Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then you aren't aware of all the employment ads requiring one to know Spanish to get hired? If that isn't forcing one to learn Spanish then I don't know what is.

We aren't a multi-cultural country in identity. We have one common culture and language and all others are just minority/sub cultures.
By whom? Companies wanting to market to the Hispanic community? I'm sorry, that's capitalism and free market forces at work. Spanish language communities are a market to be tapped. Is it wrong for companies not to hire you because you don't speak Spanish? If I was a programmer who only knew the programming language .NET, and a company was hiring programmers that needed to know Java, I wouldn't expect to get hired. The ability to speak a another language is a job skill, which companies use to increase market share and profits. If you don't have the skills, you don't deserve the job.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
By whom? Companies wanting to market to the Hispanic community? I'm sorry, that's capitalism and free market forces at work. Spanish language communities are a market to be tapped. Is it wrong for companies not to hire you because you don't speak Spanish? If I was a programmer who only knew the programming language .NET, and a company was hiring programmers that needed to know Java, I wouldn't expect to get hired. The ability to speak a another language is a job skill, which companies use to increase market share and profits. If you don't have the skills, you don't deserve the job.
Free market greed. It is mostly to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. To discriminate against English speaking Americans in hiring practices for that reason is despicable to me. They aren't asking for "skills" when posting job ads for bi-lingual workers for the reason above.

Your analogy is like comparing apples to oranges. Nice try though.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Free market greed. It is mostly to pander to illegal alien Spanish speakers. Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English. To discriminate against English speaking Americans in hiring practices for that reason is despicable to me. They aren't asking for "skills" when posting job ads for bi-lingual workers for the reason above.

Your analogy is like comparing apples to oranges. Nice try though.
Free market greed? The ability to make a profit improves the earnings of investors, management, and employees. You make profits by satisfying existing markets while seeking out new ones. This is the free market at work. I love how some people always argue that we must preserve The Free Market System and we should keep government out of it. But then they scream how unfair it is when that free market system goes inevitability where it has to go. You can only sell so many iPhones to so many white affluent Americans until you saturate that market and need to find new markets. And when you do, you need to hire the person with right language skills to relate to that market.

Your response tells me you like the capitalism that made this country great, until it starts to cater to a segment that speaks a different language than you. Nice try, though.

Last edited by GWhopper; 05-21-2013 at 09:24 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 06:34 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Free market greed? The ability to make a profit improves the earnings of investors, management, and employees. You make profits by satisfying existing markets while seeking out new ones. This is the free market at work. I love how some people always argue that we must preserve The Free Market System and we should keep government out of it. But then they scream how unfair it is when that free market system goes inevitability where it has to go. You can only sell so many iPhones to so many white affluent Americans until you saturate that market and need to find new markets. And when you do, you need to hire the person with right language skills to relate to that market.

Your response tells me you like the capitalism that made this country great, until it starts to cater to a segment that speaks a different language than you. Nice try, though.
Again, this is about pandering to illegal aliens for profit and yet you find this acceptable and maybe even admirable? Please.......

You last sentence is nothing but a lie because most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so it isn't about just cateriing to a segment of our populalaton that speaks a different language but pandering to ILLEGAL ALIENS. What part of that aren't you getting? I sure don't see many employment ads requiring Mandarin, Polish, German etc. and yet those and many other languages are spoken in this country also.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I say Canada is the proof. In all of the quality of life polls and the happiness index Canada beats the USA hands down. The more diverse the country gets, the more successful the country as a whole is.
Surely you can show correlation that happiness is due to the racial diversity right?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:28 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
The people most in favor of diversity are the least tolerant of a diversity of ideas and opinion.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Surely you can show correlation that happiness is due to the racial diversity right?
It's surely part of it.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I say Canada is the proof. In all of the quality of life polls and the happiness index Canada beats the USA hands down. The more diverse the country gets, the more successful the country as a whole is.
Canada is 77% White and the minorities in the single digits not even up to 5%.
How is that "diverse" ?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Canada is 77% White and the minorities in the single digits not even up to 5%.
How is that "diverse" ?
Take a walk around any of our major cities and you will know how diverse we are. We also have lots and lots of white diversity. We have a lot of Serbian immigrants here in Niagara falls and in my way of thinking they are just as different culturally as any visible minority is.

Last edited by lucknow; 05-22-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 05-22-2013, 02:24 PM

128 posts, read 93,667 times
Quote:
You just highlighted everything wrong with the concept of immigration.

It only benefits companies and the government, not the citizens.

Whoops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies