Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:07 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,265,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well far too often they head straight to the welfare offices themselves. How many illegals do you know are paying child support to the many babies they're makin'? Unwed motherhood is definitely higher among the Mexicans than for the white girls, over half of Mexican girls living in the USA have at least one baby, often 3 or 4 by the time they reach age 20 -- and how are they ever going to work if they can't afford the day care in this country?

And you certainly can't claim they aren't tattooed also, and aren't selling dope, because who do you think is bringing the tons of it every day over the border?
Just the other night, I was at an apartment. Father fighting with mother. He was, of course drunk, and illegal. Had been in the United States for 10 years; can't speak a lick of English. They had SEVEN children. And, guess what: They got every single welfare program under the sun.

People complain they don't have healthcare, well this family did. ALL on YOUR DIME. And there are THOUSANDS like this, all over the city I work in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:24 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
the Welfare Reform Act of 2011, a bill that would do much more than rein in exploding federal welfare spending.
Should we take this in the same manner as John Kyle's 90% of Planned Parenthood is for abortion quote? As in not meant to be factual, because TANF sure as hell has exploded in costs in fact despite the economy, TANF outlays are projected to drop in the coming years.

http://www.cbo.gov/budget/factsheets/2010/tanf.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
The last paragraph is the problem. There are very few jobs available now. So if these people are off of welfare... then what?
No shiite!

Old 04-09-2011, 05:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 36,975,677 times
As I pointed out on another thread similar to this, If I were King, I would do away with welfare programs in toto but without the ability to conjure up real jobs or to finance the types of training necessary to bring the unskilled into the workforce then we need some program that provide a floor for the poor to stand on. Absent that, all of this talk about welfare reform is just bull****.

For example from the link:

"Adding work requirements to the food-stamps program, so that the able-bodied must seek employment and job training if they are to continue receiving the assistance."

There is already a work requirement on the Supplemental Nutrition Program, if you are 16 to 60 a recipient must be registered for work, accept suitable employment and take part employment training. Failure to do so will result in disqualification.

"If Congress doesn’t slow this runaway train, federal and state welfare spending will total $10.3 trillion over the next decade."

Oh, for god's sake, if this person honestly expects me to take this proposal seriously by trying to pass off this bogus projection... In order to even approach a$10 trillion figure one would have to add in all of medicare and medicaid into their equation.

"Most have spent years on welfare with little chance of leaving. The average stay on food stamps is eight years, according to one report. And despite the fact that welfare costs are 13 times higher than in the 1960s, when the War on Poverty began, the poverty rate remains virtually unchanged."

This is one of my favorite canards:

One doesn't have to be an economic historian to correlate poverty rates during the war on poverty and the years when it was the war on the poor.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:21 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,187,889 times
Welfare reform happened in the 90's already. It represents a tiny portion of the federal spending and increase in federal spending. These guys are introducing the bill to prey upon people's ignorance of what money the US spends, where it spends it and how it is growing.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:23 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Picking Up Where ’96 Welfare Reform Left Off

Today, Reps. Jim Jordan (R., Ohio), Tim Scott (R., S.C.), and Scott Garrett (R., N.J.) will introduce the Welfare Reform Act of 2011, a bill that would do much more than rein in exploding federal welfare spending. It also seeks to free millions of families, currently trapped in the welfare system, from a debilitating dependence on government.

The legislation also would ease able-bodied recipients of government assistance off the welfare rolls and into jobs — the signature accomplishment of the limited 1996 reforms. The fastest way out of poverty, as the saying goes, is a job.

The last paragraph is the problem. There are very few jobs available now. So if these people are off of welfare... then what?

To me, you attempt to stimulate private/small businesses first so that jobs can open up - then they will be available for the people getting off of welfare.

I hope they know what they are getting into. Maybe I will send a note their way.

the dems and some cons will never go for getting anyone off of poverty. after all, where would their voter base be if they did not get any entitlements.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,750,216 times
We definitely need welfare reform. I think that those on welfare should be required to drug test, enroll in community college or vocational school, attend money management seminars, attend parenting classes if they have children, and do community service. If those requirements are not met, they don't receive any assistance.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
There's never a good time for welfare reform because those that are on it will suffer no matter what the state of the economy.

A single mom with multiple kids and no education. Doesn't matter what the state of the economy is this woman will not make it in society without welfare.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,885,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketqueen1376 View Post
That is a great idea. However, the people on welfare will not be able to afford to relocate. Also, outsourcing really needs to come to an end.
Good evening,

My relocation idea was in addition to my idea of having a local pool of temporary jobs while training for a permanent position. We could even give first dibs to former welfare recipients if this will make you happy.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's never a good time for welfare reform because those that are on it will suffer no matter what the state of the economy.

A single mom with multiple kids and no education. Doesn't matter what the state of the economy is this woman will not make it in society without welfare.
Good evening,

Yes she can make it, with child care assistance from the state for daycare / school tuition, along with her paid portion. Giving her a job and partial child care assistance is more of a motivator to work for a better life and not conceive even more children, instead of giving financial incentives for staying home and enjoying the privilege of making and raising more babies.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
We definitely need welfare reform. I think that those on welfare should be required to drug test, enroll in community college or vocational school, attend money management seminars, attend parenting classes if they have children, and do community service. If those requirements are not met, they don't receive any assistance.
Get rid of welfare for non-disabled people and give them easy access to a job and you won't have to worry about creating a bureaucracy with all these requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies