Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2011, 09:27 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Stop. Seriously. I'm trying to be cordial with you and you just go on this attack mode. Are you even reading my posts past the first line, because I'm answering your questions before you ask them.

We are not leading the attack. We are providing coordination and missile support for this phase.

Iraq was completely different because there was no uprising from the people begging for outside help. We went into Iraq out of our own self-interest on trumped-up reasoning. The whole "democracy" thing got thrown onto Iraq after all the other excuses for being there failed.

This is completely different and far more limited in scope (at least so far)
Not to mention the Arab League wants our help in Libya, having voted 20 - 2 in favor of the No Fly Zone, which is exactly the opposite of their unanimous vote opposing our illegal invasion of Iraq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

Libya is not a threat to the United States.

If anyone knows otherwise, I'd sure like to know what it is.
There are justifications beyond our own immediate threat to take military action. One is in support of our allies in the region who have asked for our help, many of whom gave their help to us when we asked for it in Afghanistan. Reasonable democrats will understand this. Republicans' mileage will vary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 09:28 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
This isn't a war. It's a limited engagement (let's hope it stays that way). Think more like Somalia for Clinton than Iraq for Bush. I don' think it will hurt Obama's re-election chances because it's a human rights mission.
You support attacking other nations,sometimes for some reasons but not other times for the same reasons...

Makes sense....not.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Not to mention the Arab League wants our help in Libya, having voted 20 - 2 in favor of the No Fly Zone, which is exactly the opposite of their unanimous vote opposing our illegal invasion of Iraq. There are justifications beyond our own immediate threat to take military action. One is in support of our allies in the region who have asked for our help, many of whom gave their help to us when we asked for it in Afghanistan. Reasonable democrats will understand this. Republicans' mileage will vary
Incredible the hypocrisy of the left when it comes to attacking another nation...sickening really.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
This isn't a war. It's a limited engagement (let's hope it stays that way). Think more like Somalia for Clinton than Iraq for Bush. I don' think it will hurt Obama's re-election chances because it's a human rights mission.
And Somalia is worse today, than before we ever went in.
I'm waiting to see the real civilian unarmed casualty numbers pre bombing, before I come to conclude it was a human rights mission.

There are many more places with more dire need of human
rights intervention, than Libya - and you know it.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

Incredible the hypocrisy of the left when it comes to attacking another nation...sickening really.
Sickening how you keep trying to label the left as hypocrites about invading other countries, when the fact is that we aren't universally opposed to invasion. The invasion of Afghanistan was fairly universally supported by the left. But since you're so sick, I hope you have a bathroom nearby.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Sickening how you keep trying to label the left as hypocrites about invading other countries, when the fact is that we aren't universally opposed to invasion. The invasion of Afghanistan was fairly universally supported by the left. But since you're so sick, I hope you have a bathroom nearby.

Why do you support attacking another nation that is of no threat to the USA?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Really? There are neocon posters on C-D saying we shouldn't attack Libya? Holy crap. Partisanship, **** yeah!@!!!
I'm in awe.

The right is against another war
And the left is for another war.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Why do you support attacking another nation that is of no threat to the USA?
Because I'm in favor of supporting our allies in the region who asked us to help stop the mass bloodshed in their backyard, that stands to destabilize the entire region.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:37 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
I asked you to stop. You're not going to get me with this. I've answered your questions that you just keep repeating. Here's my last chance to get through to you. If you can't accept what I'm saying this time, then we'll just have to accept that we have different views.

Quote:
Most of the attacks have been from US military warships.
Thank you. We're still only participating in a limited portion of the attack and are not the primary nation. As I've said before. Listen to Obama explain it, then you'll understand.

Quote:
You are using as a reason for attacking Libya that some civilians rose up...but state it is irrelevant when it came to Iraq....
Wrong. If we invaded Iraq because Saddam was dropping bombs on a pro-democracy revolution, then it would be different.

We invaded Iraq for ourselves on the false basis that Saddam was a threat to us. That has never been suggested with Libya.

Quote:
Just wondering why you support attacking another nation that has not threatened the USA in any way.
Same reason I supported Clinton going into Somalia - human rights.

Perhaps Reagan's invasion of Grenada would be more akin to Iraq than this.

Quote:
and you now support bombing another nation for some reason or another...not really sure what your reason for supporting attacking another nation is really.
I've explained it 19 times - there's a spreading push for democracy that could bring peace and stability over the long-term to the region and Gaddafi's standing in the way.

No need to respond. I know what you will say by this point. Have a good evening.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm in awe.

The right is against another war
And the left is for another war.

The left was for Afghanistan as well. I think most liberals are for military actions (this isn't a war) that make sense and against ones that don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies