Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:33 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
these days it is more likely to be a private employee getting laid off than a public employee.
That's pretty much always been the case. I don't get why we're supposed to feel all sorry now, over the reaction of a public employee, yet we ignore what's been going on with those in the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 09:35 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Sorry, but people get laid off all the time. Why does it matter if it's a public employee or private?
The scope of the layoffs. Take a look:
Quote:
The city started handing out pink slips Thursday; around 213 of the city's 472 employees were to have been notified by the end of the day.
That's 45% of the city's employees.

There is no money. Massive layoffs coming soon to your local government.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's pretty much always been the case. I don't get why we're supposed to feel all sorry now, over the reaction of a public employee, yet we ignore what's been going on with those in the private sector.
Um... that's exactly what the public employee unions are doing, especially in Wisconsin: ignoring the fact that taxpayers are struggling while insisting on continuing to be able to make additional collectively bargained demands.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
these days it is more likely to be a private employee getting laid off than a public employee.

No really. In Florida, Public sector Employees have been laid off regularly since 2006. And they expect to continue the next fiscal year.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
What happens when public employees are too costly? You scale down and become more efficient. Most likely they're going to follow the example of private companies who lay off the older, and more costly, employess and keep the younger and "cheaper" employees who will (happily) take on more work for the same low rate.

If the pensions, perks, and other promises given to now-retired persons is too costly to maintain, just stripping them from current employees is not going to solve the problem of a huge group of now-retiring individuals who are living longer than expected. I wouldn't be surprised to see overwhelmed cities and states filing for some sort of "bankruptcy" to rid themselves of their retirement/pension/health benefits obligations to people who are retired.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

I wouldn't be surprised to see overwhelmed cities and states filing for some sort of "bankruptcy" to rid themselves of their retirement/pension/health benefits obligations to people who are retired.
Lets hope so. The fleecing of the taxpayers needs to come to a screeching halt.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
What happens when public employees are too costly? You scale down and become more efficient. Most likely they're going to follow the example of private companies who lay off the older, and more costly, employess and keep the younger and "cheaper" employees who will (happily) take on more work for the same low rate.
Union contracts usually prohibit that. The last hired are the first to go.

For example, Wisconsin's Outstanding First Year Teacher award winner.
Quote:
In 2010, Megan Sampson was named an Outstanding First Year Teacher in Wisconsin. A week later, she got a layoff notice from the Milwaukee Public Schools. Why would one of the best new teachers in the state be one of the first let go? Because her collective-bargaining contract requires staffing decisions to be made based on seniority.
Scott Walker: Why I'm Fighting in Wisconsin - WSJ.com

Old 03-18-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Lets hope so. The fleecing of the taxpayers needs to come to a screeching halt.
It will. There is no money. All the union protests in the world cannot change that fact.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, his reaction was extreme, and tragic.

However, this is the important part, and what will be happening all across the U.S. as more and more state and local governments are forced to grapple with public employee costs that are too high:
I dont see that as important at all. Companies all over america faced similiar situations and were forced to lay off employees..

There is a whole city, (I forget the name but I posted it somewhere here on cd) that laid of EVERYONE.. Yes... they laid off every single employee and contracted their services out because they found out it was cheaper and it was that or bankruptcy..

What are you suggesting is the alternative? We have Gov Walker cutting down on collective barganing so he doesnt have to lay anyone off, and the public goes bonkers, and then we have you here posting that if people do get laid off, they are justified in killing themsel.

What is the alternative if you cant lay people off or freeze their wages?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont see that as important at all. Companies all over america faced similiar situations and were forced to lay off employees..

There is a whole city, (I forget the name but I posted it somewhere here on cd) that laid off EVERYONE.. Yes... they laid off every single employee and contracted their services out because they found out it was cheaper and it was that or bankruptcy.

What are you suggesting is the alternative? We have Gov Walker cutting down on collective barganing so he doesnt have to lay anyone off, and the public goes bonkers, and then we have you here posting that if people do get laid off, they are justified in killing themsel.
I'm not justifying one's killing oneself. The point is that the out-of-control costs of public employee salaries and benefits are leading to massive state and local government employee layoffs.

The public unions aren't dealing in reality. They're unwilling to work with deficit-strapped governments to save their own jobs. There is no money. Unions' collective bargaining temper tantrums won't change that. Massive public employee layoffs will accelerate; this man's suicide will not stop the inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies