Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
What's so bad about front loaders? Sometimes you get better entertainment looking at them running than what's on TV!
love my front loader.. I'll never go back to a top loader again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I am sure in 1996 most if not all washers sold in the U.S.A. were made in the U.S.A.

I am sure that has a bit more than a little to do with it.
Regardless of where they are made, they would all have to comply with federal standards in order to be sold here..

Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
I'm perplexed, commercial machines have been front loading for decades.

PS - if you think that oil is a problem, see what happens when folks start running out of water.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,764,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Sounds like the 1.6 gpf versus the 2.1 gpf toilets
Gah... beat me to it. Those were a fiasco.

I'm not sure why people buy washing machines as often as they do... the ones my family buy last 2-3 decades before a major repair makes it worthwhile to get another one. Even my mom has been waiting at least 10 years for hers to go (Kenmore / built in 1984) but it refuses to break down.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,806,587 times
The front loaders are getting better but they are definitely not quite their yet... you have to remember it takes TIME for things to improve, they usually don't start off better right at the beginning... the hybrid/electric vehicles are the same way... they sucked and were overprice... several years from now, they will function much better and won't be as expensive... its all a matter of time... right now, I have a top loader and staying with my top loader for 10 more years before I switch to a front loader, at that time, they should be better... barring any more "stringent" rules...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
I have never had a top-loader, actually I guess I have never seen one in real life, only on pictures. But even the newer front-loaders tend to have problems getting stuff clean. They just use too little water for rinsing, so especially when you use too much detergent, some of it will remain in the laundry. I always pour in additional water during the rinse cycles to make sure to get all detergent out.

The washing in a washing machine depends largely on friction, so don't use laundry softener at all, it will kind of lubricate laundry and prevent that friction the next time you wash it.

What about the new technology based on vibrations? I hope they get that on the market one day

Old 03-17-2011, 03:30 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
PS - if you think that oil is a problem, see what happens when folks start running out of water.

US Drought Monitor
We will happily sell you one of our glaciers, cheap, but you will have to pay shipping and handling charges.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times
This is just another example of Democrats and their fascist tendencies. Not content with micro-mismanaging our private businesses, they feel compelled to tell us how to live our lives from the amount of water we are allowed in our toilets, the light bulbs we can use, the gas mileage we get in our vehicles, and the washers we are allowed to use.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-17-2011 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Deleted inappropriate comment

Old 03-17-2011, 03:41 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,944,519 times
Reality check please.
How any here have problems with their washing machines not cleaning their clothes properly or leaving them "nearly as dirty as they were before washing."? I have no problems with my not-so-old top loader.
If washers are no long "Best Buy"s it's because of reliability not so much performance. Manufacturers are cutting back on quality & shipping production to China.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I am sure in 1996 most if not all washers sold in the U.S.A. were made in the U.S.A.

I am sure that has a bit more than a little to do with it.
Yep'bought a Maytag built in the USA to repalce my old one. Peice of junk compared to old one. Had to be fixed before it ever worked because of faulty assmbly;no parts need.Repair man said he saw it all the time and said we like will see them omved out fo the US soon because of it.Just what happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies