Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:30 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's one thing to not believe in God; I respect your decision. But why do you feel it's necessary to mock others and provide such a disrespectful description? That was totally unnecessary. Most atheists/agnostics that I know say that they don't need religion to be an upstanding person. Sounds like you could take a few lessons from them.
I'm actually agnostic. I have no evidence for or against God.

But, when a so-called Christian (like the person I was responding to), equates gays with being "mentally ill" or some other iteration of psychological disturbed, all in the name of God, then I tend to not-so-politely point out that what millions of so-called "religious" people do every day (especially those who claim to hear God speaking to them) is one very thin line away from schizophrenia or multiple personality disorder.

I'm sorry if my phraseology offended you, but usually not one to tip-toe...especially among those who rail against "political correctness!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 08:36 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Gays are capable of sexual harassment.

It appears this guy got sick of it and took care of the situation.
No, it looks more like he killed the guy for his money and just used the 'gay defense' to gain sympathy. He got the old man to sign a will leaving him everything. And then he killed him. He was also the old guy's POA so he knew exactly how much money he had.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
No, it looks more like he killed the guy for his money and just used the 'gay defense' to gain sympathy. He got the old man to sign a will leaving him everything. And then he killed him. He was also the old guy's POA so he knew exactly how much money he had.
But to STONE someone to death?!? He was 70, just push him down the stairs or something! (Not condoning it at ALL, but if you are going to kill someone.. do it as nice as possible.. lol)

I do hope this story evolves, I'd love to find out more about this relationship.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
That's a little condescending. Do you feel the seame way about all religions/belief systems?

For those who truly are interested, hyper religiousity is a possible sign of mania according to the DSM IV.

Mania - Psychologist Anywhere Anytime
I'm sorry but I find most of religion to be insane. I hear Christians and other religious say all the time that they hear "god" telling them do things. I'm sorry but someone with voices in their head telling them to do things is a symptom of insanity. Some of the other aspects of religion is more than a little crazy. Take for instance the Catholic dogma of Transubstantiation, where they believe a little cracker and gulp of wine turn into LITERAL blood and flesh of a supposed man who lived 2000 years ago. Or the virgin birth, the concept of god in general, etc.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's one thing to not believe in God; I respect your decision. But why do you feel it's necessary to mock others and provide such a disrespectful description? That was totally unnecessary. Most atheists/agnostics that I know say that they don't need religion to be an upstanding person. Sounds like you could take a few lessons from them.

when religion tries to discourage its version of immorality and not lobby govt to enforce their version of morality, i might be a little more respectful. until then, the bible crowd will mocked relentlessly and their stupidity put on display for all to see. their double standards and hypocrisy, will be pointed out for all to see!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Grizzly murders are committed by the most adamant "church goers."

BTW, it is not just Muslims that have violence in their religion.

Here is another of hundreds of examples of this:
Quote:
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Feb. 12 (UPI) -- A Virginia man diagnosed with schizophrenia told reporters that he cut his 5-year-old son's head off to save him from the anti-Christ.
Quote:
Christopher Bellamy, music director at a church Hagerman formerly attended, said that he first showed symptoms of schizophrenia while he was in the Marines. Bellamy said that medication appeared to be controlling the symptoms, although on his Web site Hagerman credited Jesus.
Read more: Dad: God told me to kill my son - UPI.com

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,502,228 times
The title made me think the old man was stoned by the 28 year-old dude.

The old man is a lunatic. I mean really, stoning him for being gay? At least if he made you uncomfortable, hit him with your crutches old man!

Clearly he wanted something the gay man had.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
when religion tries to discourage its version of immorality and not lobby govt to enforce their version of morality, i might be a little more respectful. until then, the bible crowd will mocked relentlessly and their stupidity put on display for all to see. their double standards and hypocrisy, will be pointed out for all to see!
^
OMG this!!

Let's ban Harry Potter BOOKS because they are EVIL. However, OUR book the bible, is full of nice happy things....and just some stories of murder, murder, killing, rape, slavery, rape, murder, incest...etc..and some cool guy named jesus!

Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Man Stoned to Death for Homosexuality: Cops - Local News - Philadelphia, PA - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42152129/ns/local_news-philadelphia_pa/ - broken link)

lol @ christians
Stoning is actually a Jewish and Islamic punishment, not Christian.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
That's a little condescending. Do you feel the seame way about all religions/belief systems?

For those who truly are interested, hyper religiousity is a possible sign of mania according to the DSM IV.

Mania - Psychologist Anywhere Anytime
My question is:

Do people kill because god told them to if they have not been indoctrinated in a religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies