Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I say Canada is the proof. In all of the quality of life polls and the happiness index Canada beats the USA hands down. The more diverse the country gets, the more successful the country as a whole is.
The majority of the illegals going to get amnesty are under educated and have no skills.
How will taking in millions of poor make the country more successful ?

Should you take education levels and skill levels into account ?

Nearly 1/4 of school children today live in poverty and the trend is upward.
Is that a mark of our success ..increased poverty ?

Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Holland View Post
I was raised in diversity. Integrated schools of the late 60's and 70's, five years in the military, twenty years as a urban public school teacher. I can say that I've seen it all. The in's and out's of race relations, the good,bad, and indifferent on all sides. The only place I've seen diversity work is in the military. Everyone working for a common cause and living in close quarters. Sure there were disagreements and differences but for the most part it worked well.
In twilight of my life I just want to get away from it and settle into a place were people are just like me. No need to worry about offending other with a slip of the tongue. No more listening to people I don't even understand and then being call a racist for just questioning it. No more living in a place where a white person has to fear going out at night. Where I'm not blamed for every wrong that has gone on in this country...... To live in peace.... My right of life, liberty and happiness.
What'chu talkin' 'bout Willis?!!

Airplane! - Jive Scene with Translation [1080p] - YouTube

Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
I say Canada is the proof. In all of the quality of life polls and the happiness index Canada beats the USA hands down. The more diverse the country gets, the more successful the country as a whole is.
That's utter BS! Canada isn't near as diverse as we are.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:20 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
The facts certainly destroy the myth you are trying to push on us. Canada is less diverse than the USA.

Canada; 79.1% white, 2.9% black, 2.6% indian, 13% asian.

USA: 72.4% white, 12.6% black, 1.1% indian, 4.8% asian.

Diversity has nothing to do with happiness or success.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:43 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,905 times
Quote:
canada is more diverse than the US? Is that a joke.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The facts certainly destroy the myth you are trying to push on us. Canada is less diverse than the USA.

Canada; 79.1% white, 2.9% black, 2.6% indian, 13% asian.

USA: 72.4% white, 12.6% black, 1.1% indian, 4.8% asian.

Diversity has nothing to do with happiness or success.
You forgot Hispanics. Most in this country are only half white and a good share of native indian. So they would have to be subtracted from the white catagory. There is a large percentage of them here.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,296,264 times
What I don't understand is why some people claim multiculturalism is "being forced" on them. How is it being forced? I'm white, my wife is Asian, nobody forced me to marry her (actually, that's not true, SHE forced me to marry her, but that's a whole different story. My two best friends are Hispanic, I meet one in college and one at a place where we both worked. Nobody forced me to be friends with them, we just all had a lot in common (and one guy has a fishing boat, you definitely need a friend with a boat!). My neighbor on one side is also Hispanic, and the one in front if me is white, nobody forced us to live by each other, we all just liked the neighborhood. (True story, and I am not making this up, none of us know the racial identity of the guy who lives to the right of me. We've never seen him, he never comes out. I keep checking for tarps in his back yard.)

Point is, the government didn't force me to associate with these people, we all chose to be associated with one another(and the one guy has a pretty sweet boat!). I sometimes think that when people decry multiculturalism, they are talking about the government actually recognizing diversity exists, or hindering racist practices to stop it. I know someone will throw out segregation of schools here, but that's BS most school districts these days are based on geography, they are not busing ethnic groups from clear across town these day to foster multiculturalism.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
What I don't understand is why some people claim multiculturalism is "being forced" on them. How is it being forced? I'm white, my wife is Asian, nobody forced me to marry her (actually, that's not true, SHE forced me to marry her, but that's a whole different story. My two best friends are Hispanic, I meet one in college and one at a place where we both worked. Nobody forced me to be friends with them, we just all had a lot in common (and one guy has a fishing boat, you definitely need a friend with a boat!). My neighbor on one side is also Hispanic, and the one in front if me is white, nobody forced us to live by each other, we all just liked the neighborhood. (True story, and I am not making this up, none of us know the racial identity of the guy who lives to the right of me. We've never seen him, he never comes out. I keep checking for tarps in his back yard.)

Point is, the government didn't force me to associate with these people, we all chose to be associated with one another(and the one guy has a pretty sweet boat!). I sometimes think that when people decry multiculturalism, they are talking about the government actually recognizing diversity exists, or hindering racist practices to stop it. I know someone will throw out segregation of schools here, but that's BS most school districts these days are based on geography, they are not busing ethnic groups from clear across town these day to foster multiculturalism.
Then you aren't aware of all the employment ads requiring one to know Spanish to get hired? If that isn't forcing one to learn Spanish then I don't know what is.

We aren't a multi-cultural country in identity. We have one common culture and language and all others are just minority/sub cultures.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:52 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
i am not sure what you now call diversity which used to be called pluralism--- is working as well as it could for the world. i think including everyone in the talent pool is essential-- but we have not figured out yet how to do that without turning the country over to lawlessness and mean streets. france is struggling hard with this concept, its not just us. france tried to get the immigrants to do it the french way-- they refused. the immigrants are attempting to high jack the french system by force of numbers. if they do, all will lose. they will turn france into the hell they escaped in the mideast and north africa. i think we americans could learn much from the struggle of france.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
My problem with diversity and multiculturalism is that it has nothing to do with economic integration. Social integration means nothing if huge swaths of a population are economically locked out. The U.S. is socially integrated in some places, but isn't economically integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies