Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Conservatives won't get rid of NPR, donations from supporters will probably start to soar now.
I listen to it regularly, within the American radio landscape NPR is in a class of its own
Excellent, then the listeners can pay to keep it going, not American taxpayers.... Simple

Can you explain to us why the taxpayers should fund NPR?

You nailed it on the head:

Quote:
for NPR because of their progressive and international approach
It's not impartial and many Americans don't like to pay for a progressive station.

You like it? you and your kind pay to keep it on the air.....

Last edited by plwhit; 03-18-2011 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:47 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yep, that's right. A whole $0 of taxpayer money.

Way to go House, wasn't that time well-spent.

"It should also be noted that despite the eye-rolling Republican rhetoric this morning about the need to cut spending, while the bill imposes certain prohibitions on the use of federal funds, it does not actually do anything with the money. Which is why the CBO scores the bill at a net budget savings of... zero dollars."

Daily Kos: House to debate 'emergency' bill... to defund NPR
It doesn't matter to me where you get your information, the Daily Kos, the fact remains, we don't need PBS funded by taxpayer money, even if they show a profit because they are in competition with private enterprise. Government should never be in comeptition with private enterprise, unless of course you believe in central planning and Communism. Then by all means, go ahead and fund every service by the government, and call a spade a spade, ie, Communism. Enjoy

If PBS can't pay for itself and get off the government teat, then they don't belong in business. They need to be a profit making enterprise, just like every other communication enterprise. Those who want it should support it through buying the products and services of their advertisers, and donate all the money YOU want to here, but keep you theiving hands out of my pockets.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Excellent, then the listeners can pay to keep it going, not American taxpayers....

Simple

Can you explain to us why the taxpayers should fund NPR?

You nailed it on the head:

It's not impartial and many Americans don't like to pay for a progressive station.

You like it? you and your kind pay to keep it on the air.....
Americans don't appreciate the NPR the way they should, it presents a positive image of the US, which after the messy past years and decades can't hurt.

Brits appreciate the BBC, even though it costs taxpayers a whole lot more.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Americans don't appreciate the NPR the way they should, it presents a positive image of the US, which after the messy past years and decades can't hurt.

Brits appreciate the BBC, even though it costs taxpayers a whole lot more.
Spoken as a true elitist, one who KNOWS what is good for everyone else and one of the progressive elitist few who can appreciate something unlike us dumb Americans.

I suggest you read up on what the Brits think of the BBC.... From what I have read they think it's a huge mismanaged government agency and wastes taxpayer money.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ste-money.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ste-money.html

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle6619134.ece

http://www.shibleyrahman.com/bbc/shibley-rahman-the-bbc-represents-a-sickening-waste-of-public-money.php (broken link)

http://alexmasterley.blogspot.com/20...y-special.html

Want more links?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Quote:
House Votes to Defund NPR Saving Us a Net of...$0 Dollars
But saving the country from biased, bigoted, anti-American, liberal indoctrination posing as "news"? Priceless.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Spoken as a true elitist, one who KNOWS what is good for everyone else and one of the progressive elitist few who can appreciate something unlike us dumb Americans.

I suggest you read up on what the Brits think of the BBC.... From what I have read they think it's a huge mismanaged government agency and wastes taxpayer money.

BBC refurbishment £20m over-budget and a 'waste of money' | Mail Online

BBC staff trip to Turkey branded a 'waste of money' | Mail Online

The BBC at Glastonbury: a waste of money? | Carol Midgley - Times Online

The BBC represents a sickening waste of public money | Dr. Shibley Rahman (http://www.shibleyrahman.com/bbc/shibley-rahman-the-bbc-represents-a-sickening-waste-of-public-money.php - broken link)

The Financial Crimes: BBC waste of money special

Want more links?
I lived in Britain, people there by and large trust the BBC like no other media network.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:36 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
I lived in Britain, people there by and large trust the BBC like no other media network.
Yes just like the Chinese trust CCTV like no other media network

The BBC is horribly biased, and the Brits, like the Chinese, don't know any better. Any network that pushes this fraud known as man-made climate change, deserves to have their broadcast license taken away. They pay a lot in TV license for such a biased, crap STATE RUN news agency

Old 03-18-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Yes just like the Chinese trust CCTV like no other media network

The BBC is horribly biased, and the Brits, like the Chinese, don't know any better. Any network that pushes this fraud known as man-made climate change, deserves to have their broadcast license taken away. They pay a lot in TV license for such a biased, crap STATE RUN news agency
Actually, they are pretty objective, but at the end of the day of course they will go for the currently established opinion of the majority of researchers.
The BBC is mainly criticized for the incredible budget (billions of dollars/pounds each year), not for the content. Given the vast amount of content a certain percentage of errors can't be avoided and people know it. But it is very expensive, no doubt about it. Compared to the BBC, NPR is almost like free

Old 03-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:

So obviously you didn't bother to read any of the links I posted.... (all in England BTW)

You lived in England and your circle of friends liked the BBC... *WOW* that's a shocker.... Ergo almost everyone in England likes the BBC..

Whats the old phrase? Birds of a feather flock together

You ever stop and listen to yourself?

As long as NPR is totally funded by the public I really don't care.

I'll stay one of the Americans who doesn't appreciate NPR and will miss out on their progressive verbiage thank you very much.

Last edited by plwhit; 03-18-2011 at 03:58 PM..

Old 03-18-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
So obviously you didn't bother to read any of the links I posted....

You lived in England and your circle of friends liked the BBC... *WOW* that's a shocker.... Ergo almost everyone in England likes the BBC..

You ever stop and listen to yourself?
Your links, well, the Daily Mail for instance is a pretty conservative tabloid, what do you expect to hear from them? Of course they and others don't like the BBC. They have opposed the BBC for a long time.
It is like with planes. People concentrate on the few failures and ignore all the good work being done...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies