Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:05 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,724,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am called delusional when I express my belief in God. Homosexuality is an abomination to God.
Okay I promise to agree with you on your point if you promise to agree with me that the 1st amendment says this:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Since our country does not have an established religion, that means we bound by the Constitution, not the bible. It also means that since there is a separation of church and state, churches DON'T have to recognize gay marriages nor are they required to perform them. Here in Mass, we've had gay marriage since 2005 and not a single church has been required to perform them. However, the state government, a secular institution, is required to recognize them.

The Constitution also says this in Article IV Section 1:

"Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof. "

That article means that a contract in one state is legally binding in another. So, now that gay marriage is legal in five states, the rest of the states should recognize marriages performed in gay friendly states.

On a more logical note, if you truly believe that gay marriage is wrong, don't have one, don't talk to people who've had one and go to church and ensure that your God know you believe it to be wrong. If it turns out that you guys are right on the matter, then prepare for your eternity in heaven while everyone else burns in the firey pits of hell. Is it a deal? And while we're on earth, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 01:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Barbara Bush Campaigns for Same-Sex Marriage, Joins Former First Lady, Vice President on Gay Rights - ABC News

Laura Bush Supports Gay Marriage, Abortion - ABC News

Laura Bush: Gay Marriage 'Will Come' Due To Generational Shift

Laura Bush: I secretly supported abortion and gay marriage - even though my husband did not | Mail Online

Laura Bush: Gay Marriage, Abortion Should be Legal, Christian News, The Christian Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtNabdDx_mU

Cheney Offers Support For Gay Marriage (VIDEO)

Cheney supports gay marriage, admits no link found between Hussein and 9/11 - Posted (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/06/02/286378.aspx - broken link)

Cheney at odds with Bush on gay marriage - Politics - msnbc.com

Cheney: Same-sex marriage is OK | Strange Bedfellows — Seattle and King County Government and Politics News - seattlepi.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5jefmsqBG8
wow

republicans...they MUST be wrong

stop ALL marriages, inions...we are all INDIVIDUALS

get rid of the BENEFITS and BRIBES of marriages and unions...stop the GREED

Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,513,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow

republicans...they MUST be wrong

stop ALL marriages, inions...we are all INDIVIDUALS

get rid of the BENEFITS and BRIBES of marriages and unions...stop the GREED
ROFLMFAO.......I'm sure the vast majority of people would see your post as being selfish and greedy; since you are trying to tell the rest of us how to live our lifes......don't want to get married....then don't get married....it's none of my business......but don't push your beliefs onto the rest of us.....our marriages are none of your business. .

Openly gay Republican is official in 2012 Presidential candidate | News Story on 365gay.com

Civil union bills make way through Delaware and Colorado Senates | News Story on 365gay.com

Old 03-24-2011, 03:42 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,513,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I am called delusional when I express my belief in God. Homosexuality is an abomination to God.
ROFL..............Do you enforce these Bible misconceptions without bias??????

For instance in the Book of Livictus>>>>>

Eating Pork is an abomination.......hope you never eat ham, bacon or pork chops or any animal fats that are pork based!

Eating Shellfish is an abomination........no shrimp, clams, oysters, crab or lobster for you!

Wearing unnatural fibers is an abomination.....no rayon, nylon, dacron, polyester...etc...good luck wearing clothes today.....very few items are 100% cotton or burlap!

Ad Nauseum!

Lastly the constitution guarantees that the state will not sponsor any one religion, nor inhibit any either.......therefore religion does not dictate equal rights issues except in your mind and a few hypocritical zealots..

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-24-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 06:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
ROFLMFAO.......I'm sure the vast majority of people would see your post as being selfish and greedy; since you are trying to tell the rest of us how to live our lifes......don't want to get married....then don't get married....it's none of my business......but don't push your beliefs onto the rest of us.....our marriages are none of your business. .
not pushing anything...not selfish..which is what the gay's certainly show themselves to be

I dont beliEve ANYONE show get a break/benefit/bribe/COST REDUCTION just because thay "say" THEY ARE MARRIED

and willing to bet if there was no benefits...that 95% of you wouldnt even worry about a PERMISSION SLIP to say you love someone

marriage (the piece of paper) is a sham....

it should be about love not benefits...and the more YOU speak about it..the more you prove my point

Old 03-24-2011, 06:46 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
we are all INDIVIDUALS
I'm not!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
not pushing anything...not selfish..which is what the gay's certainly show themselves to be

I dont beliEve ANYONE show get a break/benefit/bribe/COST REDUCTION just because thay "say" THEY ARE MARRIED

and willing to bet if there was no benefits...that 95% of you wouldnt even worry about a PERMISSION SLIP to say you love someone

it should be about love not benefits...and the more YOU speak about it..the more you prove my point
How about some other benefits of civil marriage contracts? One benefit is that if an American citizen falls in love with and marries a foreigner, that foreign spouse is entitled to a spousal immigration visa so he or she can stay in the US with his or her American spouse so they can make a home together. Would you suggest doing away with that? In your no civil marriage America, if I fall in love with and marry a foreigner, is it just tough luck - we can't be and live together in the United States?

I have a friend caught up in this situation. My friend Ben spent a year in Prague after college graduation on a Fulbright scholarship. He met a man, Lukas, and they fell in love. They want nothing more than to make a life together in Ben's hometown - Seattle - but Lukas can't immigrate. For the last 4 years, the two have been shuttling back and forth between the US and the Czech Republic - Lukas on a string of 6 month tourist visas, and Ben on a tourist visa or sometimes a short duration work visa. It's very tough on them. Usually only one can work, so he has to support both financially. There have been long periods when they had to be apart. And both have had to put off finding and establishing careers for the last 4 years.

The disgusting and enraging part is that if Ben were heterosexual and Lukas were a women, they could get married and live together in the US under a spousal immigration visa. But no. Since Ben is gay he's discriminated against and is denied that civil right. Thanks DOMA.

Last edited by hammertime33; 03-24-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2011, 07:18 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
How about some other benefits of civil marriage contracts? One benefit is that if an American citizen falls in love with and marries a foreigner, that foreign spouse is entitled to a spousal immigration visa so he or she can stay in the US with his or her American spouse so they can make a home together. Would you suggest doing away with that? It your no civil marriage America, if I fall in love with and marry a foreigner, is it just tough luck - we can't be and live together in the United States?

I have a friend caught up in this situation. My friend Ben spent a year in Prague after college graduation on a Fulbright scholarship. He met a man, Lukas, and they fell in love. They want nothing more than to make a life together in Ben's hometown - Seattle - but Lukas can't immigrate. For the last 4 years, the two have been shuttling back and forth between the US and the Czech Republic - Lukas on a string of 6 month tourist visas, and Ben on a tourist visa or sometimes a short duration work visa. It's very tough on them. Usually only one can work, so he has to support both financially. There have been long periods when they had to be apart. And both have had to put off finding and establishing careers for the last 4 years.

The disgusting and enraging part is that if Ben were heterosexual and Lukas were a women, they could get married and live together in the US under a spousal immigration visa. But no. Since Ben is gay he's discriminated against and is denied that civil right. Thanks DOMA.
Thanks for sharing that. This country is so backwards in its thinking.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:22 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,311 times
Quote:

Yes .. it's always been about the money .. love is just an excuse that gets used when someone else thinks it's time for a payday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies