Personal attacks and rote talking points.

And speaking of not punishing people for their success, no doubt you were on the front lines with the union workers in Wisconsin, yes?
Good thread, and a nice try. But you're trying to convince those you have already been brainwashed by the right. Just look at how eagerly they embraced the Bush tax cuts, not knowing (or caring?) that the bottom 60 percent of Americans got just 14.7 percent of the Bush tax cuts, and the top one percent got 29.5 percent of the tax cuts.

Now, instead of tax cuts, it's spending cuts. The mantra of "big bad government is spending YOUR money" is powerful; wrong-headed and short-sighted, but powerful. And if it were only reductions in government spending, it would be dangerous. But it's not just that. It's paired with tax cuts, subsidies, and other gifts to business (i.e., payoffs for past support, and bribes for future support).

The very people who will be hit the hardest - the middle class - are the very people buying hook, line and sinker into the "budget crisis" rationale for the continuation of a true redistribution of wealth, from those who do the work to those who run the companies.

We're in a time warp, and modern-day robber barons are aided and abetted by the GOP at every turn, and cheered on by those who are too ignorant to know they're cheering their own demise.

Just look at one of those states:
OHIO: Gov. John Kasich (R) has proposed cutting 25 percent of schools’ budgets, $1 million from food banks, $12 million from children’s hospitals, and $15.9 million from an adoption program for children with special needs. A Kasich staffer revealed yesterday that these cuts are more about politics then budget-balancing, telling the Cincinnati Dispatch that “even if there weren’t an $8 billion deficit, we’d probably be proposing many of the same things.” The plan includes tax cuts for oil companies, a repeal of the estate tax and an income tax cut for the rich that former Gov. Ted Strickland (D) halted last year because of the state’s fiscal crisis.
If the "budget crisis" in Ohio is so dire as to require cutting so much from programs that assist children and the needy, wouldn't logic say that it would also be dire enough NOT to give tax cuts to anyone? But no, instead of logic, it's the GOP dogma of "business good, regular people ... not so much", and so the tax cuts go to the rich.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM

68,299 posts, read 54,213,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Where do you think jobs come from?
Helping businesses is good.
Who do you think does those jobs?

Helping people is good.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Just a thought since taxes are always brought up in these discussions. Not only the rich but all of us are going to pay more in taxes, it is the simple reality we need to wrap our heads around. We have been borrowing and spending for over ten years, sooner or later we all have to pay. Either they drop the tax cuts on everyone or we go to some sort flat or ConsumptionTax which bring in higher revenues. The cheaper way is one of the two later choices but one way or the other we are all going to have to pay the bill, the government will see to it that we do. Spending cuts can help but we are already in a hole and the only way to truely get back on track is to pay off some of that past debt. So no matter which Party is running things count on more taxes, it will happen.
Casper

Old 03-18-2011, 12:34 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,230,375 times
Quote:
Because the states have to make up the revenue they will be losing by giving tax cuts to the corporations.
A simple example:
Corporation A used to pay $500,000 per year in taxes. That money paid for some number of people on a police force. With the tax cut, the corporation will now pay $250,000 per year.
So, $250,000 less per year for that police force.
Since the police rarely do anything than hand out huge speeding tickets to commuters coming home from a long workday, or directing traffic at private events while simultanously maximizing their already-overgenerous pensions, I see no problem with that.

I've been the victim of several crimes in my life, but not once has the police department bothered to take any action to investigate or catch the criminals--not when my car was stolen and the cops laughed when they told me which city gang did it and where it would be found stripped, or when I found out and gave the police the name of the juvenile delinquent who broke into my house.

If every government employee in America disappeared tomorrow, the only thing most of us would notice is that we no longer had 30 or 40% of our incomes confiscated from our paychecks, and we could retire in the houses we'd paid for instead of having to sell them at a loss when we couldn't afford the $14,000 annual property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies