Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 08:32 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

Here is a video from Yemen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpGLqaawRF0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6imj...eature=related Unfortunately part of our DNA.

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So the civilians being killed actually are just an excuse to get people to go along....nice.
I don't quite understand your point but I, personally, haven't heard any reports of civilians being killed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've only heard of communications and air defense systems taken out.

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
This is not only a hugely expensive luxury bauble to put on our grandchildren's credit card (assuming that Guido the Loanshark, er, China, keeps carrying us, just adding to the vigorish)-- it is a MASSIVELY STUPID intervention. Money quote, I wish I'd said it--

"Several European nations, the United States and a few token others have decided to intervene militarily in a civil war on the losing side, and just at the moment when these forces were on the verge of defeat." (from talleyrand.net)

Do these geniuses really think that Qaddafi will just roll over and surrender his WMDs? Do they (or you) think that he will care about the "collateral damage" on his population our air strikes will certainly cause, against all those civilians that we're supposedly saving from him? And have they (or you) learned nothing from, oh, say, Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan, all of which were supposed to be won in short order?

The military is already stretched too thin, but these geniuses have stuck the nation's fingers in yet another chinese finger trap. And worst, the president doing this expressly campaigned on not doing this. He must be willing to give up a second term in order to appease the military-industrial complex, the only ones who benefit from this insanity.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Here is a video from Bahrain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nI02Z8B1dw

Old 03-19-2011, 08:34 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
I haven't read this whole thread, much too long. But I wonder why we attack Libya for attacking its own people, yet not Bahrain. What gives? And even worse, our supposed ally Saudi Arabia is taking part in the atrocities in Bahrain. There are some really horrible things happening there and it's not getting much coverage.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I don't quite understand your point but I, personally, haven't heard any reports of civilians being killed. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've only heard of communications and air defense systems taken out.
Why is the USA involved,or any other nation for that matter?

This is a civil war.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, much too long. But I wonder why we attack Libya for attacking its own people, yet not Bahrain. What gives? And even worse, our supposed ally Saudi Arabia is taking part in the atrocities in Bahrain.
Seems that people on BOTH sides of the political spectrum will use civilian deaths to justify military intervention and have no issue with their own hypocritical attitude.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Why is the USA involved,or any other nation for that matter?

This is a civil war.
Because there's a push to oust dictators throughout the region and to establish democracy from within. It's far different from Iraq where we just went in for our own agenda. I don't honestly think it's about who's getting killed where necessarily. But letting him win at this point could stifle the growing revolutions that have spread throughout the region and begin building toward peace in the region.

btw - you make a valid point. I just think there's other perspectives to consider. I don't know all the reasons why we jump to oust some dictators and not others. Maybe it's just that some have been causing too much trouble internationally and others fly under the radar.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
LIbya is claiming 48 dead civilians from bombings (not confirmed)

BBC News - Libya: Coalition launches attacks from air and sea

Look at the side story. Looks like US is taking the lead on this action afterall. Where is the Arab coalition?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies