Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:41 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

IMO, big government is not a government that supplies a strong infrastructure for its citizens such as highways, high speed rails, libraries, emergency management, potable water, regulations to protect our safety, etc....

IMO, big government is one that tries to take individual rights and choices away. Big government defines and enforces personal choices such as marriage or women's health. Big government is also one that moves toward centralized power as we see happening in states with Republican governors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Big government is one that uses the Commerce Clause and "General Welfare Clause" to justify 90% of what it does, plain and simple

Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
IMO, big government is not a government that supplies a strong infrastructure for its citizens such as highways, high speed rails, libraries, emergency management, potable water, regulations to protect our safety, etc....

IMO, big government is one that tries to take individual rights and choices away. Big government defines and enforces personal choices such as marriage or women's health. Big government is also one that moves toward centralized power as we see happening in states with Republican governors.
Takes away individual rights kind of like a person's right to work for an employer and have the choice to not join a labor union? Individual rights like the right to choose NOT to buy health insurance if you don't want it? Those kinds of rights? I guess I agree with you then.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:49 PM

525 posts, read 948,229 times
Quote:

Thank you sir..

Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Takes away individual rights kind of like a person's right to work for an employer and have the choice to not join a labor union? Individual rights like the right to choose NOT to buy health insurance if you don't want it? Those kinds of rights? I guess I agree with you then.
Would you say Medicare is big government?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Hell yes. And Social Security. If I could function in this country without an SSN and not live like an illegal alien I would have dumped it, and rely on myself for my retirement without trusting the government not to raid the "lockbox" every now and then *cough* Clinton surplus *cough*

Old 03-18-2011, 03:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Yes.

The powers of the federal government are well defined within the US Constitution. The remainder of the power stays with the states and with the people.

It is exceedingly well documented that the so called "general welfare" clause was never meant to grant any over reaching powers to the federal government.

Revenue sharing between the states and the federal government as well as leaving the gold standard has created a monster of control by the federal government which is unaccountabile to the people it is supposed to serve. The only way is to defund and starve this beast. No bandaid patches are going to stop the bleeding of the Republic. The Marxist vultures are hovering.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hell yes. And Social Security. If I could function in this country without an SSN and not live like an illegal alien I would have dumped it, and rely on myself for my retirement without trusting the government not to raid the "lockbox" every now and then *cough* Clinton surplus *cough*

Without Medicare, where would you buy insurance after you retire?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes.
How about Obamacare?

Old 03-18-2011, 03:58 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Everything run from or coming out of Washington DC these days is big government or bigger than it needs to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies