Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM

208 posts, read 416,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
You were under the illusion that Japan does NOT have "trash"?
Not me. I see trash everywhere.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, it's not looting, it's trying to survive. These people who criticize as they sit in their comfy warm safe homes , stuffed to their gills with food....they will deny it but if they were in the same circumstances they would do the SAME THING!
Sorry, no. Hurricanes are similar natural disasters and I've been through three direct hits from Category 3 and 4s when we lived in Florida, two of which were devastating.

Not only did my family not loot and steal or consider doing so, but NOBODY in our suburban neighborhood did. We all had cookouts before the fridge and freezer food spoiled; we shared generators to keep food cold for future cookouts. Co-workers volunteered their time to visit every corporation employee's homes to provide help and patch roofs if needed, the day after the storms.

In fact, the only crimes we ever had in the area, unsupervised juveniles breaking into the houses of working people, didn't happen at all during the months when electricity was off and everyone was re-building and cleaning up.

Since Japan is not a closed society and has non-Japanese living there; I'll bet it turns out to be non-Japanese who did the looting. Decent people do NOT loot simply because the police are nowhere to be found, and it takes a VERY long time to starve to death, so that's not a choice anyone in America has to face.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoBe View Post

It's not culture. It's the human condition.
Funny, I said that a week ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

Not only that, they're attempting to compare what's happening in the immediate aftermath of the tsunami to what started happening after days without resources or rescue, by people who were literally trapped and starving in New Orleans.

Not to mention, they're begin disgracefully racist, considering that white people were "looting", or as they said, "finding" food, too. I think if you were trapped without food or water and no assistance or rescue, you'd resort to taking what you needed to survive, too. I would, and I wouldn't feel an ounce of remorse. I'm not going to die for the sake of some misguided moral authority.
And I stand by that assessment. I am 100% certain that every single solitary person posting in this thread (and the other one) would steal what they needed if they were trapped in a massive disaster, be it food, water, dry clothing, shoes. Hell, I bet they'd even steal a television set after a week in a disaster area where their entire community was gutted and flooded, with absolutely nothing to do all day every day, and no way of seeing any news reports without one!

Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,527,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
So are you saying the people in Japan stripped the supermarkets, warehouses and etc before the earthquake and the tsunami?
No, what he (and the rest of the usual suspects) is saying is that it acknowledging the truth of your OP goes against their agenda of bashing Blacks (and Blacks only) in regards to survivng in the aftermath of a natural disaster.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I thought we all agreed that taking food in a disaster is not really looting, no matter who you are. Right?
It's looting, by definition. Whatever moral culpability rules one wants to apply to such circumstances are independent of the fact that it is still looting, and the definition doesn't change because of exigency.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
So are you saying the people in Japan stripped the supermarkets, warehouses and etc before the earthquake and the tsunami?
No, I'm saying they sold out and could not get re-supplied immediately.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Desperate people do desperate things.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
If a food store is abandoned why should people let it go to waste? So long as you are taking what you need and not selling it to others you are doing no harm and committing no crime. Collecting food or shelter to survive is not a sin.

Survival trumps "sacred" property values during emergencies. IMHO it trumps property values all the time.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If a food store is abandoned why should people let it go to waste? So long as you are taking what you need and not selling it to others you are doing no harm and committing no crime. Collecting food or shelter to survive is not a sin. Survival trumps "sacred" property values during emergencies. IMHO it trumps property values all the time.
What if yours was the house that crowds of looters decided to steal from, cleaning out from your cellar the canned and packaged food you'd put away for your family in case of emergency?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Please note I said ABANDONED FOOD STORE. That is scavanging, not stealing.

I did not say steal from a private residence occupied by the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies